Viper Wreck in NJ

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tragic, yes.... put a high performance car with no nannytech in the hands of someone who has never driven one and has no fear of getting a speeding ticket... that's what happens.

I hate to say it, but Vipers really shouldn't be rented... or at least have speed limiters strapped on.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shame, sorry to the officer's family and friends.

Do you believe they rented the car for a "sting"? because both were on duty at the time.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but Vipers really shouldn't be rented... or at least have speed limiters strapped on.

Agreed. I wonder if the renter installed one of those speed-tracking GPS devices I keep reading about. I wonder how fast they were driving and/or what caused them to lose control and slam into the pole. Too many questions to list here.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tragic, yes.... put a high performance car with no nannytech in the hands of someone who has never driven one and has no fear of getting a speeding ticket... that's what happens.

Warfang, you are so right, I have 2 Vipers and I'm still scared of these cars.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to be interesting, a lot of conflicting information here.
Hope the truth comes out.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad.I have an account off 130 .Pretty straight forward road.I wonder if in fact what happened was due to driver error in a 500 hp car.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have never been in NJ it is the most populated state per square mile in the country -people and cars everywhere.Last year our Gov was injured badly (his motercade was going 30 mph over the posted limit foe no reason other than being late for an appointment )in an accident .

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have never been in NJ it is the most populated state per square mile in the country -people and cars everywhere.Last year our Gov was injured badly (his motercade was going 30 mph over the posted limit foe no reason other than being late for an appointment )in an accident .

I've always been an advocate of all government vehicle with black boxes which logs speeding violations and fine the driver double the civilian penalty... police included unless they can site a legitimate police call. People in power should be scrutinized way more than the average citizen.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, just like tossing the keys to a F-16 to a private pilot checked out in a Cessna 172. I agree that Vipers should not be rented, as it is not the safest thing to do, but then again Darwin's law comes into affect.

Daily driver: Airbus 320 @ 520 mph

Tim

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant beat city hall.-Good bad or indifferent Professional Courtesy definately exists in NJ (I know because alot of my friends are cops and State Troopers .) .Unless they absolutely have to (in an instance where they risk losing their job )no cop will pen another one out for reasons too numerious to list.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me cite one example a rookie town cop stops an off duty NJ State Trooper for speeding.Every time that town cop drove down the street a different trooper would stop and write him.(troopers have jurisdiction everywhere in the state )Give one trooper a ticket you give them all a ticket.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me cite one example a rookie town cop stops an off duty NJ State Trooper for speeding.Every time that town cop drove down the street a different trooper would stop and write him.(troopers have jurisdiction everywhere in the state )Give one trooper a ticket you give them all a ticket.

Yep... been there, seen that. That should be a felony and a jailable offense. I've seen cops let fellows cops go on drunk driving stops. Full surveillance in-car cams would put an end to all that. Cities are just too afraid of the unions.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep... been there, seen that. That should be a felony and a jailable offense. I've seen cops let fellows cops go on drunk driving stops. Full surveillance in-car cams would put an end to all that. Cities are just too afraid of the unions.
When your young sometimes you dont think what could happen.Over twenty years ago my buddy became a Trooper at 19.He, myself and a bunch of other fools would basically go bar hopping (ironic thing was at the time he was not old enough to drink but they looked the other way )This guy would always drive for the above mentioned reasons.Looking back on it now i can not believe just how dangerous and stupid are actions were.We were extremely luck not to kill ourselves or someone else.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys i could tell you storys you would not believe.Stopping women for no other reason than to check them out driving on the Garden State Parkway on their way to the beach ect.Stopping people off duty for careless driving (sending them a ticket in the mail )when your doing the same ect.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad. The 08 ACR is the first production car I believe that warns drivers that they could be killed if the car is driven irresponsibly and strongly recommends professional training prior to operating. I think that is true for stock Gen 3's, Z06's and any sports car w/ 500+ hp.

These cars are super fun...but they can also be dangerous if not handled with the utmost respect.

Looks like the officer left behind a young family, very sad.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will give the States Attorney General credit though.Last week she got stopped and did not show he badge to get out of it.She took the speeding ticket.(cop didnot know who she was )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad. The 08 ACR is the first production car I believe that warns drivers that they could be killed if the car is driven irresponsibly and strongly recommends professional training prior to operating. I think that is true for stock Gen 3's, Z06's and any sports car w/ 500+ hp.

These cars are super fun...but they can also be dangerous if not handled with the utmost respect.

Looks like the officer left behind a young family, very sad.
Mamba you definately 100% correct very, very sad. These cars are so fast today if somethiong happens you going at such a high rate of speed ect.Alot of 08s were being wrecked last winter =inexperienced drivers,cold slick roads that read somewhere the car had 600 hp and naturally had to try to take the thing thru the gears with no seat time.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CT you have to go thru seperate training, etc to get a motor cycles drivers license. I have been driving sports cars all my life, and I have had some scary moments in my Viper, even w/ 20 yrs of high performance car driving experience. It just seems insane to me to sell a 500 or 600 hp car w/ a tree-stomp pulling torque numbers, to some guy who has only driven Hyundais or trucks all his life. These guys have absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into.

Vipers are expensive, so we sometimes get the elderly wealthy guy (no disrespect to the elderly) who has never driven a sports car, or maybe had a C4 or C5 Vette. He hops into a 600 hp Viper and nails the gas on an on ramp or in a curve. Chances are he is going to lose it. Then you get the young kids who jump out of a Mustang, and into a 500 or 600 hp Viper. The stock ones are not that noisy and can fool you as to how fast you are really accelerating....and before you know it...we get a crash story.

I will say this, we seem to have much fewer crash stories this year than last year. But even one is too many. I'd hate to see some kinda special license requirement for these cars...but if the power keeps increasing, reducing reaction time...we just might see that someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187