Viper Wreck in NJ

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just laughing here because it is true. I take it for granted because this is where I live and where I grew up......but alas it is true. Heck....you could be in Deal where some of the hugest mansions on the Atlantic coast are, and literally over the canal (1/4 mile) you are in Asbury Park........GREETINGS.....

Your radar detector is worthless because of all the anti-theft systems in the city. Your meter is pegged as you drive through.

I believe you are correct....at my last recollection, at one time, NJ had 5 of the top 10 most auto theft prone cities in the USA. We had 50% of them......wow.

That is why NJ has the highest auto insurance rates.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny i ll be away on business and if someone will ask me where Iam from i reply Monmouth County NJ (Red Bank, Freehold, Asbury Park )When they hear Asbury Park inevitably Springsteens name in conjection with the Stone Pony comes up.Peoples perception of the Pony and Asbury Park is so different than what it actually is -redown area(Iam being kind ) (One time i was there many years ago in college, the bouncers tossed a guy out -he came back and threw a teargas grenade into the place packed with people-GREETINGS FROM ASBURY PARK )

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or within 5 miles you can go from Navasink River road Middletown 15 million dollar homes (Bon Jovi lives and alot of celebs live on this road ) to Keansburg where probably half the town is unemployeed.It would be culture shock for you.One minute are cops are dealing with a guy in a Ferrari (who donated thousands to his local PBA )the next they are backing up a brawl in the projects.

Man, what gives with the stereotype of the South!? Not everyone down here lives in a shack and drives a 1950 Ford pickup lol. :nono: In regard to Bon Jovi and Ferraris, well this is "Music City" you know, so there's one or two musicians with lots and lots of money that live and/or have multi-million dollar homes here too. ;) As a matter of fact, I just did a MLS search for homes over 2 million dollars for sale here...search came back with 189 results. Wow, that makes me want to tune-up my guitar lol. :guitar:

Yeah, we have PBA supporters as well. However the holy-grail for active or retire police officers who are also PBA members is a PBA license plate - among various other TN plates that can only be obtained by law-enforcement officers.
You must be registered for see images

Not to mention we have additional specialty plates for Freemasons, doctors, firefighters, rescue squad, etc. There's over a dozen plates just for military personnel to choose from. Tennessee has so many specialty plates that it's not uncommon for me to run across one I've never even seen before. -"http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/licenseplates/specialty.htm"

Even just the other day, I stopped Elvis lol.

:cop: "Just a warning to slow down Mr. Presley."
:2tu: "Thank you officer...thank you very much."

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS counselor i basically was trying to explain certain police protocall issues involving our state (with something like 1200 people per square mile )to Cobra.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra i was not trying to dispute demographics with you or (i have been in the south many times(Atlanta) and its a very-very nice place)but in some of the above towns in NJ i mentioned 2 million does not get you a building lot and 1 mile down the road from professional them your in the projects. If you guys down there dont extend coutesy and special treatment ECT what exactly is the purpose PBA PLATES.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra i was not trying to dispute demographics with you or (i have been in the south many times(Atlanta) and its a very-very nice place)but in some of the above towns in NJ i mentioned 2 million does not get you a building lot and 1 mile down the road from professional them your in the projects. If you guys down there dont extend coutesy and special treatment ECT what exactly is the purpose PBA PLATES.

I'm not trying to debate with you either, only having a friendly conversation. Again, most of my statements here are just statements to address anyone reading, as they are certainly not directed at you personally. But to answer your question regarding PBA plates, I see it no different than someone who has a license plate which displays their favorite football team or college. It shows support and camaraderie between like minded individuals. As far as football goes, I like the Tennessee Titans, but I'm not going to give a Titan's fan with a TN Titan license plate any more courtesy than I would someone else...because I try to extend my courtesy to EVERYONE - as I will explain later...

But first, I'd like to mention a thing or two here. Long before I became a Deputy, I had my fair share of being pulled over by law enforcement. I always had nice sportscars and of course the Viper. I've been followed, paced, turned around on, and pulled over in every one of them. Not all of the stops I felt were justified or ethical, but that's another story...anyway, take the times I have been pulled over for legitimately speeding (over 10mph) when I was a civilian, at least 90% of the time I was let off with a verbal warning.

