Want to become a Viper Owner

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing my 1st Viper soon. I have been looking around and am having a tough time trying to decide what year car to get. Can anyone give me any pros and cons of the different generations and years.

We are not planning on racing the car. It is going to be more of a pleasure vehical for me and my wife. :drive:

We will probably put 2-3000 miles a year on the car.

Any and all coments would be great.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably a thread or two on this topic already but let me put in my 2 cents.

Gen 1 cars being the first Vipers have the least horsepower and creature comforts. They were all roadsters and have plastic windows and tend to leak. Many don't have A/C. Yet to many they are sentimental favorites because they started the whole Viper legend. There styling was "out there" for the time and they still look good today. Gen 1s had side exhaust. I've never owned a Gen 1.

Gen 2 cars including the new for 1996 Coupe were a bit more sophisticated with glass side windows and A/C. Horsepower also jumped to 450. Later Gen 2s also added ABS. Some of the Gen 2s had forged pistons which stand up better to mods, other Gen 2s don't. I can't remember which year they changed but I want to say 1999. The Gen 2 roadsters still leaked water so driving in the rain is not recommended, at least by me. Gen 2s also added the Naca duct on the hood. I owned a 1998 RT/10. Styling of course was still much like the Gen 1s but without the side exhaust.

Gen 3 cars beginning in 2003 were significantly better driving cars than Gen 1 or 2s. Horsepower was jumped to 500 (or a little more based on newer testing standards). All 2003-2005 Gen 3s were full convertibles with folding tops and power side windows. They were tighter and are plentiful in the used market at reasonable prices. In 2006 they launched the coupe. Many people didn't care for the Gen 3 styling as compared to the Gen 1/2s. I wasn't crazy about it initially but I really like it now. The coupe is awesome looking to me. The convertibles no longer leak water.

Gen 4s started in 2008, there was no 2007. Gen 4s have 600 HP and a beefier trans and a different rear end. They also get a swinging oil pickup and are drive by wire. Other than the hood, which is more aggressive on the Gen 4s, they look pretty much like a Gen 3. There are also more wheel choices. Exhaust changes make the Gen 4s cooler inside than previous Gens, including the Gen 3.

Bottom line. The answer to your question depends on several factors. Which style do you prefer? Do you want a convertible or a coupe? All Gen 1s are convertibles, Gen 2-4 give you a choice. How much do you wish to spend? If money is no object I would say get a Gen 4, they are simply better. If you prefer the Gen 1/2 style, I would get a Gen 2 because they have more HP are newer and to me the hood with the duct is cooler looking. If you prefer Gen 3/4 styling but don't want to step up to the dollars for a Gen 4 then a Gen 3 is a good choice.

Either way Viper ownership is something special so good luck with your decision and don't forget to join the VCA when you get one. Also when you do you should consider attending VOI 11 in Utah. VOIs are awesome.

OP
OP
M

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gbatejan thanks for that great info. :2tu:
We test drove a 2006 coupe and convertible yesterday and thought that we preferred the look of the coupe.
We looked at a 1997 dark viper blue coupe yesterday and the sales person said that it was one of the most wanted Vipers out there. Until we talked with that sales person we had been looking at the 2006 Vipers.
Is there a way to fix the heat issue in the Gen 3's?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which style do you like? If it is the first style (Gen I or II) "I" would get a 01 or 02 since it has ABS brakes. The 01 and 02's also come in the colors "I" prefer (Sapphire or Graphite). The only exception to this rule is if you want to supercharge or turbo it and if that's the case I would get a 98 or 99 with a forged bottom end.

If you like the new style (Gen III or Gen IV) I would go with an 08 or 09 since they have 600hp and come in both a coupe or convertible. JMHO :drive:

