Virginia-Maryland Convoy -- Update

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will meet near Staunton, VA, the evening of Monday, September 6 (Labor Day) and begin the 2-day trip to Dallas for VOI-8. We will be joined by VCA members from Canada and the New England states. Our route will be via Interstates 81, 40, and 30. Please note that we will be arriving in Grapevine, TX, at the Gaylord Texan (VOI-8 Hotel HQ) on Wednesday evening, so you will need to make reservations for 5 nights there (arrive September 8, depart September 13). If you would like to make the return trip with us, we will plan to leave the Gaylord Texan at 8:00 Monday morning, September 13. We will basically retrace our route, although we will stay Monday night in Lebanon, TN, just east of Nashville (about 700 miles from Grapevine). That will leave about a 600-mile drive back to Washington, DC on Tuesday.

Travel Speeds, Pit Stops, etc.

As we get closer to departure, I will plot out suggested exits off the Interstate for gas and driving breaks. Driving speeds vary tremendously – I do not anticipate that the entire group will stay together en route. We’ll probably see each other at the lunch stops and maybe gas breaks. If you are concerned about not driving too fast or needing to make more frequent pit stops, etc., rest assured that there will be others who share the same concerns with whom you will be able to travel – even if you’re towing. Conversely, if you are looking for companions for a triple-digit sprint, you will probably find some, too. (Those Canadians are wild and crazy guys!)

It is 1200 miles exactly from Fishersville, VA, (near Staunton) to Grapevine, TX. The first day we will cover 644 miles, with 556 left on Tuesday. We will try to leave at 8:00 am each morning.

If you're planning on joining us, please drop me a PM or email.

You must make your own reservations at the following hotels. The room block is good only until August 9.

Monday, September 6

Hampton Inn, Waynesboro/Stuarts Draft
15 Four Square Lane
Fishersville, VA 22939
(540) 213-9500
Rate: $79/night+tax (2 double beds or 1 king size)
You can book your reservation at the phone number above or 1-800-HAMPTON. (You can’t book this reservation on-line, however.) Be sure to mention Viper Club to get the special rate.
The hotel has a pizza and wings hospitality room Monday night. I’ve arranged for a guard overnight in the parking lot. This is the same hotel we stayed in 2002 on the way to VOI-7 in Nashville

Directions
Take exit 221 off I-81, proceed EAST on I-64 to exit 91. Turn LEFT at end of exit ramp, cross over I-64, hotel is on left.

Tuesday, September 7

Country Inns and Suites by Carlson
1935 Emporium Drive
Jackson, TN
(731) 660-0077
Rate: $62/night+tax (2 double beds or 1 king size) Group: Viper Club

I’ve arranged for a hospitality room Tuesday evening and a guard in the parking lot.

Directions
Take Exit 80-B off I-40. Turn RIGHT onto Vann Drive. Turn RIGHT at the next traffic light onto Emporium Drive. Walmart is on the left. Continue for 1/4 mile. The hotel will be on your left.

OP
OP
R

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have exact numbers. At this time, I'm aware of 8 cars from Va-Md. We should be joined in Staunton Monday night by 6-10 cars from Canada, NY and New England. Several KY and TN cars are planning to join us Wednesday morning when we leave Jackson, TN, and some more will join up as we pass Memphis.

Dave Dugal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VA/MD-NE-NY/CT-Quebec Convoy -- Update

The New England Region members will be meeting at 7am on Monday, September 6th (Labor Day) at the rest area just south of Exit 33 on Route 495 South. From there, it's a small 335-mile ride to the Hampton Inn on I-81 in Hazleton, PA, for a 1pm lunch break. Here, we should link up with the NY/CT and Quebec regions. After a good meal, it's another short 291 miles to our first night's stay at yet another Hampton Inn, this time in Fishersville, VA, where we'll meet up with a couple more VCA regions.

Anyone from New England planning on meeting me on Route 495 at 7am should RSVP as soon as possible. During the last couple of VOI caravans, we used FRS (ie. Motorola Talkabout) radios, but in these days of cheap cellular service, we may simply opt for exchanging cell phone numbers.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave, the FRS may still be a good idea since it will provide a community net for all to hear and chat. The cells will be good for one on one.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Trying to lead these convoys is a lot like herding ants...fun, but a lot of work to stay on schedule 9 and not "misplace" one or two Vipers....and making a reasonable attempt to stay on schedule helps ALL those trying to connect at merge points "downstream". In the past, our group used CB's (primarily in the transporters), FRS radios, and cell phones.

By the way, as I cannot personally attend this year, I will be happy to try to assist anyone that has Viper trouble passing thru the Indy area. We have some Viper Friendly dealerships around our I-465 beltway that go out of their way to assist members. Hopefully, it will be a smooth trip for all...but, just in case...feel free to call me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte