Waaah! My Viper got hit!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another victim of 2006...

My client's wife backed into my Viper. :(

They've apologized and will pay for all damages. Can you guys look this over and tell me what you think? It doesn't look too bad, and the vinyl stripe probably lessened the damage. The hood has a couple chips as does the front fascia. One of the chips on the hood shows a strand or two or fiber. Hopefully this does not total out the hood.

I don't want to screw them, but I'm not going to settle for a lesser car either. Could I get just the damaged pieces painted, or should I ask for the whole car redone?

Finally... anyone know of a good Viper body repair guy in the San Francisco bay area? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. I hope that you are okay and not punching walls. I think that the hood is gone from the pics. Although it looks minor I think that the damage sustained got too far into the hood but it might be able to be bonded, not sure. Anyone else have input?

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the chips look huge, but it's really blown up. The biggest chip you see there is less than an inch wide. I wouldn't mind it being bondo'd, as long as it doesn't ruin the hood's structural integrity.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is true, you might be able to BONDO it. Good luck either way. Please let me know either way as I am very interested to know if they can bondo it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like a horror movie, with lots of blood and guts...

Hope you get it restored to your complete satisfaction. I'm sure you will!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you want to bondo over fiberglasss. Find a Vette body shop nearby if you can't find a Viper shop. They should be able to give you a better answer.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a dream last night I wrecked my viper and I was [*****] pissed, I am sooo glad I woke up soon after that! Sorry you can't have the same relief.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
Get if fixed properly, so that you won't have any future problems with it!

Good luck!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take it to Chris at The Works Auto Body in Santa Clara and see what they can do. Probably the only place I would trust to do paint/body work on my Viper. They do alot of work for the local Ferrari club members. I think they have a front bonnet from an F50 hanging in one of the shops.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dam what was she driving?? a steamroller??

jesus man im sorry to see/hear about this, hope everything works out well for ya

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh....there lies the problem.......SHE and SUV........cellphone was obviously not involved otherwise it would have been much more damage

ghayes420

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Warfang- Sorry to hear about your snake getting jacked up by a client. You couldn't get that pissed about it front of them huh. They better buy from you now! :)

Call Valaya Racing in San Jose (408)297-1990 and they will take care of you. They do everything Viper. Ask for Ted May. Nobody but Valaya touches my snake.

Take care.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get all new. If she would have hit a Civic I would say bondo it. But she hit the wrong car and if you don't get all new you will kick yourself for it. She has insurance, make them pay.

V

venms96

Sorry to see that Warfang. Fix or no fix, that *****.

You asked about diminished value...a little. Not much. I mean, a purist might walk away. I'm fussy, like most of us are, and I wouldn't focus much on that issue if it's fixed perfectly, looks right, fits right, etc. I would have to say for me, it would matter a little in the value department, but not worth worrying about it. A new hood and paint would make me feel a little better. But I know it's big dolla's.

I know the Jeep is high, and the Viper is low, but jeeeesh, didn't they see the Viper before they got into the Commander ? I mean, shouldn't they have been more careful and observant ?

Good Luck with it. Sorry again.

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very fixable to me, just need a good fiberglass guy who will fix it right with glass, resin, epoxy and knows how to cure it properly before painting, sounds like you have some good references there. Biggest deal is gonna be what you decide to do about paint. The whole hood needs to be painted to make it right and then you have the issue of blending into the doors, can't jsut stop at the door or you will see the difference. As the correct paint job bid will defintely include blending a big part ot the door I think I would just paint the whole car for some additional expense on your part which would really only be the roof and rear quarters and rear. I think if you are happy with the stripes look you might just keep on going and add those. Perfect opportunity to upgrade the car while you are getting paid by them to paint the hood and doors. Jonb would be a great source to ask about any diminished value AND the repair issues. And if you even come close to thinking about a new hood call him. Big differences between leftover new hoods and takeoffs. Turns out takeofs may be better as existing stock of new hoods are rejects from caap. Jon's advice was beyond invaluable when I totaled my car. After a 20 minute phone call I would up taking a completely different course based on his advice.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the inside surface of the hood for cracks, including the area under the pad, and the hood supports very carefully. There may have been more damage than you think. Also check all of the components in back of the front fascia to make sure that nothing, supports,etc., moved on impact. Lastly, check the cockpit side of the hood where it meets the two small removeable body panels by the doors to make sure that there is no damage.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with Chuck on this. Get it fixed right. And I'd also go for diminished value. I'd be livid. I'd get it fixed right. Then I'd sell the car and buy another ******. But that is just me.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So hey... I got home today and took Rocket62's advice. Got out my zaino and orbital polisher, and VOILA! Everything looks good as new! :D

My client continues to apologize and is more than willing to pay, so that takes a load off my shoulder. I'd hate to battle this out with the insurance. I'm thinking new fascia, fixed hood and a new paint job. We'll see on Friday when I get it looked at.

Thanks for all of your advice, concern and sarcasm. :p :nana:

Will update when I get more info.

Chad: I wanted your ****** girls... NOT your bad luck. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc