Warning to other vinyl stripers

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON"T follow anyone too closely at speed.
Learned the hard way after a little spirited driving last weekend (and the roads were perfectly clean) with some Viper bro's. When I got home I noticed about five 1/8" holes in the vinyl on the fascia area, where I got peppered with sand or some normal road debris obviously kicking up from the lead car. Probably wouldn't happen under "normal" driving conditions, we may possibly have exceeded the speed limit here or there. :eek:

No harm to the paint but I will have to redo that area in the spring. The vinyl doesn't take a beating easily so back off the cars in front of you.

KenJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh stripers...I read 'strippers'...oh well...a little less excited now!

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh stripers...I read 'strippers'...oh well...a little less excited now!"...LOL.
That might only happens at speeds over 110mph, care to tell us how fast you were going? =)

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh stripers...I read 'strippers'...oh well...a little less excited now!"...LOL.
That might only happens at speeds over 110mph, care to tell us how fast you were going? =)

Well, I was following Charlie T, what does that tell you?? :rolleyes:

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know that there are different qualities and thicknesses of vinyl. do these differences matter at all in cases like this?

I agree. With so many damaged areas, it sounds like thin, poor quality vinyl was used by your installer. I've had no such problems with my stripes. However, a big enough piece of debris at those speeds could damage almost anything.

DrDJ

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thus the reason why I'm considering clear coating it with vinyl. I've got a coupl,e areas where the vinyl is lifting, not a big thing but down the line could mean I'd I've to replace those sections. If I do the clear bra over it, I will overlap it by about 1/8th inch. Anyone else clearbra their stripes?

Bat™

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it was Avery vinyl 8 year warranty a name brand vinyl manufacturer. Quote "Vinyl used is Premium Cast Avery Dennison 2 mil 8 Year Vinyl". Car speed may have been a contributing factor... :)

It was just sand blasted.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh you were <font color="red"> RIGHT THERE </font> also, C.B.
In fact, I think you may have instigated the whole thing!!! :2tu:

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why don't you guys paint the stripes on? when you pull the stripes off won't you have to repaint anyway because of the faded paint?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why don't you guys paint the stripes on? when you pull the stripes off won't you have to repaint anyway because of the faded paint?

I'm thinking of going vinyl, because if I ever have to sell the viper, the next owner might prefer an all original Viper. If the car is well taken care off, I doubt there will be any noticeable differences (ie garaged kept and waxed everynow and then)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I applied white stripes to a red RT and had them on for nearly 6 years before removing them for the next owner, no fade, after a polish you couldnt tell they had been there.

Guess you'd notice a difference if the car sat outside all the time sitting in sunshine, but who leaves their viper outside.

As for small tears from flying debris never had any, though I've picked up a tiny mark on the current viper stripe (3M material), not a problem I'll just apply a new peice sometime, if its saved the paint underneath i'll be happy

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm thinking of going vinyl, because if I ever have to sell the viper, the next owner might prefer an all original Viper. If the car is well taken care off, I doubt there will be any noticeable differences (ie garaged kept and waxed everynow and then)

A good vinyl installation is almost indistinguishable from paint. I have had people run their hand over it and still can't tell. It gives you the option to change your mind on the stripes as well, or even change the color down the road. A good paint job will require dismantling the car and there is no way I would let some paint shop do that, these cars are tricky enough for the factory to get the gaps right. And like he says, stripes are not everyones cup of tea so you don't limit your resale market. The car would have to sit in the sun for a long time for the paint to fade as to make a noticable difference (a poster on here had them on for six or seven years and took them off with no ill effect). Do you know any Viper owners who keep their car outside year round in the sun? Me either.

Damn Neil, I wrote all this and you beat me to it! :2tu:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I was following Charlie T, what does that tell you?? :rolleyes:

Sure blame me now. Carlos was making 130 mph passes kicking up stones. I remained at a cool 55 mph the whole time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte