Viper Stripes

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the stripes on ALL Gen II Vipers painted on or were some vinyl? I know you can feel a ridge on my B/W, but they are painted. Why is there a ridge if they are painted on?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can feel a difference in height on my painted on stripes also. I would think that it's due to the stripes being added on top of the color coat. The parts aren't masked off where the stripes will be prior to laying down the body color, thus there is a difference in thickness of the paint where the stripes are.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the factory clear coated over the entire panel once the car was striped. Had they done this the edge, while still there, would be less prevalent.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To semi-hijack this thread....

Does anyone think that the addition of aftermarket stripes to a stock color will devalue the car in any way?

Am actually thinking about adding some black accents to the front air dam and top two vents (saw it done before to another yellow RT/10, and it looked awesome), but didn't know whether that would subtract from the value in any way.

(As if I care, coz I'll be driving this until my eventual dirt nap)...:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like it and want to do it, why not? Use vinyl if you can so that you can remove it easily if you change your mind. I'm keeping mine until I take that nap, too ... maybe even take it with me!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The premium grade vinyls that they make now are micro thin yet still very durable. The stuff stays put but once you get an edge lifted it peels off clean in one piece but the adhesive is strong. The difference in thickness and the edge on my vinyl is actually less than stock paint. A couple of issues with vinyl on a GenII are obviously the difficulty of doing the hood duct or just not doing it at all like mine. The other problem is that the vinyl is square and the car is round. If you were somehow magigicly able to peel the factory paint stripes off a car you would see that width has to change. The best analogy I can think of would be if if you measure the distance of a hill by laying a tape on the ground and then again by holding the tape level at the highest point you would get two different measurements. The other advice I would offer is that is obviously if your hood or fascia need alignment like many of these cars then do that before doing any kind of stripes.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad i read this post..thought mine must be Vinyl since i could feel a definite ridge. good to know painted leaves the ridge too.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my own and have no ridge...interesting. But I did wet sand and buff/polish. Not sure if the factory wet sanded after clear coating.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As everyone has mentioned, vipers with stripes from the factory are painted on. You'll find a lot of vipers that had vinyl stripes installed too (aftermarket).

My car originally didn't have stripes. After looking at several pictures of cars with stripes, I decided that I had to have them. IMO, they do a good job of breaking up the large look of the car. I had a local vinyl expert cut and install the stripes. The viper is a very difficult car to stripe, due to all of the curvatures. I'm very happy with the way they turned out.

You must be registered for see images attach

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI if memory serves there actually was a year when the put vinyl stripes on and cleared over them, maybe '95? Viper historians check in.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI if memory serves there actually was a year when the put vinyl stripes on and cleared over them, maybe '95? Viper historians check in.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your memory no longer serves. LOL
First factory stripes were 96. They were painted. No stripes at all prior to 96.
To clearcoat tape would make no sense at all.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your memory no longer serves. LOL
First factory stripes were 96. They were painted. No stripes at all prior to 96.
To clearcoat tape would make no sense at all.

Hmmm....I am pretty sure there was a run of RT/10's with the saber tooth stripes that were vinyl and cleared. Jon B would know...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RTs have vinyl stripes...cleared over.

All the GTS stripes were painted. Then cleared.

Thanks Matt.
ViperJon 1 SDaddy 0
Guess the memory didn't fail after all......

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to paint mine on, when he did them he clear coated over the stripes so you couldn't feel the difference from the stripes to the paint. I also decided to go thru the naca duct and license plate.:D

I just like that total 'skunk' look!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting...I had a ViperTech tell me that stripes on '96 were vinyl with clear over them.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to paint mine on, when he did them he clear coated over the stripes so you couldn't feel the difference from the stripes to the paint. I also decided to go thru the naca duct and license plate.:D

I just like that total 'skunk' look!

Leslie......I think that looks very nice and I like the stripes thru the plate also. I had a 97 GTS I had painted like that red with white stripes thru the plate......:2tu: :2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Felt like it was a new Viiper when I had it done....to me it's just a 'signature' look of the Vipers.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Matt.
ViperJon 1 SDaddy 0
Guess the memory didn't fail after all......

:D you are correct Jon.

1996 RT color combos.

white w/blue fang stripes and white wheels, black/with silver fang stripes. And who could forget the McViper. Which had the yellow SP emblems on the hood and yellow "mcwheels" on it. All 3 were clear coated over vinyl graphics

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21