VIR Viperdays results?

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bump -

If this was about blowers or Zaino there would be 50 responses by now. Does anyone still race (not that straight stuff :D ) their Viper anymore?

How did those guys do back east - anyone?

Thanks!

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Results...?

It was freakin' awesome, well Sunday was, for me. On Saturdy I cracked my RF brake rotor in the second session slowing from 145 on the bakc straight, they'd only had one event day on them.

Then when installing a new rotor my ******* hit my braided line and snapped the end fitting. I had to leave the car at VIR, go to my parents house in Greensbor NC (50min south), steal a stock brake line off my parents' C5, and come back Sunday morning to get it all back together.

I have to say that those comp coupes make we want to cream my pants (for lack of a better term) they're just amazing. In my final session yesterday the "Cheese Company" comp coupe was out running and I let them go buy in turn 6, I could see him comming up in my mirrors so I told my passenger to hold on... he wasn't ready for the blast of that thing rolling on by.

Oh yeah since I'm a Troll, Vipers do **** and they're quite slow ;)

Got some great video and pics to save.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some video captured and hosted.

The event was great - lots of people and great cars.

Stan Wilson won both races in his World Challenge Comp Coupe - watch Stan next year in SPeed GT - he's the real deal. He qualified with a 1:58.5 or so - still off the blistering 1:56.8 of the late great Paul Mumford, but VERY good.

The NC race guys had a great weekend - even though we were plagued with small issues....

The number 93 GT1 driven by Henry Cone bent a front splitter on Friday resulting in his crew chief (me) driving 3 hours back home to get another and him missing most of the Friday Test and Tune day. However, earlier that day he ran a 2:01.8 and I am sure we could have bettered with more practice time. the Number 93 had recent alignment work and lost some more weight since Gingerman. Henry finished 2nd to Sonny Whelen in GT1 on Sunday and won the Sunday GT1 race starting from 4 last and working his way through the field catching Seth Palatnik on lap 17. Crew Chief's heart survived yet another weekend without having an attack. ;)

The number 01 - General Lee - driven by Don McDaniel spun in Saturday's race brushing the tire wall. Don brought the car down pit lane and was pronounced pretty much unscathed and sent back out quickly. (More like me screaming on the radio - "Don, there's not a cracked anything on this car - not get back out there and finish the %^$^*& race!) Not sure whether he was hyped up or scared after that, but he went out and made up time. Made it up quickly enough to capture 2nd place in Comp Coupe class. Satruday repairs were accomplished with a few rivets and 3 pieces of orange race tape and the General was good to go. Sunday, Don was a little slower working his way through the field (as he started from slot 12) but patiently and safely worked his way through the field to finish 2nd again to Jim Stout, who had a GREAT weekend.

The Number 59 Kenny Hawkins Automotive World Challenge Comp Coupe was chasing Stan Wilson for all of Saturday's race, but couldn't catch him. He finished 2nd on Saturday. Sunday, starting from 3rd to last, Kenny quickly worked his way through the field, but dropped 2 tires off passing Sonny Whelen and kissed a barrier causing slight damage to the aero on Old Yeller. Sunday was a DNF for the #59.

The lone T1 entry of Chris Hawkins was pestered by brake problems Saturday casuing a DNF. Hot brakes virtually lock the front wheels slowing him down in a bad way. Colled off they are fine.... parts ordered didn't arrive as expected and ended Chris's weekend - too bad -he was running near record setting T1 times of 2:10's in practice / qualifying. Expert guidance from Eddie Martin (welcome back) should help solve this issue once and for all.

Rookie John Freeman made his VRL debut and despite being in the right place at the wrong time (and taking evasive manuevers to avoid spun cars) finished both races and learned a whole bunch both in the pits and on the track with some very fast Viper pilots. We look forward to seeing more of John at the VRL.

The weather was spectacular and the comraderie was even better. The Challenge Series had some hotly contested battles and I am sure we'll get the very happy V-TEN Race Team report.

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attended the event and was very happy as I was able to run a 2:12.4 in a stock 2001 z06 with victoracers. Thanks to everyone there and especially to the guys who rode with me and helped me improve.

The event was extremely well run as before, and one of the best I have attended.

I am editing some video now, and will try to put some up on my website tonight.

Tim

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a 2:17.5 with some beat up hoosiers. I was happy with that. 01 Z06 with headers putting out about 375rwhp.

Great to see Doc and George again!

Great event as usual, like Tim said best by far that I have ever been to. A big thanks to Courtney and Skip!!!

Anybody know whos viper this is? Great looking car. :D

You must be registered for see images

Somebody said it was some dude in a cowboy hat and burrito shirt. :confused:

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D Yeah, I was there too, with the PeachState Posse. Courtney & Skip run a GREAT EVENT. Us Atlanta Z06'ers got to attend last year, too.

Oh' I ran a funky 2:16 & change on scrubbed Hoosiers, last year's S03's.

My lowly Z06 is.... "BONE STOCK"!

:cool: Ahh.... looks like that Viper just might be... "TRYING RYAN"! He's been known to post over on our boards on occasion!

I think he's getting lessons on the "CORRECT LINE" from our buddy, LoneStar, who's been on a road course several (more than twice) times! ;)

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperdays VIR was a real blast for this rookie! VIR is an incredibly beautiful course and a real technical challenge (at least for me). Here's a shot of the high-speed esses taken by my son:

I learned a great deal and the biggest lesson is how far I have to go before I can really run a road course quickly. Viperdays is an incredible bargain in terms of track time and instruction received and highly recommended!

Here's a shot of Stan Wilson coming out of the Nascar Bend near the end of Sunday's race.(Turn 3).
Great course, great event! I'll be back.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still grinning. I rented a COMP COUPE Saturday and learned a great deal. Special thanks to Skip, Courtney, Bob and Brian (84's pit crew), and especially to Phil Goglia, my CC instructor. Phil helped me a great deal. I managed a 2:17 with that machine.

VIR is a fantastic track.

My wife made her driving school debut in the ACR, and loved the event. She'll be attending more.

I ran a best of 2:23 with my bone stock '04 SRT-10 and a best of 2:27 with my ACR, which John Freeman has previously run in the low teens on street tires when he owned it. Either he's a more experienced driver, or he sold me a worn-out ******. Yeah, that's it ;-)

The SRT-10 was impressive. A bit wiggly in the rear (compared to my ACR and the school's CC) when pressed in the turns, but so easy to regain stability. Incredible top-end acceleration, and incredible brakes...if only Dodge would include a stronger differential, a better oil pan, etc. Perhaps in the '05 600 HP "Street Coupe?"

It was interesting to me that I could get the SRT-10 to 155 MPH on the back straight, while I managed only 140 with the CC. Either I "babied" the CC because it wasn't mine, or the extra drag from the aero pieces on the CC limited the speed I made. Not sure. It could have been the temp/humidity as well, as I ran the different cars on different days.

The CC was the best driving classroom imaginable. Also, I couldn't have had a better instructor than Phil.

I highly recommend the CC rental for anyone who wants to experience such an awesome machine on a road course. I will do it again. I'm accepting donations!

A great event.

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, are you sure a couple of spark plugs weren't pulled in that comp coupe?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey that was an "experience" to say the least. Next time I run an SCCA race I plan to bring a gameboy and play it in the car, or maybe bring some cigarettes and take up smoking or something since I will need to make those races a little more challenging after running an inverted grid with world challenge cars behind me. Jesus. I have NEVER been passed in the uphill esses before. I about had a heart attack seeing Whelen's car on the inside at 120mph+! I really really really really really dont like lifting there. Its also fun getting passed by Stan, Henry and Kenny in turn 3 (Nascar) ON THE SAME LAP. I decided to "let" Stan by and the rest of the fast guys decided to truck on through as well. Inverted grids are not for the faint of heart when you are a rookie VRL driver. (fastest cars start in back)

Overall I was very pleased with the outcome of the weekend. I learned a hell of a lot, and it was my own undoing really that kept me out of finishing mid-pack. Best lap time of 206.4 was disappointing. Spinning on the last turn on the last lap cost me 3 positions and finished (If I remember correctly) 13th out of 16 in the field. 2 spins on saturday, and one one Sunday. The spins I have to take responsibility for. I introduced too many new variables to the vehicle friday and the changes to the car made me less than comfortable on the track, resulting in some mistakes that I typically dont make. Next time I wont realign, corner weight AND change front and rear swaybar sizes and stiffness, and introduce a new type of tire. The tires were different in compound type and front width. Too many new inputs to learn, and try and drive a race. Rookie mistake.