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gbatejan thanks for that great info. :2tu:
We test drove a 2006 coupe and convertible yesterday and thought that we preferred the look of the coupe.
We looked at a 1997 dark viper blue coupe yesterday and the sales person said that it was one of the most wanted Vipers out there. Until we talked with that sales person we had been looking at the 2006 Vipers.
Is there a way to fix the heat issue in the Gen 3's?
Mike,
The fix for the heat issue in the Gen 3 is pretty easy. The problem is mostly due to the exhaust crossover, which happens to run right beneath the seats. The two simplest solutions: (1) change out the exhaust system for the one from the Gen 4, which does away with the crossover (you might find one available from a Gen 4 owner who modified his car with aftermarket headers, cats, and exhaust, but still has the originals), or (2)simply change to an aftermarket exhaust for the Gen 3. It just depends on whether you want a factory or aftermarket system; either will take care of the heat problem.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gbatejan put together a great summary. What it didn't address in my mind is the intangible in these cars. IMHO as you progress through the generations Vipers lose some of their raw, untamed feel. I came to Viper ownership from the world of '60s muscle cars. I fell in love with the nasty edginess of the GTS. For me the newer cars lacked that. It really is a simple matter of taste. Figure out what you want, and you will love what you buy.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id honestly say gen3 or gen4 all the way...

If you want raw history..get a gen1..

if you want the fastest production car you could buy in the world back in 1996 with awesome styling then get a GTS..

If you want a great car with great handling for a great price that looks just like a 2009 Viper that cost 85K ...then spend 40K and get a 2003 SRT10 viper that has 10K miles and a warranty till 2011..

If you have the coin then get the 2008..no questions asked

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy Maurice Liang's book "Viper Buyers Guide", very informative.
I'm going to take acception to Twisters thoughts, Gen 1 and 2's never get mistaken for chevies. My Gen 2 RT10 was as refinded as they ever came, nothing like driving that car with the top off. Plenty fast for the street, not much I would ever trade it for.

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, get Maurice's book. Best $20 you will EVER spend on the Viper!

Best of luck!

Do also consider yellow. Very nice cars. Much better than boring old red. :D:D

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gbatejan put together a great summary. What it didn't address in my mind is the intangible in these cars. IMHO as you progress through the generations Vipers lose some of their raw, untamed feel. I came to Viper ownership from the world of '60s muscle cars. I fell in love with the nasty edginess of the GTS. For me the newer cars lacked that. It really is a simple matter of taste. Figure out what you want, and you will love what you buy.

Good luck!

As for me... Yes!! I fell in love with the raw an untamed gen 1!! I've owned three of them and don't care a bit about the "flaws"... So what if it's got a bit less HP? .. or the windows on a car designed to be ******* leak? Drive one and learn what a real sports car feels like!!

OP
OP
M

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who sent a reply. This is all great info and I can not wait to be part of your group. I think after reading this post I am leaning towards the 2006 coupe. If anyone knows of a great car for sale please send them my way.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
The fix for the heat issue in the Gen 3 is pretty easy. The problem is mostly due to the exhaust crossover, which happens to run right beneath the seats. The two simplest solutions: (1) change out the exhaust system for the one from the Gen 4, which does away with the crossover (you might find one available from a Gen 4 owner who modified his car with aftermarket headers, cats, and exhaust, but still has the originals), or (2)simply change to an aftermarket exhaust for the Gen 3. It just depends on whether you want a factory or aftermarket system; either will take care of the heat problem.

More specifically, from the aftermarket, the Corsa exhaust system will work without running into the resonance problem. The Gen IV does work but with a little more noise (not much). This modification (removing crossovers) will also cause the exhaust side outlets to "spit" more. Don't wear good pants and stand in front of them! :mad: This is easy to do when replacing the top cover on a convertible.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to do a thread search. Someone posted a thread about a brand new 2006 red coupe. 79 miles. Been sitting in a dealership since new. I can't find it right this minute but I read it this morning. Also check the classified sections as there is usually a good selection there.

V

Venomiss

Welcome! Here are some good threads to read up on.
http://forums.viperclub.org/dealer-...-dealerships-post-good-first-time-buyers.html

You also might want to contact the closest Viper club to you. Many Vipers have been purchased by word of mouth plus you would get to meet the owners and get some background information on the car. Be sure to have a Viper tech(see page two of the thread above) look over whatever Viper you end up interested. Might save you big bucks down the road.

Try the search-pop in differences by year, or warranty years. Bunches of threads devoted to this subject for you to read up on.

Will also send you a PM with some other information for you. Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
M

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why yes he did. Santa should be loading it up and sending it's way home on Monday.

2008 Viper coupe

I will post pictures and a great big Thank You to all on this board as soon as she gets here.