What are you guys with black cars using?

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I'm well versed when it comes to detailing, I'm always curious to hear what ppl with black cars are using to keep them shiny, swirl free and deep looking.

I continue to try new products as they hit the market, but I know there's others I've never even heard of.

So, what are you guys using? Polishes/waxes/Spray detailers...whatever. I realize it's a broad question, but I would appreciate any replies. If it's good, I'll tell the other guys in my car club about it.

Last edited:

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Zymöl as wax, you bring it on with your hands and not with a pad. Less chance of rubbing sand into the paint and its good for a good 3 months.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adams Buttery Wax and Detail Spray, but what you use is not near as important as how you use it

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me break down your question a little. To keep paint scratch and swirl free, you have to properly maintain the paint. That consist of proper washing and/or dust removal as that is where 99% of your paint damage is going to come from. That part is not so much about the name brand of the products that you are using, but more about using the correct technique and the proper equipment.

Now the actual process of making the paint shiny is done one way: POLISHING. Polishing is what makes paint shine, not waxing or anything else that you do. If you put wax on your car and create a shine, it is because you have just scrubbed dirt and haze off the paint and doing that creates paint damage. NOT the route to go. This is why you polish paint to begin with. Once you have obtained the shine you want from polishing, you then protect that shine with wax. Some waxes may give your shine more depth, but no wax is going to make your paint more shiny. Again, shine is achieved through polishing.

Now I have not mentioned any products for a reason. You all have seen my videos so you know one of the product lines that I use. However, there are quite a few product lines out there that you can do this with. What you must do in order to help you decide on what to try is to stay away from over the counter products that are sold at big box stores or neighborhood auto stores (Costco, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc...). Also, stay away from anything that is a "miracle in a bottle" (Nu-Finish comes to mind), and anything that does not follow the mindset that I explained above. Any quality product on the market will contain products that follow the technique and mindset I described.

Lastly, use a product that the manufacturer will back 100%. If you can buy a product from a manufacturer and return it for a full refund if you are not happy with it, then you are dealing with a manufacturer who stands behind their product. That my friends is a very small group of manufacturers to choose from. :drive:

Last edited:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adams Buttery Wax and Detail Spray, but what you use is not near as important as how you use it

Agreed. I use Meguires Gold Class carnauba plus. Maybe not the top of the line, but I REALLY make sure I don't damage the paint before I wax (like when washing).

Ron

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the reply so far guys! Junkman2008, I totally agree that how a person polishes is more important than the products themselves to a degree. Polishes cut/flatten and fix paint, very true. Wax does little more than add protection and extra depth.

I buy and sell odd ball cars as a hobby. Black cars are my specialty....but these things are sometimes weathered, and have 10+ yr old paint (even though Im sure their owners tried their best). So I always like to see what's new or different out there. Currently, I'm using AutoMagic's professional line (great stuff)

IDMSDBA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Zaino (from my Vette days). Just follow their instructions.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the reply so far guys! Junkman2008, I totally agree that how a person polishes is more important than the products themselves to a degree. Polishes cut/flatten and fix paint, very true. Wax does little more than add protection and extra depth.

I buy and sell odd ball cars as a hobby. Black cars are my specialty....but these things are sometimes weathered, and have 10+ yr old paint (even though Im sure their owners tried their best). So I always like to see what's new or different out there. Currently, I'm using AutoMagic's professional line (great stuff)

Keep in mind that black paint does not weather or wear any differently than any other color. It just shows up in more clarity with black paint. Knowing that, one should realize that whatever works best on black, will be equally effective on any color in the spectrum. There is no such product as one that is made for any specific color when talking about polishing, unless you're talking about over the counter gimmick type products.

Remember, the product in the bottle has absolutely no clue what color your car is. The product is going to do what it does (be that good or bad), regardless of the color of the car. ;)

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

How about that shine? :omg: This Viper received Megs M105/205 combo and was topped off with NXT 2.0. Although Meguiars has done the job for us, we plan to use Adams products within the near future! Black is best when its clean, but unfortunately for most, its a pain in the ass to maintain!

OP
OP
J

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ true that, it never stays clean for long. I've anyways had at least a couple black cars, and it's often a love/hate thing, but I wouldn't trade them. I still have a hard time finding products (waxes/glazes/sealants) that have any longevity in terms of their protection. We get snow & salt here, so that doesn't help

that's a gorgeous Coupe by the way :cool:

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman -

Are you familiar with the products coming from Griots Garage? I have heard some good reviews regarding their product line.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from the effects of tracking my car, my paint has held up pretty well. I used zaino in then past and had good results. Keeping it dry and proper cleaning makes all the difference.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^ true that, it never stays clean for long. I've anyways had at least a couple black cars, and it's often a love/hate thing, but I wouldn't trade them. I still have a hard time finding products (waxes/glazes/sealants) that have any longevity in terms of their protection. We get snow & salt here, so that doesn't help

that's a gorgeous Coupe by the way :cool:

Adam's Machine Super Wax has the longest life of all the products I've tried. You should get about 6 months (depending on weather conditions and washing frequency) out of one coat.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman -

Are you familiar with the products coming from Griots Garage? I have heard some good reviews regarding their product line.

I am familiar with the line but I have not used them personally. I haven't heard anything bad about them but until I try them myself, I really can't offer anything constructive.

RAY S

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Zaino Brothers is the only way to fly. But as was mentioned earlier, you have to be very careful not to scratch the clear coat while washing and waxing. Even if you have a little dirt in your sponge or buffing cloth, it can cause real trouble. I use a seperate sponge for the wheels. I start with my clean sponge on the cleanest part of the car (usually hood and roof) when I do the washing process. The wheels and rockers are last. The rags and sponges need to be VERY soft. You cannot even use a cotton towell for fear of scratching. I thought I was a very careful washer when I first got my black Viper but I had to take it to a high end paint shop where they gently buffed all the little spider web type scratches away that I created before I learned my lessons...

Black is absolutely very beautiful when clean but very tough to keep that way !

:drive:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It only looks a's good as the prep work that goes into it. I cut withan LC Yellow pad using Megs 105 or Menzerna SIP depending on the correction needed. I follow with Menzerna 85rd on either an LC white or Black pad depending on how it's finishing. I use a Flex rotary and DA machines, but mostly use my DA these days.

Once it's level I seal with Zaino Z5 pro and slap a coat of Pinnacle Souveran for depth.

Andy Wheeler