I was wondering if anybody got a picture or video of the evasive manuver (Me avoiding the spun comp coupe #39 in front of the stands in turn 3)...that was awesome. I have some in-car that I need to convert to digital and get it hosted.

Awesome event. Great fun! Have tons of pics that I will host or send to someone to host sometime soon.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I missed getting a still of that maneuver by about 5 seconds. All of us at the snack bar were holding our breath as you passed by. A VERY scary moment. Nice job!

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my first track event ever, and had a better time (not course time) than I thought I would. I've never had my viper let alone another vehicle on the track before. The quality of drivers was very good and I was put in my place. I hope to be back next yr.

Also, figured out my next 'upgrade'...Stoptechs. My brakes were fading a bit during my last laps on session #7.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry - mine plays with Windows Media player. I'll see if I can save it using another format. I think the video camera says it is MPEG4....

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a great time at Viper Days, again! I was nice to meet some new faces plus see those familar faces from last year. I ended up running a best time of 2:19 in my 2002 Z06 on street tires.

The V-TEN team had some fast times in the SS class.

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George,

I have a 290mb mpeg video on cd with your name on it. I chased you in that comp coupe for about 8 minutes until you let me pass. Let me know if you still want the video and give me an address to send to.
Here are some clips from it.

Teddy

Around the oak tree

Me passing. :)

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Lonestar. V-TEN had a good weekend at VIR taking 1st in Super Stock with a 2.18..., 1st in Perpared with 2.16.... and 1st in Modified with 2.14.... We try to get better at turn in and not using the binder so much. VIR was my first Viper Days last year and I improved 8 seconds on last years best with no changes to the motor or binders. I will have a full recap of V-TEN Racing's adventures this weekend. Stay tuned. The race for the eastern region points lead is heating up.

PS: Ryan was a very good sport and is clearly a class act and welcome in our pits anytime. Thanks to all of the Corvette guys for making me better!!!!!!!!!!

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations to V-TEN on the stellar performance. I wish I was there, but seem to be short on Vipers these days. Looking forward to hearing all about it at the next August meeting guys! :2tu:

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Lonestar. V-TEN had a good weekend at VIR taking 1st in Super Stock with a 2.18..., 1st in Perpared with 2.16.... and 1st in Modified with 2.14.... We try to get better at turn in and not using the binder so much. VIR was my first Viper Days last year and I improved 8 seconds on last years best with no changes to the motor or binders. I will have a full recap of V-TEN Racing's adventures this weekend. Stay tuned. The race for the eastern region points lead is heating up.

PS: Ryan was a very good sport and is clearly a class act and welcome in our pits anytime. Thanks to all of the Corvette guys for making me better!!!!!!!!!!

Tom, great to run with your team!!!! :2tu:

Where is our beloved burito man? :D

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YA you guys got the blue and white this time but next time i will be ready for ya... had a blast and drove my car home to go sell some HOMEWRECKERS!!! C ya

ryan

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YA you guys got the blue and white this time but next time i will be ready for ya... had a blast and drove my car home to go sell some HOMEWRECKERS!!! C ya

ryan

Record sales of homewreckers equals record times on the track. :headbang:

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow Super Stock times are getting very slow.

Looks like the Cali boys are going to put the hurt on the East coast boys again :)

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston
Churchill. Nice smack talk from the West! Maybe we'll get you boys all hotted up on longneck cowboy juice in OK and then you'll be kind enough to show us slowpokes how it's done. LOL
Cheers,
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang