Viper Wreck in NJ

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The insurance industry has to be taking notice (everything is a statistic to them )

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a tragic story and it is very unfortunate that a officer lost his life. With that said, there's no need to jump to conclusions that something illegal or unethical occurred here.

After all, it is possible for the officers to be on-duty but not "in-service". If that be the case, it would be their personal time during a shift to do whatever they want (aka lunch break), whether it be to run errands, grocery shop or rent a car - including a Viper. Had this exact situation occurred involving the officers in a rented Dodge Neon, I doubt there would be such scrutiny.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were a Viper owner and a cop, I'd hate to think that I would be initially accused of wrong-doing in the event of an accident simply because I was driving it (or a rented Viper) while in uniform. :nono:

Lt. Christopher Zerby, rest in peace Brother. :(

Last edited:

Barry

VCA Member
Reaction score
"Very sad.I have an account off 130 .Pretty straight forward road.I wonder if in fact what happened was due to driver error in a 500 hp car."

Old cold tires perhaps?

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Wreck in NJ - Update

Officer Charged With Colleague's Death In Crash

Police Lieutenant Allegedly Traveling Twice Speed Limit

TRENTON, N.J. -- A North Brunswick police lieutenant has been charged with vehicular homicide in the death of a fellow officer following a high-speed car crash last month.

According to investigators, 40-year-old Lt. Keith Buckley allegedly was driving at least 94 mph in a 45 mph zone on Aug. 12 in a rented Dodge Viper. The car crashed into a utility pole, killing 41-year-old Lt. Christopher Zerby, police said.

Zerby was a 15-year veteran of the force and in charge of the North Brunswick police's traffic safety division.

Buckley, an 18-year veteran of the department and head of the patrol division, suffered minor injuries in the crash.

Buckley also is charged with reckless driving and speeding. If convicted of vehicular homicide, he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Police said alcohol and drugs were not factors in the crash.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper Wreck in NJ - Update

I still don't get WHY they were in a rented VIPER while on-duty, and what happened to who they were allegedly chasing? More questions than answers. ~juli

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a cop (in full confidence mode) screwed up bigtime. A shame to be sure but it wasn't the cars fault I'd bet. We all bought our cars in full knowledge of their might...These cops probably rented it for the same reason we all bought ours!! I suspect they were loving it to the end.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As tragic as it is iam very very suprised it doesnot happen more often .Every friend of mine in NJ who is a cop basically ignores every traffic law out there on or off duty.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As tragic as it is iam very very suprised it doesnot happen more often .Every friend of mine in NJ who is a cop basically ignores every traffic law out there on or off duty.

agreed 100%... I drive the turnpike daily and never understood WHY these guys need to drive 100+MPH, and tailgate who ever is in the left lane, with NO LIGHTS OR SIRENS.. Its flat out dangerous, creates panic for the other drivers, and not needed.

Cops are not professional drivers. They spend a few days doing a driving course, thats it.. To be ALLOWED to drive like this on duty, builds their ego up, to the point where they continue that pattern of driving off duty (or) in a non-marked car.. This needs to change.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed 100%... I drive the turnpike daily and never understood WHY these guys need to drive 100+MPH, and tailgate who ever is in the left lane, with NO LIGHTS OR SIRENS.. Its flat out dangerous, creates panic for the other drivers, and not needed.

Cops are not professional drivers. They spend a few days doing a driving course, thats it.. To be ALLOWED to drive like this on duty, builds their ego up, to the point where they continue that pattern of driving off duty (or) in a non-marked car.. This needs to change.

I've been advocating black boxes on all government vehicles for a while now.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree the car is so much fun but with that much power in a blink of an eye the rear end can come around. My 08 seems more stable than my 06 but you have to be careful how you drive a Viper. Or you get snake bit as they say.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been advocating black boxes on all government vehicles for a while now.

Many government and private sectors already have GPS tracking and black-box data logs on their fleet vehicles. Eventually down the road, I see that technology being implemented and mandatory on all new vehicles - especially once computer-navigated vehicles become available. By that point, any time you speed, a ticket will immediately be text-paged to your iphone and/or some type of "speeder-amber-alert" message will be transmitted to other drivers within your intended route and as well as to the local authorities lol. :drive: :nono:

Something else to keep in mind. There have been some law-enforcement agencies, without a warrant, placing GPS systems on vehicles whose owners are suspected of committing crimes. A suspect in a local **** case was recently arrested with the aid of GPS. They used it to locate the suspect's vehicle at a restaurant where they confiscated the individual's eating utensils to obtain DNA. Although police claim to use it for major cases, there would be nothing to prevent them from also using it for the monitoring of "speed and direction".

In a local article:
Police quiet on GPS use
GPS devices, which can be purchased for as little as $200 for some models, pinpoint an exact location by calculating the signals received from a network of satellites. Speed and direction can also be measured. But police are reluctant to talk about their use of the device, saying they don't want to give criminals any details about how they investigate cases. As long as the device is attached in a public place, advocates say, there's no privacy violation.
:omg::omg::omg:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Taxi off duty its just as bad.Ill go out with a friend whos a Trooper and say he gets stopped doing double the posted limit (being very conservative here )by a local cop the conversation goes like this .Local -Lic ,reg,insurance .Do you realize how fast you were going.It took me miles to catch you.Trooper-(holding badge out the window )How you doing officer Trooper so ans so New Jersey State Police can i help you with something Local -Have a good night.Away he goes.If that was you or i they would impound the car and write 10 plus points worth of tickets.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many government and private sectors already have GPS tracking and black-box data logs on their fleet vehicles. Eventually down the road, I see that technology being implemented and mandatory on all new vehicles - especially once computer-navigated vehicles become available. By that point, any time you speed, a ticket will immediately be text-paged to your iphone and/or some type of "speeder-amber-alert" message will be transmitted to other drivers within your intended route and as well as to the local authorities lol. :drive: :nono:

Something else to keep in mind. There have been some law-enforcement agencies, without a warrant, placing GPS systems on vehicles whose owners are suspected of committing crimes. A suspect in a local **** case was recently arrested with the aid of GPS. They used it to locate the suspect's vehicle at a restaurant where they confiscated the individual's eating utensils to obtain DNA. Although police claim to use it for major cases, there would be nothing to prevent them from also using it for the monitoring of "speed and direction".

In a local article:
Police quiet on GPS use
GPS devices, which can be purchased for as little as $200 for some models, pinpoint an exact location by calculating the signals received from a network of satellites. Speed and direction can also be measured. But police are reluctant to talk about their use of the device, saying they don't want to give criminals any details about how they investigate cases. As long as the device is attached in a public place, advocates say, there's no privacy violation.
:omg::omg::omg:
Cobra i understand what your saying but in NJ were a long way from that for alot of reasons .Off duty up here on a cop will never write another a ticket unless his job is on the line .If a cop ever wrote a State Trooper a ticket (write one a ticket you write them all a ticket )every time he left his driveway a different trooper would stop him.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a cousin who married a local cop. When I got the Viper, he said that anytime I wanted to "let it run" he would go with me as the "ultimate get out of jail free card." This is the same guy who used department issued GPS tracker on my cousin's car to see where she was going and how long she was there (we found a copy of the report - it tells everything: max speed, distance traveled, avg. speed, time at location, etc.). When we found it, we put it on his car for a few days...drove him nuts. Then he paniced when he couldn't find it and was about to lose his job.

SOME, not ALL, police can abuse their power. The ones that do scare me to death.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a cousin who married a local cop. When I got the Viper, he said that anytime I wanted to "let it run" he would go with me as the "ultimate get out of jail free card." This is the same guy who used department issued GPS tracker on my cousin's car to see where she was going and how long she was there (we found a copy of the report - it tells everything: max speed, distance traveled, avg. speed, time at location, etc.). When we found it, we put it on his car for a few days...drove him nuts. Then he paniced when he couldn't find it and was about to lose his job.

SOME, not ALL, police can abuse their power. The ones that do scare me to death.
Nothing suprises me in regards to the above.My cop buddys are chomping at the bit to take my 08 on RT-18 in NJ.Certain parts of this highway near Colts Neck NJ are ideal for high speed runs (very flat nice pavement).The highway is also loaded with DEER.No way just too nervous to let them anywhere near my 08.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in here. I know of the accident. I trained exotic car rental of N.J. back in 2005. Larry the owner is a stickler for correct paperwork and doing things by the book. As an owner/operator of an exotic car rental company myself, it's our job to orientate drivers in the dangers of the Viper or any other vehicle for that matter. Many Viper owners are able to take their vehicles to their "limits" because they have a lot of seat time. In the rental business, a vehicle such as a Viper doesn't get abused as much as you would think it does because renters just do not have the seat time to "test" the vehicle to its limits. My rental Viper, with 10k miles on it still has 5/32 left on the orignal rear tires....

I dont want to disclose too much about the accident as there are legal issues... but I can tell you:

1) All paperwork was completed for the rental. The renter even has to sign a copy of a picture of a Viper wreck to show how important it is to drive the vehicle safely.
2) The person who was driving did not rent the car.
3) Tire treads are checked on all rentals prior to the vehicle leaving. They were fine.

We as exotic car rental owners do everything to try to stop what happened here... We tell them not to give the keys to anyone else... not to try to take the vehicle to it's limits and be careful.... then you get guys who just dont care... and this is what happens.... sad.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll chime in here. I know of the accident. I trained exotic car rental of N.J. back in 2005. Larry the owner is a stickler for correct paperwork and doing things by the book. As an owner/operator of an exotic car rental company myself, it's our job to orientate drivers in the dangers of the Viper or any other vehicle for that matter. Many Viper owners are able to take their vehicles to their "limits" because they have a lot of seat time. In the rental business, a vehicle such as a Viper doesn't get abused as much as you would think it does because renters just do not have the seat time to "test" the vehicle to its limits. My rental Viper, with 10k miles on it still has 5/32 left on the orignal rear tires....

I dont want to disclose too much about the accident as there are legal issues... but I can tell you:

1) All paperwork was completed for the rental. The renter even has to sign a copy of a picture of a Viper wreck to show how important it is to drive the vehicle safely.
2) The person who was driving did not rent the car.
3) Tire treads are checked on all rentals prior to the vehicle leaving. They were fine.

We as exotic car rental owners do everything to try to stop what happened here... We tell them not to give the keys to anyone else... not to try to take the vehicle to it's limits and be careful.... then you get guys who just dont care... and this is what happens.... sad.

It all comes down to "do you respect the power you have, and others property".. Some do, some don't. After owning many big HP cars. In 2002 I was vacationing is Las Vegas with my now wife... Next to the startdust, there she was a 97 B&W GTS.... I just had to rent the car...

My wife and I had such a blast in this car, that I began my search for a GTS IMMEDIATELY when I got home, and owned one a short time later..

I can honestly tell you... When I was driving this "rented" Viper. There was absolutely ZERO abuse to the car. No burnouts,no donouts, I dont even think I cracked 90MPH in it... Why? I had ZERO seat time in a Viper and didn't want to end up trashing someone elses property, and/or hurting someone else. Did I have experience in big power cars? Yes... I think that made me MORE cautious than ever, because I have seen (in person) what can happen. And was very familiar with these cars, and the fact there was no "nanny" aids to help me through a situation... But most of all, I respect peoples property.. I rented the car for 2 days, and I can even remember checking the oil and tire pressure while getting gas, and cleaning off the wheels.. Its just a respect thing... My dad handed me the keys to his big block 67' Corvette to take to my senior prom.. Do you think I beat on the car? Heck no.... I babied it all night, and will never forget the trust he had in me, to allow this. The whole situation with this accident is terrible.. This guy made a mistake, that will haunt him for life (possibly in prison), and cost someone else theirs.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 500 hp rented car with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel who basically can go as fast as he wants without fear of getting a ticket ect

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tragic, yes.... put a high performance car with no nannytech in the hands of someone who has never driven one and has no fear of getting a speeding ticket... that's what happens.

I hate to say it, but Vipers really shouldn't be rented... or at least have speed limiters strapped on.
WELL SAID. Another cop above the law and more than likely with no exp. in a high performance vehicle.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose those making accusations against law enforcement have never broken the speed-limit or violated any other traffic law... :nono: From what I've read and watched in the threads here, there have been plenty of more severe and careless choices made (and glamorized) by those driving Vipers. Yet some being critical, would likely praise a street race showing a Viper outpacing a Hayabusa. All the videos showing speeds of 100+mph (and even 200+mph), most of those situations could have turned out even more tragic than what happened here. Maybe it was cops in rented Vipers posting perhaps...or is there some other heinous profession out there to blame and label for the actions of these drivers?? :omg: If we make blanket statements which tend to associate law enforcement officers to abusing their power, it's no different than law enforcement officers associating Viper owners to street-racing. This accident could have very likely happened if they had been in a marked police car - or it could have happened if they had rented the Viper and not been employed as police officers. Sometimes an accident is just an accident. But if we're going to scrutinize, we should at least be consistent in criticizing everyone regardless of their occupation. :)

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose those making accusations against law enforcement have never broken the speed-limit or violated any other traffic law... :nono:

Oh... we have. More times than we would care to admit. That's why I never complain when I get a ticket. But. None of us do it knowing if we were caught it would be nothing more than just flash the ID, and get a nod and wink. What percentage of recklessness do you think immunity from prosecution brings on?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accidents will happen but are far more likely to happen if those driving have no fear of being proscuted for their actions.(thats why we have traffic laws to begin with.)Please show me one cop who is ever stopped off duty one time(for anything ) who does not pull out his badge and use it to get out of a ticket.Hell in NJ my police buddys all give use PBA and Chief cards which are courtesy to those who support law enforcement so they dont get a tickets.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accidents will happen but are far more likely to happen if those driving have no fear of being proscuted for their actions.(thats why we have traffic laws to begin with.)Please show me one cop who is ever stopped off duty one time(for anything ) who does not pull out his badge and use it to get out of a ticket.Hell in NJ my police buddys all give use PBA and Chief cards which are courtesy to those who support law enforcement so they dont get a tickets.

I understand what you're saying. But most cops that I know are very conscientious of their behavior and actions both on and off-duty. After all, even though they may not get a citation for a violation from another officer, I can assure you that word usually gets back to their superior as to what happened. This is especially true when an officer is driving a marked unit and the public can report the officer's vehicle number. You'd be surprised at how many people call 9-1-1 to report a speeding vehicle - including police units running emergency traffic. A civilian reporting another civilian for speeding usually doesn't have to worry about this if the moving violation (a misdemeanor) didn't occur "in the presence of an officer", because those typically can't be successfully prosecuted...but if the report is on the personal vehicle of a law enforcement officer, and that officer's department took the 9-1-1 call, the dispatcher will inform the officer's supervisor. So just because there isn't an immediate citation issued in view of us on the street, some type of reprimand would happen at some level behind closed doors. Most of us only have to worry about a ticket and paying a fine from a violation...but an officer also has to take their job into consideration. Citations issued or not, too many complaints and they won't be a traffic/patrol officer for very long.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. But most cops that I know are very conscientious of their behavior and actions both on and off-duty. After all, even though they may not get a citation for a violation from another officer, I can assure you that word usually gets back to their superior as to what happened. This is especially true when an officer is driving a marked unit and the public can report the officer's vehicle number. You'd be surprised at how many people call 9-1-1 to report a speeding vehicle - including police units running emergency traffic. A civilian reporting another civilian for speeding usually doesn't have to worry about this if the moving violation (a misdemeanor) didn't occur "in the presence of an officer", because those typically can't be successfully prosecuted...but if the report is on the personal vehicle of a law enforcement officer, and that officer's department took the 9-1-1 call, the dispatcher will inform the officer's supervisor. So just because there isn't an immediate citation issued in view of us on the street, some type of reprimand would happen at some level behind closed doors. Most of us only have to worry about a ticket and paying a fine from a violation...but an officer also has to take their job into consideration. Citations issued or not, too many complaints and they won't be a traffic/patrol officer for very long.
Your milage may vary depending on what city/jurisdiction you're in. Smaller towns are easier to hold officers accountable, while most major cities are way too big for anything to get back to their bosses.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one who judges others (ie stops them and gives them a ticket) should be willing to accept twice the judgement and should show behavior above and beyond but it is often the opposite. What is that quote "judge not less you be judged".

Double standards tend not to go over too well is most places - that said no one wants anyone to get hurt and it is always sad when our favorite car was in anyway connected to someone's end of time in this world.

Be Safe!

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your milage may vary depending on what city/jurisdiction you're in. Smaller towns are easier to hold officers accountable, while most major cities are way too big for anything to get back to their bosses.

I wouldn't consider Nashville (population over 500,000) as small...believe me the accountability happens. We even have an anonymous hotline for officers to call and report other officers for violations.

w8liftn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A 500 hp rented car with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel who basically can go as fast as he wants without fear of getting a ticket ect

I'm gonna stop after this one because there is no chance of me winnning against stupidity......do you really think that a cop thinks that he can get away with speeding in a rented car or any other crime with no repercussions??? You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. I don't know what you do for a living but my guess is that if you got caught doing 100mph in your Viper you would not even get a FRACTION of what would happen to an on OR off-duty officer if he was caught doing it. Not worried about getting a ticket???? I promise you that getting a ticket is the LEAST of a cops problems if he gets caught doing it. Try losing your job, your pension, your reputation, having your name bashed in public forums etc. You don't get it but you sure can post alot of smack. And if you don't think cops won't pop other cops for something like that you are WRONG. I'm talking about cops as a whole because you can't talk about any particular group of people unless you are talking about the majority because there are bad apples in EVERY occupation. You people can't really believe the crap that you post here can you? Have another Martini.

Revtune

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I don't yet own a viper, just reading the advice on this board is enough to realize that this snake bites if you don't treat it with respect. I know more than a few cops, all of which tend to push things, and this is probably just one of those instances where the driver just didn't know what the car could do.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna stop after this one because there is no chance of me winnning against stupidity......do you really think that a cop thinks that he can get away with speeding in a rented car or any other crime with no repercussions??? You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. I don't know what you do for a living but my guess is that if you got caught doing 100mph in your Viper you would not even get a FRACTION of what would happen to an on OR off-duty officer if he was caught doing it. Not worried about getting a ticket???? I promise you that getting a ticket is the LEAST of a cops problems if he gets caught doing it. Try losing your job, your pension, your reputation, having your name bashed in public forums etc. You don't get it but you sure can post alot of smack. And if you don't think cops won't pop other cops for something like that you are WRONG. I'm talking about cops as a whole because you can't talk about any particular group of people unless you are talking about the majority because there are bad apples in EVERY occupation. You people can't really believe the crap that you post here can you? Have another Martini.
Pal half my friend and family in NJ are cops and troopers.Have you ever been to NJ to know what the poliys are.I speak from first hand experience here in NJ not Arizona.