Since becoming involved in law enforcement, I've become extremely conscientious and diligent in my actions and behavior both on and off-duty. But a few years ago, I was off-duty in my F150 and got pulled over for speeding. The irony about that is this, that is the only time I've been pulled over since I've been in law enforcement and I was only doing 10mph over, slower than I had ever been pulled over as a civilian. I was about a quarter mile beyond where the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55mph. The officer stopped me and approached my vehicle. He asked for my license, registration, and insurance. He informed me that they (Nashville Metro PD) are enforcing a zero tolerance policy on speeding, so 1mph over is a citation. As I was pulling my license out of my wallet, he caught a glimpse of my badge. He then began to apologized and said that they do not give any officers any breaks - including their own when off-duty. After all, traffic stops are recorded and may be evaluated by their supervisors. So therefore, I received a speeding ticket.

I have no problem whatsoever with my citation. I applaud the officer that issued me the ticket and I hold no animosity between he or the Nashville PD. Even recently, the Nashville Police Chief's son was arrested for DUI while sitting in his parked car. He was given no special treatment by PD or the Chief. Although many don't approve of Nashville's Chief policies in general, he gets some respect from me for having his officers enforce the law without bias. As long as there is consistency in the enforcement of policy here, that is fine with me.

Personally, in my traffic enforcement, I have a very tolerant attitude and I feel as though I'm VERY fair. I always try to put myself in their shoes. I ask myself, "What would I have done under a similar situation and circumstance?". I try to treat everyone the same and give the benefit of the doubt. I will say this, and I'm sure many officers will agree, that being polite, having a good attitude, and showing respect will go further than anything else. Doing that does not guarantee that you will always get a warning, but behaving the opposite can guarantee that you will always get a ticket - with or without a badge.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 cobra, just curious, did you go to court for the ticket(where there would be a good chance of the officer not showing and the ticket gets thrown out), traffic school or pay it outright?

Just for the record, zero tolerance is BS. As humans, we will mess up, but it shouldn't alway be recorded.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 cobra, just curious, did you go to court for the ticket(where there would be a good chance of the officer not showing and the ticket gets thrown out), traffic school or pay it outright?

Just for the record, zero tolerance is BS. As humans, we will mess up, but it shouldn't alway be recorded.

I thought it would be unethical to attempt to have the ticket fought or thrown out. Sure, I could have probably pulled some strings, challenged it myself or at the very least had an attorney take care of it. But I was in fact guilty of speeding and so plead as such in traffic court. And I sure would not swear against another officer that I wasn't speeding, when in fact I technically was. Therefore, I went to traffic school to keep the ticket off my record just like everyone else did.

I agree with your opinion of zero tolerance. I think an officer stopping someone for anything less than 5 or 10mph over (except in a school zone or construction zone) is somewhat unnecessary - unless of course there are additional circumstances which contribute to warrant such a traffic stop.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, in my traffic enforcement, I have a very tolerant attitude and I feel as though I'm VERY fair. I always try to put myself in their shoes. I ask myself, "What would I have done under a similar situation and circumstance?". I try to treat everyone the same and give the benefit of the doubt.

I'll remember this crap if you ever pull me over. I know where you live!! :D

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll remember this crap if you ever pull me over. I know where you live!! :D

Yeah Ted, and how many times have I been by your house on patrol? One of the perks of you living within my county isn't it? lol!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cobra its just a different culture in TN .In Jersey our Pba Plates and Bumper Stickers (I Support NJ State Police) ect are displayed with the hope that professional courtesy be extended ect =get the person displaying them out of a ticket.You mentioned a zero tolerance policy in which everyone thats stopped got a ticket for 1 mph over. Besides the fact cops dont give other cops tickets in a million years that would never fly up here.(No where near feasable with amount of people we have and traffic on the roads in such a small state.It would flat out waste police manpower and totally tie up the court systems )I can not imagine what would happen if say for instance a person is stopped and written (1 mph over )in his or her town and that particular person in the last few years has donated thousands of dollars to the local PBA .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS Anyone from NJ can you imagine the Troopers stopping and giving a ticket to EVERY car and truck on the NJ Turnpike for going 66 mph.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty interesting,iwould really love to see what would happen if a 20 plus year veteran State Trooper was stopped and written (1 mph over ) by a local kid fresh from the academy or a local major league PBA benefactor(one of the guys who buys numerious bullet proof vests yearly ect )was also written for doing the same.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, he was there. Chip would not let him hang out with the group for some reason. Here's what he drove down there:

Come on Ted, we all know you bought that at our department seizure auction for your ice-cream shop/daycare.:dance::sombrero: :quack: :baby: :coy: :hatdude: :heart: :love: :famous:

LOL!! :hahaup: :rolaugh:

Last edited: