what could cause a difference in height from R side to L side?

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got doing the muffler delete on the car - thanks to everyone that shared photos on how to - LOVE THE SOUND!!!

When trying to align the pipes, I had to look at the car from behing about 1,000 times. The pipes are perfectly aligned, however, I did notice that one side of the car 'seemed higher than the other...when I got home I meassured it and in fact, one side is 3mm. higher than the other...on the front and on the back...

This is my first Viper...but I surely would not think this is the way they are. Why would cause the passenger side to sit up slightly higher...?

Any feedback is appreciated.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen and heard, about half of the Vipers out there have that issue, including mine. Can't say what it is that causes it, but its pretty annoying. I'm considering adding a lowering cup on the rear passenger side to try and correct it.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen and heard, about half of the Vipers out there have that issue, including mine. Can't say what it is that causes it, but its pretty annoying. I'm considering adding a lowering cup on the rear passenger side to try and correct it.

interesting - thanks for sharing - and yes, I hope this is not going to annoy the crap out of me but I have the feeling it will eventually get the best of me...grrrr.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you made sure that tire pressure is the same on all four corners.

Bruce

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I got home I meassured it and in fact, one side is 3mm. higher than the other...on the front and on the back...

This is my first Viper...but I surely would not think this is the way they are. Why would cause the passenger side to sit up slightly higher...?

Any feedback is appreciated.

3 mm , about the thickness of two pennies ? That's about 0.1 degrees off of perfect. I'm about 5 degrees off according to my friends and family; so, that doesn't seem too bad to me.

I wouldn't be surprised that it is due to how the suspension has settled with the car being driven with just driver side weight in it over the years.

I suggest putting a number of bags of concrete mix in the passenger seat equivalent to the drivers weight. You probably should invest in a 6-point harness to hold that stuff in place !!!! :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to fix it and improve things simultaneously, find someone with corner weight scales.

From playing with my adjustable ride height shocks, I know that a 50lb difference between the front wheels will cause one to lock up significantly sooner than the other. Before you go making the car "look" right, you should make sure it doesn't make braking worse.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is lower on the driver side, like many others have indicated. Honestly, if you can notice it just from looking, it's more than 3mm. I'd say mine is a good 1/2" (12.5mm for the metric folk).

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is lower on the driver side, like many others have indicated. Honestly, if you can notice it just from looking, it's more than 3mm. I'd say mine is a good 1/2" (12.5mm for the metric folk).

I have actually meassured it...it IS 3mm...and of course it is noticeable...but here is the kicker...the DRIVER's side is HIGHER...so I guess with my 175 lb. ass on the car, maybe I should have someone measure it and see if it evens out...

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Date fat chicks. Problem solved. Come to the buffet at Golden Corral here in Texas if you need an assortment.

:eater:

:rolaugh:

Since the driver's side is higher, maybe the previous owner has been taking "hefty" girls out for spins... :omg:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the alignment procedure.. equal weights.. the engine is shifted slightly more on the passenger side as it is on most RWD cars.. but there is some more weight on the drivers side, the steering wheel column / components, pedals, master cylinder, battery, starter, etc.. which could weigh the car down slightly more on the drivers side..

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
R

RTED

Switch over to side exhaust and your problem is solved.......can't look at both sides at once.....LOL! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the alignment procedure.. equal weights.. the engine is shifted slightly more on the passenger side as it is on most RWD cars.. but there is some more weight on the drivers side, the steering wheel column / components, pedals, master cylinder, battery, starter, etc.. which could weigh the car down slightly more on the drivers side..

interesting...if I am reading this right, the "height" of the vehicle is adjustable then...?

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
love the technical term.."Ballast Weight" lol

aka, toss all the crap you have in your garage, including sandbags and wife in there.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top bushings that hold rear end to the frame can have far more than 3 mm play. The car can also settle in the bushing, therefore, it can be a variable.

Reaction score
Are you measuring the difference at the frame between the rear wheels? This is the only true place to check as the body panels and even the rear fascia can be slightly off from manufacturing. The difference you see could possibly be just that. Measure the frame height then you will know what needs to be adjusted more.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you measuring the difference at the frame between the rear wheels? This is the only true place to check as the body panels and even the rear fascia can be slightly off from manufacturing. The difference you see could possibly be just that. Measure the frame height then you will know what needs to be adjusted more.

good point - I am meassuring from the ground to the top of the rear fender right above the wheel on all 4 corners...

D

DAMN YANKEE

If you can wait until late October and find your way up North, Chuck has his annual "Performance Leveling." You might have to contact him though because 3mm may require you wait until the spring, that is ALOT of material to have to contend with. We all basically go in for this event as it drives us nuts when we put on our winter coats and the whole rig goes out of whack.

This '07 shot shows why Chuck likes to handle the "chute" work himself. ITs not just a matter of skill and experience, but attitude. He is a perfectionist, he'll take up to five or ten minutes per car. Rob justs likes to clean off the bugs with his headlight lense stick and put on the "I Love OBAMA BIN BIDEN" bumper stickers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62