Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a GREAT day cruising today. The Cruise Paradise
tour started today with a really nice car show, about
250-300 hot rods and classics from here, the neighbor
islands and several from the mainland. But I ran into
something that I had never anticipated. I was asked probably
20 times today by total strangers how much much I paid for my car. One how fast does it go, no what size motor, one can
I have a ride, and 20 how much did you pay for this ?
Is this common ? What do you tell them, MYOB ? It struck
me as quite rude.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is, without a doubt, the most common question. I think that people are being genuinely curious and not intentionally rude. If I were to come across a Diablo I would admire it and think (to myself), "I wonder what he/she paid for that awesome machine?" Some people are just more at ease asking that question than others, even though it can be considered rude at times.

Anyway, I always smile and tell them that new Vipers go for "around $75,000 plus a Hyundai for the government" (taxes). They are satisfied with that answer 99.9% of the time. I also carry a supply of Bill Pemberton's business cards ( Woodhouse Dodge ) in case they are interested in finding out more. I don't think they are trying to measure my personal wealth (thankfully), but are simply curious about what an exotic car sells for. Many are seeing a Viper up close for the very first time in their lives. I have no problem with that.

Chris

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have that happen all the time too!!!
Yesterday i guy asked if it cost $200,000
I answered no; under $100,000 his reply was for all that performance it should have cost $200,000.

In general, when asked i just say 80k with taxes and most are like oh, okay just curious. Some people just have to ask because here in the Buffalo NY area this is something they only have seen at the autoshow...

p.s. drove my first Viper on Oahu 6 years ago; a 95 yellow rt/10
and now I own a 2001 yellow rt/10 how ironic...WE LOVE HAWAII!!!

Mahalow,
JIM

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This has bugged me since 1993.........

"It was a gift"
"Less than my Lotus"
"Ask your Friendly Dodge dealer"
"Half a Ferrari"
"Same as 4 Neons"
"Do you work for the IRS?"
"I dont know you well enough"

and my favorite:

****Price = HP multiplied by the Top Speed.****
{ try it....right up there with my Wax Dyno fore acuracy! }
This usually gets them at least THINKING about performance!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me when they ask what it cost. I tell them about 80k and make sure to take a shot at the government for extorting their "fair share."

Appox.
$3,500 lux tax
$3,000 gas guzzler tax
$5,000 sales tax

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always say that you can get one for 40k$ used but they are about 75k new. What about HP! Every one I talk to who knows little about cars seems to think they have 800HP. I always feel a little crest fallen when I have to say "only about 480".

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well, justanotherViper quirk I guess.
I wonder how many others bought their car after renting
one ? I didn't, but I seem to hear about it once in a
while.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i'm driving a 95 or older i tell them i won the car thru the McDonalds Monopoly game and all i had to do was pay the taxes. If i'm driving a 96 or newer i just tell them that my wife loves me very much, and i got it as a christmas gift.
both answers get me off the hook for the question of "how much did it cost"?

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time my response is ENOUGH.
If they are pleasant I tell them what a new one would cost.
Real motorheads already know and don't ask.
Have patience.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shouldn't bother anyone to tell someone how much you pay for something, it's no secret. Although I just sold my Ferrari, a 2000 360 Modina I did feel uncomfortable because of the price. People would say " that's as much as a lot of peoples homes ". So now I am back to a Viper # 4 and I have a lot more fun for 1/2 the price.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my short time of ownership, I've already had THE QUESTION, made me think about it as well. (In fact, people at work checked some of the big car websites for prices to guess at what I had paid?!) I thought about saying some outrageous figure just for the effect...

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually tell them it's a little more than a fully loaded Suburban. Some of those SUV's get so expensive, the Viper doesn't seem so costly.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Answers,
I always say, new ones around $75000.
Used ones, very greatly, go on the internet and find the one you want to buy (even though most do not want to buy). You can also get ALL the specs.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Robert!
Good to see that you got the '94 on the road at last! I usually don't ever tell how much I paid, just say it cost less than a new Corvette! ( for a used Viper), and like everybody else, will usually say a new one goes for about 75K. Whken they ask about the tubes in the headlight compartment, I usually say that those are factory installed lasers for slow moving traffic ahead! Most people do want to know about what they go for, and the answers above and less than a new Vette are usually satisfactory answers! Enjoy your Viper. We will be out to the Big Island next January or February in Kona for a week, will give you a shout before we go.