What am I missing on the HID kits from Rand Distrib? Installation ???

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The HID kits from Rand Distributing are really nice looking with their single unit ballast and ignitors and all factory style plugged harnesses. But I cannot get them to work. Even tried in my SRT-8 Jeep to make sure it was not a Viper ground issue. Tried going directly from the battery to the trigger lead (bypassing the car's headlight harness parts completely) and got bulbs to light. Are there some required separate power leads that are not in the instructions?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only think I can think of is: did you verify that you replaced the fuses with larger fuses? I've not delt with the Rand Distributing kits, but the Roe kit I used required swapping out the 10 amp headlight fuses with 20 amp fuses - not because they normally pull that much current, but the HIDs *do* pull close to 20 amps (each) on start-up, then drop to less than 3 amps for normal usage (stock headlights pull 55 watts / 12 volts ~= 4.5 amps). If you put the kits in a car and didn't replace the 10 amp fuses, you likely blew the 10 amp fuses.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Philips HID kit. I had to switch the polarity of the leads going from the ballast to the bulbs. You might want to try that.

This is everything that came with my kit.

2827hid001s.jpg

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Philips HID kit. I had to switch the polarity of the leads going from the ballast to the bulbs.
You actually cut the wires and swapped the conectors? The parts in your picture are basically what I have.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only think I can think of is: did you verify that you replaced the fuses with larger fuses? I've not delt with the Rand Distributing kits, but the Roe kit I used required swapping out the 10 amp headlight fuses with 20 amp fuses
My car already has 20 amp fuses for the headlights, and they are not blowing when I try the HID. Plus, I am having the exact same "no go" situation when I tried hooking the kit up to my truck.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've warned people against buying from Ron, so don't be surprised when you get crappy merchandise. If you return it, expect to pay the return shipping plus a $90.00 restocking fee. He has no integrity, and if you've had no problems with him consider yourself lucky.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Philips HID kit. I had to switch the polarity of the leads going from the ballast to the bulbs.
You actually cut the wires and swapped the conectors? The parts in your picture are basically what I have.

No, I didn't have to cut the wires. I was able to swap the connectors without cutting the wires. The internal pins were the same, I just swapped the external connectors.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the 8000K's and love them. I did the headlights and fogs! Would never trade them back.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Philips HID kit. I had to switch the polarity of the leads going from the ballast to the bulbs. You might want to try that.

This is everything that came with my kit.
I had the same problem with the set from RJ dist. You need to reverse the polarity- carefully take the plugs apart and reverse them.

On a side note- I had a problem with my light dimming after about 8 months. I emailed Rand and they had me return my ballast and sent me a brand new one with no problems.

Gary

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good sites that carry kits for both the headlights and foglights for a 2002 RT/10?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 8000K's and love them. I did the headlights and fogs! Would never trade them back.

The 8K's are a little to blue for me. I had the 4200K on my last car and the bright white is what im looking for :)

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
McCarlin, blue looks good, esp with your blue stripes! ;)

Josh, If the rain holds of tomorrow I will show you, the kits I got were, Blue ION. I got the headlights from R&J for $310 and a set of fogs on ebay for $250 w/ shipping. 8000K all around.

I can take some pics tomorrow night for anyone interested.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to switch the polarity of the leads going from the ballast to the bulbs. You might want to try that.

I had the same problem with the set from RJ dist. You need to reverse the polarity- carefully take the plugs apart and reverse them.
Thanks guys. Venomblue e-mailed and suggested the same thing. I reversed the leads on the connector going to the ballast/ignitor and BAM all is good! I will post pictures of the slick location I am placing the boxes.