WARNING-When replacing oil cooler lines.

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know replacing the oil cooler lines with the braided lines from Viper Specialty or other, has been covered in detail several times . However, one problem that happened to me, has never been mentioned......When removing the quick connect fitting from the cooler, using hardly any torque, the damn lug on the cooler snapped off. So I had to go buy a cooler for $200. Luckily my local dealer had one. These coolers are oven brazed or CAB brazed I think and are delicate. So, I suggest using a little heat from a little propane torch etc.. on the fitting. I used heat to remove these fittings on the new cooler also, they were very tight.
One other tip...When removing the upper fitting from the block, which is the tricky one, drill a small hole in the lower part of the old line, to drain the oil and then cut through the aluminum close to the fitting with a hacksaw blade. It's super soft. Now you can go in from the side with a socket and 6' extension.
The new lines fit great and it's worth the effort.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post and info. Glad its sorted out now and another reason I personally have my Viper tech do all the work. He breaks it (hardly ever) dealer pays for it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ouch! Honestly, yours is a first! I have not seen/heard of that happening before- but yes, they can be damn tight.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The interesting part is that it's not really the quick connect that's the problem on these lines, it's the lines themselves. Where the rubber hose crimps to the tube that plugs into the quick connect seems to weep oil over time. My fittings were nice and dry, the hoses were wet though.

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The interesting part is that it's not really the quick connect that's the problem on these lines, it's the lines themselves. Where the rubber hose crimps to the tube that plugs into the quick connect seems to weep oil over time. My fittings were nice and dry, the hoses were wet though.

If they're similar to the P/S lines then you can bet the pipe itself is the cause. In a previous post, I pointed out the crappy finish on the contact surface causes abrasion on the o-ring for certain ultimate leaking. A fine grit sanding eliminates the problem.
Max

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21