What brake pad is right for me?

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive tried searching but cant find exactly what i want. I never had to buy pads for the viper until now. Im looking for a pad with good bite but not alot of brake dust. And decently priced too. I dont track the car but i do attend alot of shows and occasionally tear up the streets. I really like the hawk pads like the HPS and the performance ceramic. My buddy recommended stoptech pads. But i figured i would get the advice from the viper crew. So please help me out. Thanks. :dunno:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory pad is made by Brembo and works just fine even for open track sessions up to 9/10ths. Flush out the system with a good fluid like Motul 600...we run that in our ACR, Comp Coupe, even our Ferrari F430. Also make sure you bleed out the ABS when you do a fluid flush-may need a DRB or Snap-On Brick to do it properly.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running EBC Reds, They have been on the car for 3 months

Ive done a bit of track stuff and have been involved in sprinting the car down airfield runways. They are worn out already!

Driving back home tonight from a track day heard the familiar grinding noise of worn out pads!

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What CCBrian said. Any of the track pads make dust and take longer than you want to heat up.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawk pads, HPs for the street, good bite, nice pad modulation, brake dust rinses odd easily.

I run their DTC-60 pads at the track and they are truly amazing!

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Snakem, howd you make out with the Hawk HP Plus? Like em?
Im thinking of ordering Carbotech 8's or 10's.. anyone rocking the Carbotech 10's on the track...I know theyre noisy and dusty...but claim dust is non -corrosive and easy to clean off ? :drive:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Carbotech .................it appears you have an 04 and these are a great pad with good bite and wonderful on the track. Unlike some pads they don't take a ton to warm up, so easy for both street and track use. My personal preference as I am not a big fan of Hawks as they seem to be more abrasive and not as linear in feel.

I am pretty sure Rick Wesorick runs them, and since he essentially has a National Championship running them, that is good enough for me also.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was using Carbotech's on the vette before upgrading to Wilwood calipers and they were great.

I second the Motul 600. Great fluid for track work. Really any DOT3/4 will work for the street, you'll never get it that hot on the street.

Reaction score
Another great thing about the Carbotech pads is that the dust that they do generate is non corrosive, this is exclusive to the Carbotech brand and won't damage paint or expensive wheels!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Carbotech's is everyone running? I just ordered some XP12's for my fronts for the track

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also running EBC reds, and squealing like a city bus.:D

I put a set on the car when I first bought it and had the same problem. I pulled them, scuffed them, and retried them with every different bedding procedure I could find, but they would never stop squeeling. I ended up giving them away to another member on here and went to the Hawks. Never been happier.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a set on the car when I first bought it and had the same problem. I pulled them, scuffed them, and retried them with every different bedding procedure I could find, but they would never stop squeeling. I ended up giving them away to another member on here and went to the Hawks. Never been happier.

I have EBC Reds on my GTS and have never heard a peep from them. Has anyone sprayed the disc brake quiet on the back of pads? I did and that seems to make all the difference.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine talk to me a little bit with no stuff on the back of the pad, I do remember reading some of the "older stock" EBC pads did not have a squeal plate on the back and you would need to contact EBC to get them free of charge, mine had the black plates already attached so they are "new stock"

I have EBC Reds on my GTS and have never heard a peep from them. Has anyone sprayed the disc brake quiet on the back of pads? I did and that seems to make all the difference.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the Motul 600. Great fluid for track work. Really any DOT3/4 will work for the street, you'll never get it that hot on the street.

The only brake fluid that I would use on the track is Castrol SRF, I find it much better then Motul. It has a higher wet boiling point and needs to be bled less on track day, unfortunately it's pricey but you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
What Carbotech's is everyone running? I just ordered some XP12's for my fronts for the track

You will want the XP10's for the rear. The nice thing about the Carbotech pads is that they can be tailored for your braking technique. If you use a compound that is 1 or 2 steps less aggressive in the rear you will eliminate early lockup in the rear and possible wheel hop. On and ABS car they help stop premature ABS activation the same way, great pads!

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only brake fluid that I would use on the track is Castrol SRF, I find it much better then Motul. It has a higher wet boiling point and needs to be bled less on track day, unfortunately it's pricey but you get what you pay for.

Hmm.. good choice. I'm trying to attach a post I put up last year..

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give up..link no attachey :dunno: It was a post I put up this past August entitled " brake fluid" rating all fluids according to WET boinling point. And someone help with this link?
ihatecomputersgrrr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave