Wear and Tear from Road Racing

davewest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi everyone,

longtime lurker, not much of a poster here.

i have a 2004 srt-10 convertible purchased in 2005. I took it to the drag strip a few times and tore up the rear diff and half shafts after only 15 runs, so i quit tracking the car.

i was interested in the 2008 srt-10 coupe now expired in the for sale that was modified to include all the acr goodies. price is fair but seller tracked the car, approx 2000 hard track miles.

any thoughts to the reliability of the car with all those race miles?

thanks in advance.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do some search on this forum regarding changes between Gen 3 and Gen 4 and upgrades between Gen 4 MY 08 and 09
hi everyone,

longtime lurker, not much of a poster here.

i have a 2004 srt-10 convertible purchased in 2005. I took it to the drag strip a few times and tore up the rear diff and half shafts after only 15 runs, so i quit tracking the car.

i was interested in the 2008 srt-10 coupe now expired in the for sale that was modified to include all the acr goodies. price is fair but seller tracked the car, approx 2000 hard track miles.

any thoughts to the reliability of the car with all those race miles?

thanks in advance.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While tracking the car can be harder on the car than street driving, people that do track their cars also tend to be more diligent about maintenance. Most of us change fluids often and check every bolt for safety. We also change brakes and tires frequently. The Vipers were built to take the stresses of the track so I wouldn't be too worried about a tracked car. I've seen street cars that were more abused.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^AGREE^^^

Someone who tracks their car on a regular basis is generally much more in tune with the car than someone who tools around town with it. While it does put more stress on certain parts, it will also bring out the shortcomings, and usually lead to upgraded parts to replace the worn ones. They are also generally maintained to a high level. When you're pushing high speeds around corners and NEEDING brakes to slow from 160 for the upcoming 90 degree corner, maintenance is not something you skimp on.

For guys that drag race on a regular basis, I would assume this is true also. However, the owner that just goes to the strip every now and then might not do anything differently than a typical owner. Also, while these cars are very tough, a drag strip is not really their home like a road course is. While you are running a lot longer on a road course, the extreme shock load that a car sees on a drag strip (particularly during launch) can wreak havoc on them. Busted halfshats and rear ends are not uncommon on dragged Vipers.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd agree with that. Independent rear suspension and drag racing were never really friends. The NHRA rulebook actually makes you replace IRS with solid axles for certain classes. Dumping the clutch on a car that makes moutains of torque is a good way to break things. Hammering the gas out of a corner on a road course isn't nearly the same kind of stress.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with TowDawg and MoparMap, burn outs and dump clutch take offs are pretty darn tough on diffs and half shafts. When hammering the gas out of a corner on a road course you have some kind of slippage and wheel spin that alleviates that kind of stress.
And yes, I think guys who regularly track their cars also regularly keep up with the maintenance (fliuds, brakes, tires). Well, I do.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agree with the above. Maintenance is typically "over done" on tracked cars. For example, I change the oil and filter in my track cars every other weekend, which amounts to about every 300 to 400 miles. Brake fluid too. Diff and trans fluid every 4 to 5 weekends. Coolant every year.

My Gen II GTS ACR was still going strong after 25K track miles.

My Gen IV is still very strong after 12K track miles.

Talk to the owner. If they are typical track guys, they will have taken very good care of their car.

Dan

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been tracking mine since 22,000 miles. At 52,000 miles now. :drive:
The car is not falling apart, but the paint is getting thrashed behind the wheels, and the front bumper. Headlamps and windshield are getting frosted.
I am still on the original clutch.
Have been through many sets of tires and brakes.
Change oil and clutch fluid every track day.
Brake, power steering, trans and rear diff about every 6 days.

A street car does not receive that kind of attention (doesn't need it), but the overkill maintenance keeps these cars in good condition mechanically on tracked cars.
The road course is not ******* Vipers, it's what they are made for.
The dragstrip is for breaking stuff on a regular basis. :crazy2:

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are very robust cars. I raced a 2004 in SCCA's T1 class for several years. Touring 1 requires the car the be pretty much stock with some suspension mods. Maintenance on the car was a joke compared to the C5 Corvette I ran before I jumped to the Viper. Brakes lasted 4 times as long, rotors too. Clutches held up very well.

One thing I would recommend is installing the rear knuckle supports that various supporters of this site offer. Great insurance from a catastrophic failure.

Don't be afraid of buying a "tracked" Viper; the car was made to run. The SRT boys did their job.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just added the rear knuckle supports to my car last week. -new rear hubs as well.

I am still working on the 'nut behind the wheel'. ;)

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if constantly redlined track cars for 12000 miles would have a considerably higher level of internal engine wear than those that have similar miles put on under street driving conditions. Would it be safe to say that they are twice as worn based on driving at double the normal rpm range when on the street??

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I started this season, I had my oil pan off,........to upgrade to the gen IV pan.
Everything looked killer. No indications of any problems or excessive wear from driving balls-out.

:eater:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most track cars never get driven in the rain (no rusty parts underneath), get constant regular and preventative maintenance, get driven by someone who is very attune to anything that is not right (so it gets adjusted or fixed). 2000 track miles is barely breaking in a Viper if its by an experienced driver. The key here is who's car it is...inexperienced drivers are the greatest red flag if you ask me. Experienced, fast drivers tend to be a lot smoother. Inexperienced Viper drivers load up the brakes, are ******* the gas, and generally put more stress on the car. That being said, the car can handle it in most cases. Its really overbuilt in my opinion. Before you buy anything, have a thorough inspection done by a good tech. 2000 road miles can be tough on a car if its a ******* behind the wheel.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The situation for a car like that would depend a lot on if it is "fresh" or "tired"

If it has been gone through since it's last outing, with fresh brakes, pads, tires, fluids, suspension, transmission, rear end etc, etc, etc it should be ready for thousands of miles of street use.

It is is still hurting from it's last track excursion, the fluids could be shot, tires need replacing, brakes severely heat degraded. The rear end could have overheated fluids still inside, as well as brake and engine fluids. It may be running straight water in the radiator with no corrosion resistance or antifreeze installed.

The only way to know for sure is to get documented service from the seller, and a complete inspection from an independant Viper racing savy mechanic.

No way to tell from forum posts how much wear your prospective Viper is carrying.

Some tracked cars have airbags removed and may have been lightened significantly for track use. Lots to check out.

As others have said, Vipers tend to stand up remarkably well to track use, however regular maintenance is the key.

OP
OP
D

davewest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys,

thanks for all the info. I am having the car checked out at champion dodge in Indianapolis.

the car I am looking to buy is the 2008 venom red acr clone that has been around these parts for a long time. yes i know it's a clone, but I am looking for the performance of an acr at the price of a standard car.

I hope to track it a few times a year at mid-ohio. anyone know of a good used lightweight trailer for sale (i.e. trailex or similar)?