Water/**** injection thoughts on Centrifugal chargers....

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What do you guys think if you were to put an injection preintake of the novi 2000 for water injection? Obviously while the air that is being compressed is very hot, do you think shooting a mist of water in there would help keep the charge even cooler? Not sure if this is a bad idea or something that really won't make a difference.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let you know, I'm running it with my Vortech. I've already put back some timing with no detonation. I have stopped tuning for the time being, because my methanol is coming today and there is no reason to finish tuning with straight water, when I will be running a mix. Also, I tune on the road, so I need to get a 2nd person in the car to help watch some of the gauges. It's kind of tough to watch boost, rpm, AF and keep the car on the road while keeping an eye out for police. I believe Doug was using a water injection system in Roofs car, so it must have it's merits.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's kind of tough to watch boost, rpm, AF and keep the car on the road while keeping an eye out for police.

I hear ya brother! LOL!

I am going to try the water injection pre supercharger and see what happens. I think it will keep the charger cooler and help the air before it gets to the intake.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam,

I would think you would want to put the mix in POST supercharger for two reasons, 1) the centrifigal will tend to spin the moisture out of atomization and condense it into liquid form on the housing of the compressor (i think) 2) the pre-supercharged air is not as hot as the post supercharged air. The hotter the air the mist is sprayed into, the better the cooling effect.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You def want to put it post supercharger. The water will actually wear the blades of the compressor after a while.

With a roots type this is much less of a problem.

-Dave.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of that, give this a try:
http://www.seinesystems.com/MPC-Home.htm
Spray your IC, this is a proven way to cool down the air.
I have one on my turbo saab and it works great. Yeaaaa, I know it's a saab and not a viper, but the principle is that same. That with water injection I'm easily hitting 20 lbs of boost now (on the saab).

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went post SC in my metal tubes before the throttle bodies. Don't put them into the silicone tubes as the directions in Seans say you can, that is only for his style SC. In ours, it will blow them right out. They need to be tapped into metal.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Adam,

I would think you would want to put the mix in POST supercharger for two reasons, 1) the centrifigal will tend to spin the moisture out of atomization and condense it into liquid form on the housing of the compressor (i think) 2) the pre-supercharged air is not as hot as the post supercharged air. The hotter the air the mist is sprayed into, the better the cooling effect.

Come to think of it, you're right. I will need to do after the opening of the supercharger...pre intercooler and see what happens.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't do pre intercooler either. You will probably get water puddling up in there. You want to cool down the combustion chamber temps, so I would spray just before the throttle bodies.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wouldn't do pre intercooler either. You will probably get water puddling up in there. You want to cool down the combustion chamber temps, so I would spray just before the throttle bodies.

I am already doing that...with two nozzles...I am just trying to think how to keep it even cooler.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, I've been thinking along the same lines, I already have 4 0.7 aquamist jets spraying just before the throttle bodies in the y piece. I had thought about decreasing 2 of those to 0.6 jets and putting a 0.3 jet just before the supercharger inlet. The thinking behind this is that the blower itself gets heated by heat soak in the enine compartment and also the oil feed. Under boost it will take some time for the cool intake air to cool the blower body whereas a small well atomised spray of water would cool it more quickly by using evaporation of the water droplets. My concern is that the mist hitting the impellor might damage it, but I think that is unlikely. Puddling in the intercooler of a small quantity of quickly moving vapour or atomised liquid would be unlikely. If you try it before I do, I'd be interested to have your views.