Viper tranny issues/rebuilders?

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night i performed the dreaded missed downshift(i beleive it was 1-2-1 or something). The rears locked up and i pressed in the clutch ASAP. Now when driving on the highway(not noticable in traffic) there is a whine from the tranny area when throttle is applied(goes away when you let off the gas). It happens no matter what gear you are in. Normally i would think a whine in every gear would be the rear end but this is definitly coming from below the shifter. Anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas? Where do you guys go for rebuilds? Its not a pressing issue since it still shifts fine but i'll fix it over the winter for sure..

Travis

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put one in 2 months ago. Got it from Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions from Phoenix,AZ & was built up better than stock. Paid $3000 & got $1000 back when I sent them my core. Also they give a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. Phone # 623-936-1500 or 800-399-5540.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a local Tranny Shop do mine, over a year ago. I wanted to save my tranny so it stayed a numbers matching car.
Let me know if you want to go that route and I can advise you.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tranny whines too . . .

Since I have no Viper experience, I was not sure if the whining from my 98 GTS (just got it two weeks ago) was normal. You have me all nervous now that maybe it is injured. Just like yours, it drives fine, but the whine changes dependign on throttle positions/compression braking/accelerating etc.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My tranny whines too . . .

Plan was to drain it yesterday, but ended up spending so much time atacking squeaks in the interior my bud with the rack gave up and called it a day. Hopefully next Saturday. At least the interior is quiet now (what you can hear over the stupid-loud exhaust).