Viper Tech @ Jack Carroll Dodge?

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if there's a good Viper Tech at Jack Carroll Dodge in Lynnwood currently? I've got something I need to have looked at (giving it throttle in any gear doesn't produce the power curve it should - it behaves like it's not getting fuel when I push the go pedal down, and it makes a weird kind of crackling sound. I can slowly ramp up my speed but any real throttle demand and it limps). There are no engine fault codes and I'm thinking fuel filter or exhaust system.

Figures - I just finished detailing it :)

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no more Jack Carroll Dodge.
It's a used car lot now.
They went away quite a while ago.
They will find you a car if you ask them.

PBR

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh - I've learned that now, with a little help. I'm glad I didn't just drive up there one morning looking for a service department.

GreenViper also suggested Rairdon's in Totem Lake and I spoke to one of their service guys who pointed me to the Monroe Rairdon's where their viper tech & master mechanic works.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you confirm the Viper Tech at Monroe Rairdon's? To my knowledge, they haven't had one since Cam left there. He was their tech - I had him put on the factory stiffener recall there several years ago.

Also, I bought my truck there, and I check in every so often, but as far as I know, they've never gotten another Viper tech.

I now take the truck to Rairdon's Kirkland for routine service, just because it's a lot closer, and they get high marks!

BTW - I had an emergency at PIR this weekend, and Ken Klickman and his staff of Viper techs at Timberline (formerly Dodge) Auto gave me the red carpet treatment again! Got me in immediately, fixed me up, and sent me on my way. Fantastic service, reasonable charges.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy I spoke to at Kirkland Rairdon's said that the Viper Tech worked out of the Monroe Rairdon's, and the service guy I spoke to at Monroe said they had a viper tech and he was "one of 20 master mechanics in Washington state".

I spoke to Ken and I'd love to take it down there but I'm thinking more and more that this is a cat problem (behaves just like a previous car I drove did when the cat went bad) so I don't want to drive it far and I'm not set up to trailer it down right now. So I'm thinking I'll get the problem taken care of locally and then maybe some high-flow cats w/Ken are in my future :)

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've got trailer, my F250 should have a new torque converter by tomorrow afternoon - though it's up in Snohomish. I've never had an FE GTS for the weekend before, though I'm still thinking Clint's Copperhead is a better babysitting deal.:D

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rairdon's in Monroe has had it this week. I thought it was a cat problem going in. Today they got to it and they think I got some bad gasoline - maybe some water in the tank. I'm not sure how that could've happened unless the Issaquah Costco or Sammamish Shell station have tank leaks. They're dumping the current fuel, cleaning out the fuel line, cleaning the injectors and we'll see how it goes from there.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been fighting the bad fuel problem on my small boat for months now. Here's a few tips to keep in mind regarding fuel.....

1. There was a lot of publicity last fall about how newer blends of gasoline (10% alcohol) were going to have a seriously degraded shelf life from now on - down from about 90 days to about 30 days! Believe it. If you keep fuel in your tank longer than 30 days, better get a fuel stabilizer, and add it when you fill up. I prefer PRI-G - it has worked well on my bigger boat and Viper for years now.
2. COSTCO is a great store. But their gas has no additives in it. To keep the price low, they buy low end fuel without additives. This means that a regular diet could cause all kinds of problems if you don't add the additives yourself. And they're not the only ones who do that.
3. If you don't use it all the time, be sure to store it with the tank full, and ALWAYS use gas stabilizer. If you keep it for weeks or months at a time with the tank low on fuel, especially during the summer, water can accumulate through temperature change and condensation. Note that this is much less of a problem on a car, since your fuel tank is sealed and pressurized. On a boat, it's vented and open. But you could still have this problem if you don't fill your tank all the way when you do put gas in it.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

Steve

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good lord! :omg: Don't ever put that crap that Costco sells in anything you own. My neighbor from 6 years ago bought some of that junk and it wouldn't even keep his lawn mower running with all of the water it had in it.

Shell, Chevron, 76; o.k. - Arco, Costco, Safeway, 7/11; not o.k. You'll eventually pay for the cheap gas in reduced fuel economy (reduced/non-existant additives) or in increased engine wear. Any time I've tried the cheap stuff, I've ended up with pinging or the car just felt sluggish. Costco's good for TV's and massive quantities of toilet paper, not gas.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here I thought Costco was cheaper out of the goodness of their corporate heart :) Live and learn - Shell and stabilizers it is from now on.

