What do I need to make my lights brighter?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be putting dark film on the headlights (I know its illegal), and I understand that I will loose some of the headlight brightness. Hence, I was wondering if I can counter film darkness with the brighter light bulb? I already run HID in my fog lights and since the low beam lights are HID as well, I was wondering if it is possible to change light bulbs in those units for a brighter bulb? Sorry if it does not make any sense, I just never dealt with HID before, and not sure how they work.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest way is to NOT put film on the headlights - putting a 55 watt HID will probably melt the housing AND the film.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest way is to NOT put film on the headlights - putting a 55 watt HID will probably melt the housing AND the film.

Putting a 55watt HID will NOT melt the housing, please do a little more research.

HID's run cooler then standard halogen bulbs first off. Most headlight halogens run at 55w up to over 100w and generate a lot more heat.

In your SRT setup I am willing to bet stock is 35watt. 55 watt will run slightly hotter, but nothing significant enough to "melt" your housings or do any damage.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hook up your HID fogs to a switch wired right to the battery. This way you can drive with your brights on and your HID fogs still on (instead of having them turn off when your brights come on) . This combination of HID headlights, HID fogs, and brights is brighter than my hummer's offroad lights which has 6 HIDs.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hook up your HID fogs to a switch wired right to the battery. This way you can drive with your brights on and your HID fogs still on (instead of having them turn off when your brights come on) . This combination of HID headlights, HID fogs, and brights is brighter than my hummer's offroad lights which has 6 HIDs.

Dam good idea...

thanks..:2tu:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to upgrade the wattage you have to have different ballasts. Your oem ballasts are designed for oem wattage, you need to find what that is first. Then you need to look for a kit, not just bulbs. I have been dealing with one company for over 3 years now and have had zero issues with them and everyone I have recommended them to. They tried to get on here as a sponsor and said they never got any information back so it is what it is. Pricing is roughly 160 a set for slim ballasts and what ever color temp you want.

(they are described by color temp and not watts because most people buy hids to get the color out of the headlights and not to actually illuminate the road better)

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to upgrade the wattage you have to have different ballasts. Your oem ballasts are designed for oem wattage, you need to find what that is first. Then you need to look for a kit, not just bulbs. I have been dealing with one company for over 3 years now and have had zero issues with them and everyone I have recommended them to. They tried to get on here as a sponsor and said they never got any information back so it is what it is. Pricing is roughly 160 a set for slim ballasts and what ever color temp you want.

(they are described by color temp and not watts because most people buy hids to get the color out of the headlights and not to actually illuminate the road better)

Wait a minute, I thought in your previous post you said it is safe to simply change the light bulb to 55W. Did I read it wrong? Can you send me PM with the company info you are talking about?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a minute, I thought in your previous post you said it is safe to simply change the light bulb to 55W. Did I read it wrong? Can you send me PM with the company info you are talking about?

For heat purposes it is safe to put a 55 watt bulb in your headlight housing :). For voltage purposes a 5t 5watt HID bulb require a 55 watt HID ballast. A 55 watt bulb will not work with a 35 watt ballast. This is all pending on what the stock Viper ballasts are rated it as well, if they are already 55watt, then changing the bulb will not help. Most oem ballasts are 35 watt or less though.

V

Venomiss

Stick your finger in the socket? That will make everything brighter.
Heck stick some other peoples fingers in the socket to test it. I can think of one individual.:D

Just a little humor for the holiday. I couldn't resist.

Please let others know what actually worked for you on this idea.
My question is can they give you a ticket for those covers in California if stopped?

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick your finger in the socket? That will make everything brighter.
Heck stick some other peoples fingers in the socket to test it. I can think of one individual.:D

Just a little humor for the holiday. I couldn't resist.

Please let others know what actually worked for you on this idea.
My question is can they give you a ticket for those covers in California if stopped?

Yes, I am sure Cops can give me a ticket for the headlights covered if he had a bad day or need to get his quota for the month, but it is a fix it ticket. They can also give me a ticket for the tinted windows, yet, there are tons of cars driving around bay area with the driver side tinted windows.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I will assure you, if you put hid's in your foglights and drive with them on you will most definitely be ticketed along with blinding others and potentially causing an accident.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We're not aware of them trying to become a sponsor, can you find out who said that so I can contact them?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not aware of them trying to become a sponsor, can you find out who said that so I can contact them?

I will PM you the info. I use to be a part of scionlife.com because of my old car and he was a sponsor over there. I bought another kit for my viper and told him he should have become a sponsor here so he tried and after I waited for a while to see him up here I wrote him and he said he was not able to get through. The guy has great pricing and stands behind his product fully. The best part, overnight shipping is included in the price.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing I will assure you, if you put hid's in your foglights and drive with them on you will most definitely be ticketed along with blinding others and potentially causing an accident.

I would seriously have to disagree. I've driven with them for years and being so low in the viper I dont think it bothers anybody. (I'm ovbiously not talking about with the brights on also, as brights are only for when nobody else is around.) I have been flashed in my hummer but thats a whole different story.

I dont think I've ever been flashed in the viper. I dont think a cop would even know that the car didnt come that way. It is much safer for us as a driver of a high speed car to have HID fog lights as you need to see as much of the road as possible. Theres probably nobody on this board thats been ticketed for having HID fog lights in a viper...

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will PM you the info. I use to be a part of scionlife.com because of my old car and he was a sponsor over there. I bought another kit for my viper and told him he should have become a sponsor here so he tried and after I waited for a while to see him up here I wrote him and he said he was not able to get through. The guy has great pricing and stands behind his product fully. The best part, overnight shipping is included in the price.

That's great, thanks. But let me point out that possibly he simply TOLD you he tried, there's always a motive for saying that as the guy does not have to spend any money that way. :smirk: We have had that happen before.

So, who ya gonna believe, that guy that says "Show me the money" Or the guy that says "That's a shame I can't get through, I really wanted to spend some more money on ads." :rolaugh:
When somone offers us money you can believe we will take it. And we are easy to find in multiple ways, the easiest being hit the contact the board button. That happens at least once a week.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, cops would know. The only car to date off the top of my head to come with an HID bulb without Projector lenses are certain models of Mercedes. (You can check my fact but I know there are not many of them)

If you notice 99 percent of vehicles with factory HID's use them in conjunction with a projector lens to control the light output. Inside the projector lens there is a piece of metal that actually shields half of the light from leaving the lens and creates what is called the "cutoff" preventing you from blinding oncoming drivers.

Fog lights are an open bulb system with the exception of a few Lexus models and BMW models. Being that it is a reflector based housing the light is not controlled in any fashion and is able shine freely in all directions. It's not a matter of vehicle height when it comes to foglight HID's.

Also just because no one has been ticketed doesn't make it right. I just hope your not on the receiving end of the accident when you blind someone on the other side of the road. It bothers me enough when the Honda's and Acura's install them improperly let alone a fully open lens like a Viper fog light.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, there is always a motive. As I said, this was a very long time ago I tried to bring him over as a sponsor. Was right after I picked up my old Viper so it had to be around 2007. I don't have the exact details but I have recontacted him and will put you in contact with him to get him over here. I don't promote bad products and I am the first to slam someone for selling something crappy. Fortunately with all the knowledge on this forum I have been steered away from buying crap products.

That's great, thanks. But let me point out that possibly he simply TOLD you he tried, there's always a motive for saying that as the guy does not have to spend any money that way. :smirk: We have had that happen before.

So, who ya gonna believe, that guy that says "Show me the money" Or the guy that says "That's a shame I can't get through, I really wanted to spend some more money on ads." :rolaugh:
When somone offers us money you can believe we will take it. And we are easy to find in multiple ways, the easiest being hit the contact the board button. That happens at least once a week.