What do ya think?

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is: Lease it or buy it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure, I'd like you to say: "Lease that '01 yellow RT10." What you're probably thinkin' is:

1. You won't be able to do any mods 'cause you're turnin' in the car after 36 months.

2. Your lease will end and you'll have zero equity.

3. No fun leasing 'cause the car's not really yours.

Here's the way I see it: (and please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Lease payments on these cars are outrageously high because no finance company will touch 'em. For the creditor, it's a crapshoot leasing the Viper. They have no idea what the car's going to look like after 36 months. Pampered? Abused? So what do they do? As a safeguard, they take huge "front money" over the lease period as collatoral. They'll tell you the car's worth say 35K at the end of the lease when infact it's worth 45K.(assuming the car hasn't been pounded on) Come lease end, you'd be crazy turning in the car. Sell it. Pay of the creditor and pocket the difference. This appears to be the reality of leasing this vehicle. If you know otherwise......PLEASE LET ME KNOW....because I'm seriouly considering the lease route. - Hey, I realize that every person's situation is different. But seriously, and in all modesty: What if you were receiving an OVERLY GENEROUS CAR ALLOWANCE from the firm you're with. What would you do? Go out an BUY a new RT10 lose the company beni!!! Why?

Marc in Boca Raton

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a lease and $ for $ net it worked out the same as a purchase. When I did the deal I thought the lease would yield a much bigger benefit tax wise until I found out you get screwed on state taxes in Texas with the lease. (I have a company that leases lots of vehicles and equipment). Maybe you could get your company to classify the car allowance as a lease payment to you, then you could take depreciation
You must be registered for see images

(WARNING: This post sure to get disputed and/or flamed by CPA's)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant