Wax Test - Zaino Wins!

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont need no stinking test (but its nice that they did one!)

Just look at the results!

You must be registered for see images

This was taken after a full regiment of 'by-the-book' Zaino - starting with clay and all the way through at least 3 coats of carefully applied products!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This test should be done on a Viper hood and then filed in the archives! That was some great investigative reporting.

Great test!

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some days I feel like causing trouble...Today is one of those days since I am about to poke a finger in eye of the Zaino Mafia.

From the comparison web site, it is very clear that the real winner is Zymol's cheap and easy polish.

These tests confirm my own experiences and conclusions with many many different types of wax, including Zaino.

The bottom line is that no car looks as good as when it is freshly washed, waxed and buffed -- period. Zymol looks about the same as Zaino after these steps according to the test.

So, the issue is which wax is the cheapest and easiest to buy and apply?

Zymol is by far the winner. It's a single coat process that goes on super easy and wipes off super easy (and immediately with no waiting period!).

Although I should say that on dark cars the best results with any wax is to run a clean orbital buffer to even and set the wax. Zymol just turns the car liquid when you do this also makes it so you don't have to be too careful removing the polish.

So, all in all on a car like a Viper (which is usually a second car that is well cared for) I think running a quick coat of Zymol every time you wash the cars is very practical and makes it the clear winner.

Always having a good coat of protective wax on the car will also greatly cut down on the number of times you have to clay the car.

Besides, the whole Amway-salesperson Zaino thing combined with the 2-3 day process to do your car by the book is a big turn off to me.

ViperDoctor

PS Of all the clay bars I have used, I think Clay Magic is still the best.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zymol looks good on a car!! But you'll get the same shine from WD-40. Sure looks deep and wet, but who wants to reapply it every time you wash your car??? not me.

Zaino by far creates the deepest, clearest shine you can buy and protection. Only takes me about 1 hour to complete the process. That's LOCK, Swirl remover AND polish (hard to believe, but true!!) The trick is to put it on THIN so it dries quickly. Lasts forever too. I think last time I tried Zymol (full bottle in garage) the shine wore off first time it rained....

Sorry, save the Zymol, etc .. It suxxxx

Gerald

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, I think it's a bit uncalled for for you to say Zymol "suxxx."

BTW, if you can do all those steps in 1 hour for Zaino, how long did it take you do the 1 step of Zymol?

ViperDoctor

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdoctor...

"Some days I feel like causing trouble...Today is one of those days since I am about to poke a finger in eye of the Zaino Mafia"

You asked for it in your post...I gave it to you.... did you not??
smile.gif
If you wouldn't have asked, I wouldn't have said it.. (of course ,everything I say is with a smile!)

Gerald

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else, but everytime I take my car out it needs a bath. I think it gets a bath more than I do! I still need to try Zaino though.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justyn:

Don't let the Zymol dry completely. It's designed to be wiped off before it dries, unlike conventional waxes. Once it dries it will be harder to remove and it will create the dust you speak of.

You can use a California duster to quickly remove any dust that is present.

ViperDoctor

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intelman34: On dark cars, the streaking shows up with a lot of waxes. You won't notice it as much with light colored cars, but it's there. The best solution is to use an orbital buffer to even out the wax. I use a clean lambs wool pad. It's quick and easy.

ViperDoctor

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents...
I have all the Zaino "stuff" but have not yet applied it because of my old stand-by waxing technique.
3M swirl remover for dark cars followed by Zymol.
Any residual wax dust can be removed by a California dust mop.
Now here's the trick... Take a fine mist spray bottle filled with cold water and a couple of ice cubes. Spray the car with the cold water a small section at a time and wipe with a soft 100% cotton towel (cannon/fieldcrest). This sets the wax and creates a beatiful deep shine.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get rid of the streaks...dampen a good towel with water..then go over the car. The streaking is caused by the wax drying at different speeds. As far as the best polish? In my years of restoring cars I have tried just about every polish/wax known. The best is Zaino..hands down. I bought Dri-Wash years ago, and it is still on the shelf. I guess I have problems with their claims, like "no abrasives". Funny...they also say that it will remove heavy oxidation. How do you remove oxidation without abrasives?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the 70's, Rain Dance was Top Eliminator.

However, I don't think that particular formulation is around anymore. The proof was the incredible water beading which was in fact superior to other waxes. And it lasted months.

My guess is that the wax was too good.

How can you make any money with a wax that wears long? Better yet, look at how much money you can make with an expensive wax that doesn't last(!)

(Look at what they did to Rain-X. It used to be that if you put it on, it lasted months and was impossible to wear out - a real pain if you didn't like it! Now it barely lasts a week!)

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino lost the wax competition from the onset. Reason: Zaino is NOT A WAX. This makes it unique unto itself. It is as close to optically perfect as you can get once applied. Use what you like! For me, it's Sal's unreal deep gloss which saved my car from a tortuous "dealer prep" job I never should have let happen. Pete the ex-glass guy and VERY picky.

mchafin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never posted before so I thought I'd throw in my .02 .. Has anyone ever tried the paint sealant/wax made by Prolong?? I tried it about 1.5 years ago and I think it works great. It goes on and comes off easy. It also seems to have the best shine of any wax I've tried. Just curious if anyone else had any experience with it.