New update, the bad news: cats are blown. The good news: JonB is doing a drop-ship for Randomtech metal high-flow cats.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good lord! :omg: Don't ever put that crap that Costco sells in anything you own. My neighbor from 6 years ago bought some of that junk and it wouldn't even keep his lawn mower running with all of the water it had in it.

Shell, Chevron, 76; o.k. - Arco, Costco, Safeway, 7/11; not o.k. You'll eventually pay for the cheap gas in reduced fuel economy (reduced/non-existant additives) or in increased engine wear. Any time I've tried the cheap stuff, I've ended up with pinging or the car just felt sluggish. Costco's good for TV's and massive quantities of toilet paper, not gas.

Charley--------
I have been using Costco gas in "almost" everything I have since gas went over $4 a gallon last year with no ill effects or reduction in gas mileage. That include the CTS-V, the Ram and the Caliber (which get 32 miles/gallon around town on Costco gas).

I won't use Shell because it stinks so bad in my riding lawn tractor and outboard motor. For the smaller engines and the boats I use Chevron 100% of the time.

Lately I have started to use a gass additive that is also a stabilizer. It is called Soltron. It claims to prevent the stratification of the ethanol for more than 6 months. One teaspoon treats 5 gallons of gas. The bad news is it removes the varnish in the tanks and the system so especially in the boats, you need to have an extra fuel filter handy.

Oh- the Viper only gets Chevron too.

PBR

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charley--------
I have been using Costco gas in "almost" everything I have since gas went over $4 a gallon last year with no ill effects or reduction in gas mileage. That include the CTS-V, the Ram and the Caliber (which get 32 miles/gallon around town on Costco gas).

I won't use Shell because it stinks so bad in my riding lawn tractor and outboard motor. For the smaller engines and the boats I use Chevron 100% of the time.

Lately I have started to use a gass additive that is also a stabilizer. It is called Soltron. It claims to prevent the stratification of the ethanol for more than 6 months. One teaspoon treats 5 gallons of gas. The bad news is it removes the varnish in the tanks and the system so especially in the boats, you need to have an extra fuel filter handy.

Oh- the Viper only gets Chevron too.

PBR

I'm tellin' Barbara that you're putting Costco gas in her car while the Viper gets Chevron!

Maybe being across the street from corporate HQ, the Issaquah Costso can handle more complaints about water in the fuel. Just anecdotal evidence, but I won't fuel up there. I know there is always a line around the block to get in and most of the cars run fine, but I'm not willing to risk it on my iron.

I wrecked a car a long time ago and severed most of the nerves in my nose, so I'll take your word on the smell of Shell. I'll look into the Soltron for the RV too. The Viper doesn't need it as I usually fill up once a week. :D 29,000 miles and counting!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Chevron or 76 for most everything, the biggest reason is that they are more expensive than just about anyone and that means there is never a line.
It is worth the extra $1.27 that it will end up costing me just not to have to be in line. I also find that they have nicer facilities than the cheaper stations

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Costco gas without any issues. We always add Stabil before storage in the winter in everything including lawnmower and so far that recipe seems to keep everything working just fine.

I do use 76 or Shell in the Viper when heading to the race track.

mikelet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my two cents ... after putting Costco gas in my Jetta (several years ago) ... it kept hissing and spitting ... I will never use Costco gas again ... I only use SHELL ... in my Viper and all other cars.

FYI: I had a conversation with a pipeline engineer ... here is what he told me ... all the gas going into the pipeline is the same until the various additives are added for each individual gas company (Shell, Texaco, Chevron etc) ... what the independents buy is the transition gas ... between the various suppliers of gas ... so you really don't know what you are getting from the independents.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my car back and it sounds excellent. Metal RandomTech cats are roaring!

When I picked it up today I spoke to Scott, their viper tech, and came away satisfied. He doesn't see many Vipers, but has worked on more in the past and owned an ACR with 700rwhp that he purchased from someone in Florida. He sold it before he moved up here.

The cats arrived yesterday and were installed by late morning today. Everything looks like it was put back together right so far.

So it's closer than Portland for stuff that doesn't demand Ken's expertise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper