VIR

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to take my car to VIR. Does anyone know the specifics on when you can run up there. I looked at their website, but they didn't really have any test and tune days. So when can I get it up there for a run?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't run a Vert without an acceptable roll bar. Roll bar needs to be approved prior to running by their tech person, forget his name. Coupes are no problem.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get with Randy Cade, a Raleigh VCA member who is a VIR member and instructor out there.

Basically, I believe your options are either (1) go on a member day as a guest of a member (or become a member yourself) - but you may be limited in the nature of your "run", or (2) sign up for an event like ViperDays, SCCA, etc. for a day or a weekend and get instruction and runs up there. I've only been for ViperDays, which are good events, but not again there until next year.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some run groups scheduled at VIR, hope this helps:) I have run with a few of the PCA groups and with Audi club and CHIN (lottsa track time!), don't know about with the others.....Geez I miss VIR!!!!

Sep 19-21 First Settler's PCA
Oct 9-11 NASA MidAtlantic
Oct 17-18 SVT Cobra Mustang Club
Oct 20-21 David Murry Track days
Nov 1-2 CHIN Motorsports
Nov 14-15 Audi Club (Potomac Chesapeake)
Nov 16-17 Track Daze
Nov 30 Asphalt Ventures
Dec 5-6 CHIN Motorsports

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be there on the Oct 8-11 racing in the 44 Cup Nationals I believe NASA Mid Atlantic will be running HPDE when we are not on track

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIR offers many opportunities to get on track. The previous post mentioned several of the dates, but there are more. The track is open from late February until December. Most clubs and HPDEs will accept other cars after they offer their club members first choice. I really like Chin and the Synergy "Fall Fling" because of the amount of track time you get. The other thing you should check is the number of cars that the event sponsor will allow on track. Normally, the cheaper ones make their money by PACKING cars on the track in each run group. NASA tends to do this. I would not recommend this for your first track day. Later, having lots of cars on the track to pass is fun, but not when you are the beginner that is getting run over.

In addition, I am a club member at VIR. We have 17 private "club days" every year. I am at the majority of them. Members are allowed to invite guests to club days, but they are only allowed to drive in the "Touring Lights" run group. This group is paced (about 80 MPH tops) and no passing is allowed. This may sound slow, but if you have never driven your car on the track you will be pushed to keep up with the pace car in the corners! Touring lights is ideal if you have never driven on the track and would like to try it with minimal risk. The other nice thing about Touring Lights is that you really don't have to do much track prep to your car to run it at those speeds. I am a certified instructor for many High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) groups and am willing to ride with you and show you the basics. I bring an enclosed trailer to the events so you will have a place to rest your bones.

If anyone is interested in more info just give me a call at 919 434 8325. I also have info on how to join the club. There is a modest initiation fee, but the months dues is pretty reasonable.

Randy Cade

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth