Viper to be Replaced?

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the new chyrsler sports car in development, does anyone think that this, over time, will replace the viper? :confused:

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cease production perhaps...replaced? Never! the Viper is irreplaceable! It commands respect that's why you have to refer to it by it's entire name and no abbreviation will do!

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No! We were just at a VCA club meeting in Atlanta at Crysler's Training center. We put them (Crysler guys) on the line and asked that very question. They said they will likely kill the crossfire, come out with the firepower with the V8 to compete with the Vettes, and shortly after will come out with an even more powerful V10 Viper as their King daddy world killer. That's what they said, but who knows. As we all know, things can change overnight in business!

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Crossfire will be droppen in 2008. It is a complete sales bomb and now can be picked up new in the low 20's

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yawn! The Viper is going down. CAAP is probably ready for another month off. The SRT-10 coupe is the last nail in the coffin. From now on, it's just a long, slow, annoying funeral procession.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess people were smart enough to see the Crossfire for what it was....the last gen SLK. The new SLK's are flying off dealers lots (as with most new Mercedes models) for a substantial amount more $$$ than a Crossfire. Maybe it's the folding hardtop...

Has any car company EVER done that before? Taken an outgoing model and put a new skin on it to sell as another brand?

As far as the Viper 'being replaced'. I dunno. If the Firepower is a huge hit, they might dwindle Viper production down to 1-2 cars a day, then either do a redesign or kill it.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper replaced? no. once they get the sales back up with the new coupe we might just see a new ACR (hopefully). :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Death to the Viper and may ours increase in value!Or come out with an even lower volume world ******.Superb brakes,handling,LOOKS and 600 HP required.Gas mileage be damned and left to the inbreds or is that hybreds and scooters. GTS Bruce

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firepower! is not designed to replace Viper, but to expand the platform. It uses the same basic Viper platform, and installs a V-8 and different interior and body panels. This would compete with a completely different buyer. DC fans could buy this instead of a Vette, Aston Martin, or Bentley.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firepower! is not designed to replace Viper, but to expand the platform. It uses the same basic Viper platform, and installs a V-8 and different interior and body panels. This would compete with a completely different buyer. DC fans could buy this instead of a Vette, Aston Martin, or Bentley.

Excellent explanation. And that will allow SRT to spread cost over the whole platform and pull enough sales off an expanded base of 20,000 or maybe more cars to allow further development of a higher powered special Viper or maybe just a regular higher powered Viper. They are constrained at this point from a $ standpoint as each platform must stand on it's own. Expanding the platform with a broader selling, more mainstram car to go after the Vette at it's $50,000 price point is the answer to develop more profit to throw at a higher performance Viper. This is exactly how GM afforded the substantial investment in the new Z. They had 30,000 other regular Vettes driving money into the program. SRT has figured this out and they are on it. Not only that but the Firepower is going to make a lot better everyday car or driver than the Vette.

lilfedncc06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
idk, if it will be replaced but i have heard of that firepower, it has crossfire styling on a viper chasis.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the new chyrsler sports car in development, does anyone think that this, over time, will replace the viper? :confused:

Only with a better Viper ;)

Let's all start trying to make sure the Fire Power is a DODGE like it should have been. Dodge is the performance division, there is a slot open below the Viper in "Corvette" land..... it should be filled in a Dodge branded vehicle. Just my humble opinion :)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well with gas prices rising alot more will actually think if they need a sport car in there garage.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well with gas prices rising alot more will actually think if they need a sport car in there garage.

I agree. I think there is a psychological factor that will hit people if/when the price hits $3 (which it already has in places). I hope it goes down, but it looks bad. I have started combining trips, etc., to save gas, and all this bodes poorly for future gas eating cars, at least for me.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replaced??? Yup... With a more power under the hood. And maybe no viper tax :eek: :D
And yeah the gas in my area already at 3.499/gal :mad:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< And yeah the gas in my area already at 3.499/gal >>

REALLY? the gas prices around here have dropped quite a bit over the last few weeks.

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Viper was introduced it was a 'halo' car: something to make people think Chrysler had products worth examining. Let's not forget that this was still the era of the dreaded "K-car". Part of the engineering justification was learning how to work with composites that led to the minivans.

So it's now 15 years since the designers went to work on the Viper and things have changed a lot. DC no longer needs a halo car: the product line includes gorgeous cars like the Crossfire, Charger, PT Cruiser, Magnum and more. An engineering justification? Probably not: the smart companies are investing in engine technology and better manufacturing neither of which a hand-made gas guzzler help with.

Can the Viper survive on it's economic merits? Maybe. I don't really know what the margins are like, but I know that there are a *ton* of supercars now in the $100-150K range. You've got everything from gentleman exotic touring cars like Aston-Martin, Panoz, and even DC's own cars. On the performance side the market is just silly with cars from Porsche, Lotus, Ford GT, Ferrari, and TVR (in non-US markets). Can the product be positioned a little less expensively? That doesn't seem too likely either since the Corvette has an incredible price point. (I can't stand to own one, but I have to respect the price/performance package.) So you can't go upsteam (over $100K) and you can't build a car that is less powerful than a Z06. That's a narrow range in which to design and market a car!

The good news for DC is that the Viper has enough of a following that many still aspire to own one. There is a market of guys who want great performance but can't stand to consider a Vette. Moving upstream probably can't work, but keeping the car around $80K should result in sales.

One thing I don't think that affects the car is the price of gasoline. People might drive them less, but the truth is that not too many people use their Viper as their daily driver. They want an exotic that they play with from time to time. High fuel prices stunt sales of SUVs and V-8s like the Magnum and Mustang (note how the great styling on both those cars has helped them). If anything, it makes an exotic even more exotic and thus more desirable.

Should be interesting to see what DC comes up with. The car certainly could be cancelled. It might also be able to be farmed out to a speciality shop much like Ford did with some cars. 2007 will be very interesting!

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember I said it first. Two to three more years adn they will kill her off.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I don't think that affects the car is the price of gasoline. People might drive them less, but the truth is that not too many people use their Viper as their daily driver. They want an exotic that they play with from time to time. High fuel prices stunt sales of SUVs and V-8s like the Magnum and Mustang (note how the great styling on both those cars has helped them). If anything, it makes an exotic even more exotic and thus more desirable.

I agree. You don't go buying a $80K+ sports car and then worry about how your gonna make the fuel payments.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may have missed Dan Knott's (head of SRT) quote right here in this forum (as posted by Joe Houss):

"I can assure you that I will be looking with one eye on what is going on with Viper. I know what the future holds and I know you will be amazed and delighted. I can honestly say that we listened to what you said and delivered everything we could to satisfy you. My successor will be named in a few weeks. We have discussed what this person needs to succeed and what they need to work with the VCA. You can rest in knowing that they will have the passion and skills to keep this Viper thing going for a long long time to come. We will not rest and we will not back down. There is no give up in Chrysler, SRT or Mopar!"

and

"Have fun with those Vipers and save a few coins for what is coming at you in the next few years. You will be amazed and delighted!"

No worries here...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nootice he doesn't tell you to save your coins for a Viper. GTS Bruce

But he does say, "You can rest in knowing that they will have the passion and skills to keep this Viper thing going for a long long time to come."

Good enough for me...

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a supercharged redesigned version for 2010 with factory 800 hp :laugh: I'll be out of school with money to burn :laugh: Blue w/ white stripes for the next one :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang