water pump for 2000 gts

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any body know where i can find an oem one? Ive had no luck and have tried tator, mopar, vip parts of america and a few dealers...all on back order.

I assume aftermarket would not be as reliable and not going used.

OP
OP
S

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone running an aftermarket water pump with any luck?

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought an aftermarket unit that I think is better quality than OEM. Don't have the info right now, but will search again for it if interested. I didn't have confidence in the OEM...too many of them fail. Dodge parts are not always the best.

OP
OP
S

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Robert
I would be interested. Its been almost 5 weeks waiting for a water pump and id like to drink my car at some point this summer.

Thanks

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about Summit Racing? Have to think they have something....

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost bought a water pump from NAPA last year. I inspected it before buying and was shocked at how bad the casting and overall quality was...and for the low price of $280! I passed on that one.

VPA sent me a pump last year after about 7 months backorder. Maybe see if Paul Scharf had a good used one?. Good luck.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it was recommened by Chuck Tator to another member. Others have used them with no issues. I would not put a used pump on nor would I wait several months for an OEM one.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after my clutch slave and master went out.. I pondered why. My only conclusion is that it gets so damn hot under the hood. does anyone else feel that could be why low mileage viper parts are failing or is it just age..

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
after my clutch slave and master went out.. I pondered why. My only conclusion is that it gets so damn hot under the hood. does anyone else feel that could be why low mileage viper parts are failing or is it just age..

I've wondered the same thing. I purchased my 2000 GTS ACR in 2009 with 14,8xx miles on it. I have no idea how the other owners drove it. I know how I drive and it's good as I don't grind gears, beat on the car, etc. Yet after about 4k miles, I needed to replace the entire assembly, clutch slave and master etc. The past three years have been fine so the previous owners may have done the damage. However a fellow VCA member looked over my car when graciously fixing the harmonic balancer issue I had and noticed that the car likely had never been tracked. So who knows...

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just replaced the right front o2 sensor and noticed the wires were crispy, replaced and slid some 1 inch thermal loom over the sensor past the connector(about a two foot piece) and tied it out of the way, noticed some other crispy plastic parts, but did wrap my side pipes on top of the factory insulaton before installing the sills, might wrap the headers as a winter project, maybe a electric water pump. but then would need a different belt

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
terminator02, any idea how often the clutch fluid was changed since the car was manufactured? It should have been SEVERAL times...but, I'll bet not.

SquadXX, if I find a spare-to-the-spare water pump in my garage, I'll let you know.

jasond29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am the one that posted on the alley and got my NAPA pump in 3 days. Works perfect.

OP
OP
S

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My builder said they had a few napa water pumps break on them. I have heard mostly good things about GMB water pumps and may purchase one of them from summit racing but wanted to see what others may have had luck with prior to purchase.

Thanks steve indy

Paul S has one but id prefer not to go the used route, especially since a batch over a few years had defects.

OP
OP
S

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think im gonna buy a gates brand pump. Roe racing recommended it

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Gates from Rock Auto a while back and immediately returned it. It had made in China all over it.

jasond29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not trying to make someone buy a certain part but I will say this, I just got done installing the NAPA part a couple days ago and in Texas heat I can finally run my A/C in traffic and temps never go over 190. Also remember that it is the factory part that failed. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
S

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My builder had a couple napa ones broke otherwise I would have went with napa

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and be proactive and change the water pump. It's awful hot here in fl.

What kind if coolant you all running?

Reaction score
FYI, Mopar should have them back in stock in a few weeks. May not be soon enough for some we know, but they are definitely in the supply pipeline.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and be proactive and change the water pump. It's awful hot here in fl.

What kind if coolant you all running?

No. If you do your own work then buy one and keep it on the shelf. Might as well stock up on the hoses too. But I wouldn't replace it until you had to. I just replaced mine after 147,000 miles because I noticed a slow leak. It wasn't even enough to drop onto the floor but at 147,000 miles I figured I would. Had there not been a leak the stocker would still be on it.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. If you do your own work then buy one and keep it on the shelf. Might as well stock up on the hoses too. But I wouldn't replace it until you had to. I just replaced mine after 147,000 miles because I noticed a slow leak. It wasn't even enough to drop onto the floor but at 147,000 miles I figured I would. Had there not been a leak the stocker would still be on it.

well... yeah. I don't do my own work.

I do check to make sure hoses are soft and belts look good periodically. change my own oil every 6 months or so.. and that's the extent of it.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on subject, but kinda not.. would deleting the cats under the sills help keep the engine cooler?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave