What Brand Stainless Steel Brake Lines are Shaped like the OEM ones

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 2 versions of stainless steel brake lines for the Gen 2. The ones I have are not shaped and mounted like the oem ones. What is the company that makes the set that are shaped like the oem ones and mount in similar fashion? I have seen them before so they are produced. I am only asking after seeing what happened to Gary's car with the line breaking right at the seam.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge, only the DBB now Parts Rack lines are a proper fit. And it is more in regards to the mounting brackets than the hoses themselves. I have them on my car - they fit perfectly - and have plenty of good pics if you want me to post them here.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge, only the DBB now Parts Rack lines are a proper fit. And it is more in regards to the mounting brackets than the hoses themselves. I have them on my car - they fit perfectly - and have plenty of good pics if you want me to post them here.

Please post a photo of the stainless line routed in oem fashion. I am not a fan of the zip ties in the front for the BBK. My lines are straight and the angle the line attaches to the caliper is ******* the lines, makes me nervous. This is what happened to that salvage one I bought, it split right at that stress point.

Also I have seen a set of line that were stainless steel and formed to the shape of the oem ones, not just routed. They were on my buddies car before he bought them. They are also compatible with the big brake kit because I installed it on his car as well.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the DBB lines are zip tied to the upper control arm at the front. Used with rubber spacers between the line and the control arm chafing is not an issue. I've had them on my car like that for years. Well, let me get my pics posted. Same ones, new topic lol.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction... Looks like the rear line is zip tied too. Once again tho, this has not caused any problems, and I can't even remember how the factory lines were routed. Apparently different than this.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rears don't concern me as bad as the fronts. I have mine set up like yours. There is a lot of stress placed on the point where the stainless line attaches to the metal sheath (piece that screws onto the caliper). I have seen a set that attach normally and basically the oem lines make a turn under the A arm to attach to the caliper.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the DBB lines made by IPSCO?

Dave, what have you used to clean your control arms? They look factory fresh.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey KNG SNKE...remind me what year is your GTS? I have a 2001 RT/10 with ABS and I use some clips/spacers to connect the brake lines to the ABS cable. I also cut the ABS brackets off the OE brake line bundles and used them on my big brake installation.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KNG, I took pics of the late DBB's SS lines in 2008 but never got around to a write up. I'll post pics of them today maybe it will help you. At the time, they were the only lines that fit properly and Dave nailed the correct fitting to use. Check back in a little while. Never mind, Dave beat me to it. Those Red viper owners are fast indeed.:)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To throw a wrench into this topic, I know that for years the stainless lines were not legal for street use. They did not meet DOT requirements. I think if my memory serves me right that a company called Goodridge was the only one that made DOT legal lines. In fact when I read about that Viper crash and brakeline failure I was wondering if they were DOT legal and if the Insurance co was smart enough to check. It's an easy way to deny a claim.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The legality has no bearing on my question but an interesting note. There are a lot of other things we do to our cars that are not dot legal either.

On a side note the ones that were sold by Big Brake Dave are just straight lines with no bend. When I go home I will see if I can find a photo. These lines have a loose 180 degree bend in them and mount like the oem ones but with good room to move.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Legality in this case has to do with safety. Case in point here. How often do you hear of major collisions caused by factory brake lines. I mentioned this point because of your concerns with the brake lines splitting.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as I am about ready to drive to Charlotte you bring this up? I know my stainless steel lines sure do help me stop better than the old lines did. Maybe if I throw my old lines in the trunk I'll still be legal?

To throw a wrench into this topic, I know that for years the stainless lines were not legal for street use. They did not meet DOT requirements. I think if my memory serves me right that a company called Goodridge was the only one that made DOT legal lines. In fact when I read about that Viper crash and brakeline failure I was wondering if they were DOT legal and if the Insurance co was smart enough to check. It's an easy way to deny a claim.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I did DBB's SS brake line upgrade I had purchased a set of SS brake lines from another vendor. These brake lines had some type of swivel to them but they did not line up/fit well to the hard brake lines by the frame. In fact, the vendor, at that time, told me to bend the hard lines until they mated with the SS lines. :omg: Um, no. Those lines were short. I contacted DBB and he sent me his lines with the proper fittings. I returned the other lines. I have no idea John if we're talking about the same swivel lines or not. I'm fairly certain I had a thread here in '08 detailing the issue but can't find it, yet. I installed this in '08, no issues at all.

Some pics of DBB stuff:

Kit:
You must be registered for see images attach

Fittings to Replace Stock Fitting to Hard Lines:

Fitting Mounted

Line Conected, looks tighter than it really is in this pic:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The length of the stainless lines and type of fittings were also a big concern for me too when I installed my brake fluid recycle kit. You have to remember that the front lines not only move up and down with the suspension but also move in and out when turning the wheel! The stainless line on that salvaged car did not have the correct end fitting, which is why it failed.

I have the Ipsco lines to my stock rear caliper and the Ipso adapter which uses the OEM hard line. My stainless lines on the front are custom made.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...akeoyl-type?highlight=brake+fluid+recycle+kit

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fault! I was thinking about the hardlines on the master cylinder and not the brake lines. I have what Dave has but I am also having the same issues that you are stressing. Mine do the same thing when you turn to sharp it puts stress on the fitting. My car is also lowered so it creates clearance issues as well. I hate the routing of the lines and I might switch back to the oem ones unless there is an easier way. I have no issues with the back, it's just in the front when I turn is my main concern.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the question remains, was the brake line that failed DOT approved, and if so, is the problem a design issue in the routing of the hose? Is it because the hose is less flexible and therefore kinks at the transition from fitting to hose? Could a slight change in banjo positioning make all the difference?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely, and another inch or two the hose length would also help.

The main thing I remember from the photos of the salvaged car was that the banjo fitting itself was not correct. The fitting should have come away from the caliper at a 45 degree angle, this in turn would put less strain on the crimped fitting and stainless line.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely, and another inch or two the hose length would also help.

The main thing I remember from the photos of the salvaged car was that the banjo fitting itself was not correct. The fitting should have come away from the caliper at a 45 degree angle, this in turn would put less strain on the crimped fitting and stainless line.

Thanks for remining me: This was the other problem with original set of SS lines I purchased. The banjo fitting was not correct in terms of the angle and definitely would put a strain on the crimped fitting.

And I found the old thread about the brake lines, maybe these are the ones you're thinking of KNG? http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/611591-Sale-on-Stainless-Steel-Braided-Brake-Lines-1992-2006!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The length of the stainless lines and type of fittings were also a big concern for me too when I installed my brake fluid recycle kit. You have to remember that the front lines not only move up and down with the suspension but also move in and out when turning the wheel! The stainless line on that salvaged car did not have the correct end fitting, which is why it failed.

I have the Ipsco lines to my stock rear caliper and the Ipso adapter which uses the OEM hard line. My stainless lines on the front are custom made.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...akeoyl-type?highlight=brake+fluid+recycle+kit

Ok you are thinking like what I am trying to say.

The up and down motion in the front is not the problem, it is the side to side. These brake lines I am referring to make a 180 degree bend inside the knuckle to allow easy swivel for the front wheels and less stress on the line to caliper attachment.

If someone knows where you can find the right attachment for a 45 degree angle instead of the oem 90 degree angle for the SRT brakes that would sold my dilemma. The brake line that broke was parallel to the caliper instead of a 45 offset, same as how my car is and many other SRT brake upgraded cars.

Look at Daves photo and how the brake line attaches to the caliper. It is almost perfectly straight up and down. Puts stress on that joint where the stainless steel line is pressed into the fitting. That is where the line split on the salvage car.

On a side note I contacted Sean earlier today and he has seen the brake lines I am referring to but doesn't know the manufacturer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456