What do you guys want to see in 08?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is damn perfect the way it is. I would like to see Dc make it more into an exotic race car by adding more down force in the roadster, making it at least 100 lbs lighter or even better 200 lbs, 650 hp min or better yet supercharge it from the factory, make a real built in roll cage, and use real racing seats and harnesses. Who needs creature comforts? Lets make a street leagle race car that can blow the doors off anything on the road. Price it just below $100,000.00 and it will sell like hot cakes.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see a Viper back on top. Just like it was back in 92 when it first came out and there was nothing that could touch it.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Germans have a history of leaning on the French. Why stop now?

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMG style paddle shift AS AN OPTION. Did I say "AS AN "OPTION"? Yes. An Option. OP-SHUN. OP-SHEE-UN. Pay a couple G's more OP-SHEE-UN Paddle Shift, no more clutch pedal mess but still manual shifting OP-SHEE-UN Paddle Shift-un. Diamler has the technology through F1, ect. and Chrysler has it through the ME-12. Just an option of F1 paddle shift . . . is that so scary???

Outside of NAStyCAR old school, it is becoming more and more common in racing.

Not a horrible thing if it is just an OPTION is it???

It's just an OPTION, okay??? Jeez.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Really? Name them. Let's see how much you actually know about racing. List the racing organizations and the cars within them that run paddle shifters. Hint: Google.

We've had this discussion before. It will always perplex me as to why some folks bought a car that has none of those candyazz features every other car in it's class has. Maybe they just like the Viper's particular shade of red so much that they had to have one.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Really? Name them. Let's see how much you actually know about racing. List the racing organizations and the cars within them that run paddle shifters. Hint: Google.

We've had this discussion before. It will always perplex me as to why some folks bought a car that has none of those candyazz features every other car in it's class has. Maybe they just like the Viper's particular shade of red so much that they had to have one.

Totally agree with you. I am not even going to waste cyberspace listing the reasons we all know why a viper should never come with paddle shifts, or 4 wheels drive, or an automatic.

:nono:

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1087gtsrconcept2.jpg

1087gtsrconcept3.jpg

PERFECT ! With 700 HP, that's the only thing, up to now, for which I will think of upgrading my 96... :p

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topawam,

That looks so good I'm wondering how many would pay 95K or so for it if DC would build this for the street. If I could afford it, I would consider getting this without cruise control!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMG style paddle shift AS AN OPTION. Did I say "AS AN "OPTION"? Yes. An Option. OP-SHUN. OP-SHEE-UN. Pay a couple G's more OP-SHEE-UN Paddle Shift, no more clutch pedal mess but still manual shifting OP-SHEE-UN Paddle Shift-un. Diamler has the technology through F1, ect. and Chrysler has it through the ME-12. Just an option of F1 paddle shift . . . is that so scary???

Not a horrible thing if it is just an OPTION is it???

It's just an OPTION, okay??? Jeez.
OP-SHEEUNS costs money to research, fit and test... money that could be better used for more carbon fiber, cutting edge designers, and HPs. You want OP-SHEEUNS? Buy a Viper stock and pay some Vipertech God 20-30k to retrofit paddles for you. There's already great aftermarket traction control, cruise control and cupholders available. Get your paddle shifters on your own dime... don't waste mine. :rolleyes:

Geez... this is like asking BMW to make a no-nonsense car with no iDrive, traction control, and cupholders. It would never happen because BMW knows what their cars are about. You obviously don't.

xanadu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I offered my opinion, knowing that most (here at least) would disagree. However, the question was open-ended to any responders.

As far as racing with these transmissions go, it would be F1, WRC, German Touring Car, ALMS, Champ Car, Rolex Series, WTCC, FIA GT (1 & 2), LeMans (all divisions), British Touring Car, Grand Am (?) & IRL (?). Not all cars competing here are using sequential gearboxes, but a great number are. I guess lucky for them, it's an open option.

I'm not a mechnical engineer, and I know that R & D is inevitable, but there has been 2 European teams which have outfitted their Vipers with SMG transmissions with success. Also, I would think the best solution for DC, if it were contemplated, would to be to outsource the job to the likes of Xtrac, who has had huge successes in this arena already.

I think many of you may not be against SMG itself, but maybe just feel like adding it as an option would take away from the pureness of what the Viper has always been, making it less mechanico and more techno. This was the very same feeling that long time Ferrari owners had as well. Those who had owned many Ferrari's prior to the mid 90's were enraged by this new type of shifting being offered by Ferrari in its cars.

Now, 10 plus years later, buyers still have the option of chosing the transmission of their liking and those enraged multi-Ferrari owners now realize that being so against it before was really kind of silly.

It didn't take anything away from the Ferrari mystique, it just gave a different option to a broader group of people. The Viper would still be a Viper, but with an optional transmission for your choosing.

What about a SMG gearbox with a floor mounted stick shifter as an OPTION?

ps, I've read that VW has a SMG type system for the Golf called DSG (?) that's supposely outragous performing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xanadu, I gotta give you credit. You could have stooped to the level of the rest of us and thrashed back, but you hung in there with class. :2tu:

That being said, the answer is still "NO" to your ***** paddle shifter option. :)

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll see your 95k and raise you 5k for it... :cool:

You must be registered for see images

That's the pic with the covers for the fog lights ... where does somone get those?

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1087gtsrconcept2.jpg

1087gtsrconcept3.jpg

Build this, make it a little lighter, offer it with a couple of performance levels. Keep one level at 500hp (so the wind breakers don't wrap themselves around a lightpole), and the big dog package at 700 or so.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about paddle shifters; cruise controls on steering wheel spoke; radio controls on the other spoke; a/c controls within easy reach of steering wheel; headlamps that come on automatically; electric seats; heated seats; and....oh crap, f me! :eek: Sorry wrong forum.
Larry (not the real one) :bonker:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
xanadu, I gotta give you credit. You could have stooped to the level of the rest of us and thrashed back, but you hung in there with class. :2tu:

That being said, the answer is still "NO" to your ***** paddle shifter option. :)

LOL! funny stuff... :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see:
guards for the side sills working in with the front diffuser for functioning ground effects.
height adjustable seats.
telescopic steering wheel.
Quaife differential.
better shielding to keep the heat out of the cockpit.
shorter, blue printed Hurst shifter.
More HP is fine, but I’d rather have ways of getting what we have to the ground. Maybe all wheel drive.
manual trunk release.

Personally:
high quality cloth seats over leather. Leathers to hot for me and cloth could even save on weight.
More beautiful exterior color choices.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More horsepower with higher RPM limit
higher gearing
lower stance
Structural roll hoops
Higher quality sound system

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader, I think people have not stressed enough the STRUCTURAL ROLL HOOPS.

Why would we want a 650hp beast that in the event of a rollover will decapitate us??

I think that should be priority #1 in everyone's list.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Higher gearing?

3.07 is high enough for me. Don't go Mercedes high!

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1) A real rollbar and No Run-Craps

2) Quaife differential

3) Dry Sump engine

4) Only on damm cat per exhaust

5) Rear exhaust

6) Motons Stock

7) Less Weight

8) More Power

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people have not stressed enough the STRUCTURAL ROLL HOOPS.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)