Viper vs. GT

Hye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who can tell me the production numbers for 2003-2005 SRT-10's?

Also who can tell me the production number for 2005-2005 Ford GT?

Please respond with numbers if you know for a fact that they are correct!!!

Thank you

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help with your VIN question, but I couldn't help but notice similarities in our car collections. My current stable:

2005 Ford GT
2005 MB SL65AMG
2005 Lotus Elise
2004 MiniCooper S JCW
2001 BMW Z8

and best of all 2006 SRT-10 Coupe on order!!!!!!!

Oh, and don't "sell to make room"...that is what parking lifts are for!

OP
OP
H

Hye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have a lift in my garage and a 2 car storage unit

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Florida Chris-
Have you tracked your FGT yet?

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Florida Chris-
Have you tracked your FGT yet?

No, not yet. Not fully broken in yet (only 700 miles). I am hoping to get on the track in Homestead this fall at some point.

OP
OP
H

Hye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color did you get and in what month did you receive the car?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you

Go with the Merci, a much better car in all respects. PM me if you need details. Honestly, no comparison between the Ford GT and Merci.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it depends. ive seen them both in person and the ford GT looks much better. and price wise the FGT is better. the murci is cool but its too bulky for me. i pefer the gallarado. if your going with performance i would get the murci because of its AWD and it has 30 more HP. But if your going to get the murci WAIT because there will be a new model the SV that will have much more HP. what ever you buy there both great cars. :2tu:

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color did you get and in what month did you receive the car?

Mine is white with blue stripes. Serial number in the high 700s so it was produced after the initial recalls. I took delivery of the car in April.

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have any pics of the FGT?

Here's a few:

You must be registered for see images

Honestly, no comparison between the Ford GT and Merci.

I agree with this statement completely. Having driven both, I made my choice. There is truly no comparison. Get the Ford GT...just make sure you KEEP THE VIPER!!!

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
That's a great looking car and that is the color I would choose if I were to get one. I had the opportunity to sit in one a couple of weeks ago and found that there was very little head room. I doubt that I could have worn my helmet without it contacting the roof. I am almost 6'2". Have you found anything else about the car that you don't like?

Bob K

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
I've been thinking about getting the FGT but am concerned about comments of not being able to get in or out of the car unless you can swing the door wide open (due to the way the door cuts into the roof).

This would mean I could not take it to work since someone parks beside me (assigned parking spots).

Also heard that rear view is terrible... side view mirrors only when backing up?

Alternatively I am thinking of getting the Viper coupe and putting in a Paxton. Would make a better daily driver and a lot less $$ to boot.

What are your thoughts on the GT as a regular (if not daily) driver?

Anyone else with the GT can speak up here.

Thanks

427Aggie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not going to have a final production run on the 05 GT's until the end of October. They are saying somewhere between 3000-3800 total through October 06' and thats it.

I just worked out a deal with a dealer thats ordering one of his allocation in the Heritage package for 06' for me..selling the 65' cobra replica but KEEPING THE VIPER.

They are running about 9 a day now so go to the site above and figure what they did to date and what they can do by Octobers end and you will have what should be built.

Personally the door problem isn't a problem for me because I never!!! never park near other cars when I am in the viper so I sure as hell won't do it in the GT.

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
That's a great looking car and that is the color I would choose if I were to get one. I had the opportunity to sit in one a couple of weeks ago and found that there was very little head room. I doubt that I could have worn my helmet without it contacting the roof. I am almost 6'2". Have you found anything else about the car that you don't like?

Bob K

Funny you should only ask about what I have found that I don’t like. Although I would guess the likes are pretty obvious. Anyway, here’s a rundown of my impressions of the car…likes and dislikes.

Dislikes:

- Attracts a crowd…and you thought the Viper was a showstopper. You will always have a pack of cars around you on the freeway and a crowd around the car when you park it. Especially when you pull into a gas station.

- The ‘A’ pillar is pretty wide, on tight left corners you will find your self looking through the side window at times to see around it.

- Visibility in the rear quarters is tough, though not as tough as my Lotus. Just adjust the side view mirrors properly and you should be OK, but just barely OK. View out the rear view mirror is limited but adequate.

- You need three feet of side clearance to get in and out of the car (I measured it). I NEVER park that close to anyone anyway, but still three feet of clearance keeps you from parking right up against a hedge or building for “protection”.

- The turning radius is pretty wide.

- There is absolutely no where to store anything inside the car, a couple of mesh pockets are it. The front trunk is tiny.

- Gotta love that body! Fit, finish and paint are top notch.

- Made in the good ol’ USA :usa:

- Incredible power, linear and broad across the power band.

- Light and easy to modulate clutch.

- Very quick turn in and handling is razor precise. Lateral G’s will give you nose bleed.

- Supercharger sound is to die for.

- Tires have enormous grip. While it is hard to break the rears free, it is not squirrelly at all when you do. Brakes are great too though I believe a Viper will out brake it.

- A/C will freeze you out of the car. No heat problems at all.

- Pretty decent stereo (if you ever turn it on).

- Very exclusive. I have never seen another one on the road. I'd bet that half of these cars are in the hands of serious collectors that will rarely if ever drive or track the car.

I am 6'0" and I fit in the car with a helmet on without problem. There is plenty of seat travel and I would guess you could tilt the seat back to give you additional head room if you needed it. Leg room is not an issue. The car is plenty big inside.

I would not recommend the Ford GT as a daily driver. Aside from the lack of storage for anything, the car attracts way too much attention. Given the turning radius at low speeds I’d be afraid of curbing the wheels at fast food and bank drive through lanes. Save yourself the aggravation and pick something else for your daily commute.

OP
OP
H

Hye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the car sound and do you know if there is like a borla exhaust made for the car?

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the car sound and do you know if there is like a borla exhaust made for the car?

Stock the car is pretty quiet. A little too quiet in my opinion. Ford SVT has contracted with Borla to make an after market muffler and header. It is available through Ford Racing. They are supposed to be available, but I have not received mine yet although I ordered it a month or so ago.

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris,

That has got to be most honest review of a Ford GT from a owner I have ever read. Please post your review of your coupe when you get it. I would greatly respect your opinion on it.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prodution numbers of SRT's
2003 - 1875
2004 - 2435
2005 - final numbers not aailable yet but some things are known..

300 Copperheads
200 Silver Mambas
100 Commemorative editions (white with blue stripes) 50 Yellow VCA Editions

OP
OP
H

Hye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flordia Chris... when are you planning on receiving the exhaust and also have you heard the setup that you are going to install?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love everything about the car but the exhaust, it's awful. Sounds worse than a C6 vette, which is to say no sound. No gurgle, no roughness at all.

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you

Go with the Merci, a much better car in all respects. PM me if you need details. Honestly, no comparison between the Ford GT and Merci.

Any chance you could tell us why you think the Merci is better? What's actually better? How much time do you have in both cars? I need the details! 8^)

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT is teh best looking car on the road right now.

Love the White and Blue. Hope to get one before the production ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang