Viper Rentals...who would beinterrested?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought I've been pondering for a bit: Would there be any interest in renting a Viper?

Without getting off in the weeds concerning, insurance, liability, renters beating the hell out of the car, etc. Just a few simple questions:

1 - Is there any interest in renting a Viper?

2 - How much would interested person be willing to pay? (remember let's stay out of the weeds)

3 - Would there be interest in renting a "track" Viper?

Again, I realize we could have 300 replies on the "what ifs" alone. I'm just curious if folks would be interrested in renting a Viper & how much they would be willing to pay for it. Also renting a track-only Viper they could use for HPDE/Viper Days, etc.

Why? Everytime I fly in somewhere I look to see what kind of vehicles are available for rent. I've found (excluding Las Vegas) only the major airports ( and off airport agencies) offer anything other than the standard rental car fleet (MIA, LAX, DFW, SEA, etc.). I can get a CTS, a GL450, ****-alade, even rented an H2 from Hertz in SEA. Only in MIA did I see renting Porsche's from Royal. I was always willing to pay the premium for the rental but the options simply were not available. Hell, I'd of taken a Corvette if the darn things weren't yellow.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
even the yellow vettes are never available it seems when i want to rent one. has to be a week or more rental and has to come back to the same spot when done...its annoying.

i agree, rent them out. start in charlotte this week if you can. ill be there tomorrow..LOL

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you asking people here to rent their Vipers or are you considering ownership of a rental? (renting yours)

If you are asking people here if they would like to rent a Viper, your answers may be proportionate to reality. Most here already own a Viper (or more). Other than that, all the issues you are saying are "in the weeds", are the true issues to renting.

If you are asking owners if they would rent their Vipers, I think you would find a low number. I am reluctant to let friends drive mine only because the risk of inexperience.

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok - here is my not so original "idea". Everyone throws a fit over wrecked cars (any make/model) saying they are junk, worthless, good for parts only, etc. We all know of the Rent-a-Wreck company and that they found success renting out repaired "wrecks".

Why not apply this to exotics? Buy salvage titled "wrecks" and let folks enjoy them? If you wreck the "wreck", ok. Nothing lost, car was salvage/junk in the eyes of the car (insert make/model here) owners associations and communities.

If I could rent a Viper, Z-06, FGT, etc. Even at $500-1000/day, why not. Take a wrecked ACR to Viper Days, etc. I think it's feasable with the reasonably priced "exotics" like mentioned above + Lotus, Audi, GTR, GT500, etc.

Maybe that will help the replies. Now who wants to start this business with me? :D

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think there is a market for it and a money making model can be made, but the in weeds are real

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rent a track viper. Actually was thinking about that last year, it would be cool to have an ACR-X at the track for a couple days. Would think that you could price it right with some thought. The big issues would be around storage and maint of a track car.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.gothamdreamcars.com a friend of mine started this company with just his one personal car. It was a 360 Modena. He now has over 5 million worth of exotics and does very very very well!!! So yeah it's a great idea fastzilla!

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR(x) track is a simple concept. Set it up as a fly & drive were the car is trailered to the track, topped off with fuel. Has enough brake pads for 10 sessions (you only get 8 at Viper Days over 2 days) and a new set of tires (renter's choice). Renter pays for tires, 1/3 set of brake pads, buys fuel at track & any damage done to car. Delivery & pick up all for $7k'ish per event. Sounds like a ton of money but each NARRA event I've attended winds up costing around $4-5k excluding the car itself (tires $2k, Pads $400, delivery, pick up, etc.).

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but, stupid idea. Rental? A Viper in the hands of an inexperienced driver is calling for a disaster - period.

A wrecked and (poorly?) repaired Viper in the hands of an inexperienced driver is calling for a hole. 7 feet long. 7 feet deep...

Repairing a wrecked Viper to make it drive like "new" is a challenge too. And, it will cost a huge amount of money. If done right.

Taking a wrecked and repaired Viper to a track? Well, I'd feel whether it drives OK or not after several Vipers and +10 years of experience but the average JOE has no idea about the car and may be tempted to push it to the limit - for the first and ............................. last time. :rolleyes:

You better combine a firm of undertakers with such a rental company.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but, stupid idea. Rental? A Viper in the hands of an inexperienced driver is calling for a disaster - period.

A wrecked and (poorly?) repaired Viper in the hands of an inexperienced driver is calling for a hole. 7 feet long. 7 feet deep...

Repairing a wrecked Viper to make it drive like "new" is a challenge too. And, it will cost a huge amount of money. If done right.

Taking a wrecked and repaired Viper to a track? Well, I'd feel whether it drives OK or not after several Vipers and +10 years of experience but the average JOE has no idea about the car and may be tempted to push it to the limit - for the first and ............................. last time. :rolleyes:

You better combine a firm of undertakers with such a rental company.

Exactly. There's a reason why all the dealerships in the Toronto area pulled Vipers from their fleets. You need to be very experienced to drive these vehicles... that being said, I rented a Viper RT/10 in Vegas YEARS ago.... if it wasn't for that car, I wouldn't have bought mine!

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the 1st race only ACR's (pre-ACRx) was a rebuilt wreck that out performed most of the Comp Coupes. You are 100% correct regarding the driver. Unfortunately it falls to folk's moral beliefs & rather or not one man should tell another man what to do or how to live their lives. (EX: No, you cannot rent/drive the Viper because you have no experience with one and that gleam/twitch in you left eye is making me nervous...). As for property damage, that is just a matter of insurance, deposits & waivers. For the track events - if it's restricted to NARRA & other "approved" HPDEs - there is an instructor in the car with the driver & with the car being delivered by the company it's easy to control the venue. I would hope that the driver is inclined to find the limits of the car, especially on the track, that is the point of it (controlled environment, instructors, etc.).

Repairing the wrecks can be costly or not. Simply taking advntage of insurance adjusters ignorance and their binding to formulas and repair cost guides allows savvy folks to buy cars for pennies from insurance companies and repair, correctly, economically. Most track cars have been wrecked and rebuilt numerous times and remain safe and track worthy. Road cars can be done the same.

This gives that avg Joe the opportunity to experience these cars among others. If you consider the avg Joe someone who can pay $1k/day rental fees and the supplimental insurance policies of $200/day along with $10k+ CC deposits.... Kind of rules out the 25yo pony car guy....

Lots of fancy GPS tracking devices now days that log route, speed, etc......

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all "nice" cars - but, no Dodge Viper for a good reason :D

Perhaps, after ESP becomes mandatory for the 2013 SRT Viper.

You are very correct. Cars like the Ferrari 599 & 458 have some of the most sophisticated traction and stability control systems in the world that make those cars safer & easy for the novice to drive. Once those systems are defeated by the novice driver they are better off in a Viper. Professional drivers struggle to drive those 2 particular cars around a track w/o the nannies and turn significantly slower lap times in the process. YouTube the outtakes from shows like Top Gear and others. The performance levels of these cars have reached a point that driving aids are pretty much required for any driver, professional or novice.

Point - if the nannies can be defeated by the renter, they will be... Placing faith & hope in the disciplined nature of renters is a similar crusade as world peace. Trying to screen renters in the hopes that they will not abuse the car will only result in a failed business. Even if every car is destroyed the 1st time it is rented, that is the point of insurance.

Please note: we were all novice Viper drivers at one point in our lives. We were careful and cautious because we had a stake/investment to lose if we were stupid. Renters have the same stake/investment - it's called insurance, deposits, waivers, etc. Now if the renter simply does not care and can afford to lose tens of thousands of dollars, then that renter is really of sound mind & financial ability to make the conscience decision to buy a used VCA pristine Gen 2 and drive it off a cliff just to see the crash on video..... There is only so much one can and should do to protect a person from themselves.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were in fact companies that rented Vipers. Typically in places like Las Vegas, LA, Miami, etc. I believe there is actually a thread on here somewhere about a police officer that rented one for his birthday and then killed himself in it. May have been in NJ or PA, some place back east. Renting Vipers would be a good source for salvaged titled Vipers. Oh wait, which came first the salvage Viper that is rented or the rented Viper that becomes salvage?

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salvage Viper 1st - turned into a rental. Point is to use cars that do not have collectibility, significant historical value, etc. Kind of like a 2nd chance for the wrecked cars. Unfortunately any exotic in the hands of a renter have a very high rate of becoming a pile of parts. There is a lot of morals & emotions surrounding this topic.

I posted specifically the "Viper" as this is the VCA. Obviously there would have to be other cars besides Vipers to make a good business case. The whole track idea came from the BMW dealer here who rents formula Mazdas & Fords - price includes delivery, tires (normal wear parts), you pay damage.

To Nitro187's point - we may have many more Viper owners if folks could actually try before they buy. It's hard to plop down $100k w/o a test drive, but with all the 9 mile (on the odo) wrecked exotics we've all seen, it's easy to understand why. Like the insurance comercial: "You listed this mid-life crisis on the internet....3 emails later...." - wrecked bike...

Back to the main topic. Who would be interrested? What would it be worth (price)? Would folks rent a "track" car to do an HPDE?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested as i am always looking for ways to make $ and/or have fun - Let's talk in Austin this weekend, ok?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I belonged to the San Diego based Luxury Toy Club.

I got to drive lots of exotics, from Vettes, Lambos, AMG, Ferrari, RR, Bentley, Spyker, Maserati, etc. They also had personal yachts and private jets available.

You needed to be Vetted (strange word) for membership before they would accept you.

While driving their cars you were under a rental agreement, where you relied on your own personal insurance coverage to handle any damage you caused. It was up to you to work it out with your own insurance company.

I called my insurance company to see if I was covered by renting a $300,000 Rolls Phantom. They said no problem, and gave me the go ahead for rentals.

Biggest issue would be if you did not disclose to your renters that they were renting a previously repaired wrecked car, with salvage titles.

All their vehicles were automatics.

There have been several rent a viper companies in the past. Remember the company in Vegas renting to members at VOI's. Do not know of any still in business though.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is that many rented Vipers will likely be wrecked especially if they are driven on track IMO. Most people do not treat rentals with the same respect they treat their own cars. Somebody renting a Viper will think they are suddenly Mario Andretti with all the skill of a professional when the fastest thing they probably have ever driven is a Honda.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think first time buyers and those who cant afford the car but can treat themselves for birthdays and special occasions would deft be interested!! I think $500 a day for say 250 mile limit would be great value!! As far as track rentals go, I think 7K is an insane amount of $$ to charge for a 2 day weekend!!

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is that many rented Vipers will likely be wrecked especially if they are driven on track IMO. Most people do not treat rentals with the same respect they treat their own cars. Somebody renting a Viper will think they are suddenly Mario Andretti with all the skill of a professional when the fastest thing they probably have ever driven is a Honda.

I agree with you & think it's an unfortunate reality that must be accepted, expected and provisons made in the rental agreements. On the track side of the house I could only hope that the HPDE instructors and education received would suppress the Andretti-like tendencies.

Paul has good points regarding disclosure & value. The "Vetted" concept is pretty cool.

San Antonio (even DFW & Houston) really don't have much along these lines (comanies). Lots of great roads, tons of race tracks (HPDEs almost every weekend somewhere) and an 11 month driving season. I take it for granted with all the insurance I carry on myself that it's really no big deal, but for many it's a huge concern. Just a week ago I informed one of my guys that the "insurance" he carries on his bike most likely won't cover the damage he can do to a luxury/exotic car if he hits one (I understand the "other" car would be the least of his concern in an accident - context was in regards to him squeezing by my Aston, you can do enough damage to a car like that with a bicycle and burn thru the state $25k required minimum liability.

There is some unterrior motives to a company of this sort for my own personal gain unrelated to the business itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as track rentals go, I think 7K is an insane amount of $$ to charge for a 2 day weekend!!

What do you think is a good price? Keep in mind you'll burn thru $3k in tires, pads, fluids, etc. Wear on the track is 10:1 vs. the street (increased replacement of steering/suspension/drive components). Add in transportation, at least $1k to track of renters choice.

I figure:
$3k tires, fluids, pads, etc.
$1k transportation
$2k rental fee
$1k ???????

I noticed after my 1st track event in the ACR all the squeaks & rattles that popped up. Tracks are very ******* cars & to maintain the integrity of a car for that use it does cost more.

Again, not for everyone & it is pricey, but it's also not your car. Flog it on the track for a few weekends a year (~$20k). Own it/buy your own for a year and do the same (~$40k). Kind of like boats - take one all-inclusive fishing trip once a month for $10k (12/yr = $120k). Own your own & you better triple that number at a minimum.

There are many pros to renting/leasing excluding the tax benefits.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the comments on this thread are... interesting. I have personal experience with this topic, as I have rented a Viper each of the last 3 years. I never had an accident, incident or even a close call behind the wheel. I personally gave the car the respect it was due. One company had been renting a Viper for the last 3 years and another for the last two. Neither one experience a wreck or accident. The company that rented the Viper for the last two years did have a renter who decided to use Sea Foam on the car (not sure why), which burned up the injectors. To my knowledge that was the only negative incident experienced between the two companies.
You have to consider that in the world of high-end rentals you are going to attract a different type of renter. Most likely you are going to get renters who know, love and respect cars, and have the money to make their dream of driving their favorite model come true. Will there be bad eggs who will abuse the car? Probably, but that's the risk you take in that kind of business, and why the "optional" insurance isn't optional.
Now, to answer your original questions, Fast:
1. Interest is going to depend on your area. If you were in Colorado you'd have at least one interested person (me).
2. $500 per day seems to be a typical rate for a Viper. I always rented for 72 hours and paid about $350 per day. Usually you get 100 miles per day, though last year with the newer company I got 150 per day.
3. Track time in a rented car would be fun, but I suspect you'll have a lot of trouble finding insurance (getting into the "weeds," I know).

Now for some other info for you. The company I rented from the first two years recently moved to Austin, TX. They are called Lone Star Exotics. They have some good ideas for the business, so if you are serious about this you should see what they are doing.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish there was a driving school that featured Vipers, kinda like the Vette has with the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School. Go there, pay ~$3,000, and beat on their cars for 3 days. They teach you how to drive them in various situations, with and without functioning ABS, but in a controlled environment, and with the understanding that if you go off track, you'll be responsible for the damage up to a certain dollar amount. It gives you a chance to really learn the car, and more importantly, trust it. They probably just don't make enough Vipers to make this feasible, and the maintenance would be killer, driving up the price of the school. To me, that would be the ultimate way to rent a Viper.

Driving schools aside, I wanted to rent a Viper for my wedding a few years ago, but the rules were so restrictive that I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation. Didn't keep me from wanting it, but it would have been very stressful.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented the one for Victor's birthday that started us on the path to ownership in 2003. I think I paid $400 for a day or $1000 for a 3 day weekend. We had a 250 mile limit, and had limits on crossing state lines. We also had to provide a copy of driver's license and proof of insurance prior to rental to allow the rental company to run a driver's history report and check for points against his license. At the time we rented it, the company was getting ready to sell the car - they couldn't find enough people interested in renting the Viper -- maybe because it was yellow. :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang