VORTEX Cones Placement ?? !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO those of you that have them, where did you place them in your exhaust?

If you go by the recomendations it should be installed basically right inside the collector, even in the stock header, you could in theory get it in there, but it just doesnt seem like a perfect fit, and then it looks like it would be very hard to weld them.

So I was thinking I would do it right where my after market exhaust connects to the stock header. But then it makes it challenging to put it in the right way and WELD it in there. If you put it in BACKWARDS, its CAKE. If you do it the 'correct' way, its hard to get it welded in there.

Final question, these are ALL stainless steal parts, does everyone use stainless steal welding when putting it together, or go with the more common 'rustable' welding?

THANKS!

Jon

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO those of you that have them, where did you place them in your exhaust?

If you go by the recomendations it should be installed basically right inside the collector, even in the stock header, you could in theory get it in there, but it just doesnt seem like a perfect fit, and then it looks like it would be very hard to weld them.

So I was thinking I would do it right where my after market exhaust connects to the stock header. But then it makes it challenging to put it in the right way and WELD it in there. If you put it in BACKWARDS, its CAKE. If you do it the 'correct' way, its hard to get it welded in there.

Final question, these are ALL stainless steal parts, does everyone use stainless steal welding when putting it together, or go with the more common 'rustable' welding?

THANKS!

Jon

Steel... not steal *****. :rolleyes:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 03 I put the cone pointing upstream behind the cats, and in front of the side sill mufflers. Just a tack weld to hold them in.

It took out some dB's and all the drone from my Corsa track system. Perfect for me.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tried a bunch of locations, in the collector, behind the collector, after the cat, after the muffler. Found they work best (for sound attenuation) right in front of the mufflers.

You may notice a slightly quieter exhaust or you may not. They weren't very effective in my SRT or GTS.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitted mine in the collector on the GT2 headers I am not convinced that they make any difference to how loud the exhaust note was as it was still way over 100 db.

But must admit it did seem to reduce the drone but not reduce the power as it dyno'd at 467.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi