Viper steering rack

jpierson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are tie rods serviced separately from the steering rack and, if so, what is the disassembly procedure? I want to move the pinion 2 inches towards the center of the car I'm building so I need to know if there is anyone who modifies steering racks. I need to add 2 inches to the driver side of the rack and subtract 2 inches from the other end in order to re-center the rack.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper inner tie rods are not serviced separately from the rack, as is done on other cars. However, the Viper tie rod is a Dakota tie rod shortened about an inch. You need to purchase the odd-size metric die to run the threads up the rod an inch further, but it is cheaper (if you just need to replace the inner tie rods) to buy Dakota rods and the die than it is to buy a rack.

Under the boot the swivel joint has a flat spot and the rack has a flat spot called the teeth! Use a piece of aluminum to protect them and a good stiff wrench on the rack, another on the swivel joint flats and you can unscrew the rod.

For all that work, you probably have looked at other racks already. For instance, the Dakota rack? Gen 1 front ends were made up from Dakota parts...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960