What can be used to clean carbon build up in cylinders?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is called "combustion chamber cleaner/traitement".
Your Dodge dealer can do it for you.

BE VERY CAREFULL. It will also remove the thin oil film on the cylinder walls. If you do it yourself read carefully the instructions on the spray.

On some heavily carbonated engins it can do miracles.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A product called 'Seafoam' works wonders for this. Do a Google search. It's avaiable from most NAPA stores.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just use Techron?

Combustion Chamber Deposits
Both gasoline and deposit control additives can contribute to the formation of combustion chamber deposits (CCD). The degree of contribution depends on the composition of either or both. CCD buildup will cause the octane number requirement of an engine to increase. CCD can also cause exhaust emissions, especially oxides of nitrogen emissions, to increase. In engines designed with small squish heights, heavy deposits can cause a physical interference between the piston top and cylinder head. This is referred to as combustion chamber deposit interference (CCDI) or carbon knock.

Benefits of Chevron Techron® Concentrate
The above discussion shows that, under some circumstances, fuel injector deposits can still form.

Furthermore, there are LAC deposit control additives currently being used that are not controlling intake valve deposits. Even with higher levels of additives, critical engines and engines operating under severe service are forming intake valve deposits. Combustion chamber deposits are forming and some deposit control additives contribute to their formation. Deposits in critical areas of engines can increase regulated exhaust emissions, reduce fuel economy, and increase the octane number requirement off engines.

Since engine deposits are still forming, even with the EPA and CARB required use of certified deposit control additives, there remains a need for functional supplemental additives like Chevron Techron® Concentrate. Unlike some supplemental additives that contain mostly aromatic solvent or old technology deposit control additives, Chevron Techron® Concentrate contains a high level of polyetheramine and has had its formulation changed several times since its introduction in 1982 to keep abreast of the latest additive technology.

Chevron Techron® Concentrate cleans fuel injectors, carburetors, intake ports and valves, and combustion chambers to help restore lost power and performance caused by harmful deposit buildup in gasoline engines. Even though current conventional and reformulated gasolines contain deposit control additives, there still is a need by vehicle owners and mechanics for Chevron Techron® Concentrate.

More here

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used GM's Top Engine Cleaner. Spray it in and choke with motor with it, let it sit overnight and then let it burn it all off the following morning. I know for a fact it works, because I used to get detonation from carbon hot spots on my pistons and after I used it the detonation was gone.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clean the carbon out of my car by doing several wide-open-throttle runs on the Interstate.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the chemicals, water works better than anything else I've tried. If you take a spray bottle and spray water into the intake while holding the RPMs at 2000, the water will soften up carbon deposits, then you take it on a good freeway run and burn everything off. This also burns carbon off the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters as confirmed by tail pipe emissions after doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery