What does it really cost to get 1000 rwhp / 1000 rwtq

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: how to get to 1000rwhp w/ a SC:

I spent over $25K on parts (still have the spread sheet somewhere) and did all the work myself. This did not include the Paxton which I had installed a year earlier. It is not as easy as you think. You are going where only a few have gone and to get all the different parts to work together is tricky. Obviously the tuners charge more but they earn it. If asked, I would advise everyone to have a tuner do it, unless you just love working on car, I do!! My best advice would be to go with the basic Paxton and leave it. It is very reliable and very drivable and very fast. My reliability went way down after my HP upgrade. You won’t quite have the bragging rights but you will be on the road when the bragger is not. If you do it don’t do it on the cheap, you will spend a ton of money and have one big headache. Do it right and go to a tuner unless you are a good mechanic and good with PC’s.

The only thing I would add to JD’s list is new fuel system, injectors, pump etc. and I did not change the tranny, but I should have because it let go a couple of months after the HP upgrade. Heat was the other thing I did not address till later, had to go back and deal with that.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: how to get to 1000rwhp w/ a SC:

I believe 25k... but that sho is' a lotta money.

Let's itemize:

SC kit: 8k
heads: 3k
vec2 : 1k
headers: 1k (used)
fuel system (4k, rounded up)
cam - 200
pistons - 1200
gaskets - 500
misc extras - i guess we can be at 25k pretty darn fast.

optionals:
clutch - 500
tranny - 2k
roll bar - 1200 (I think)
new underwear - $12
installation and tuning - varies

yeah... that stuff adds up!

The "threshold" is the ~750hp mark. stock fuel system can manage under 750hp... so just a SC w/o changing anything else will get you here. but when you want to push over the 700-750 mark, the price tag goes _way_ up.

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the time to get into the difficulties of fabing a TT Setup for a Viper, and there are much more qualified people to explain.
But it sure isn't-Toss In This and Toss In that! :D

That's why there are only a couple tuners who do it right!

I installed much of a turbo setup on a buddies 03 cobra. It more or less was, toss in this and toss in that, only the things tossed in were custom made. A few of them custom made by us. I think between your answer and jpas's answer, the reason it costs so much is that the kits are high quality custom kits, with a little viper tax added on top since only a couple tuners actually put forth the time to do it for such a limited production car.

Racing Solutions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price on some of our packages are not affordable for some people.We are both Precision and ATP Turbo Dealers. We offer a wide variety of Turbos and turbo parts as well as Header Flanges, tubing, silicone hose, intercoolers,Wastegates,blowoff valves, fuel systems, fittings, injectors, fuel pumps. We also offer Custom pistons (JE,Wiseco,CP), a Varity of Connecting rods for either stroker or direct replacment (H-Beam good up to 1300 flywheel) that have the same journal and length (6.220)as well as bushed for a .927 piston pin, Valves, Springs, Camshafts,Main Caps,Main Studs, Head studs, etc. So if anyone needs the parts to build an efficent system we do offer them.

Jason
Racing Solutions
[email protected]
281-752-9600

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The price on some of our packages are not affordable for some people.We are both Precision and ATP Turbo Dealers. We offer a wide variety of Turbos and turbo parts as well as Header Flanges, tubing, silicone hose, intercoolers,Wastegates,blowoff valves, fuel systems, fittings, injectors, fuel pumps. We also offer Custom pistons (JE,Wiseco,CP), a Varity of Connecting rods for either stroker or direct replacment (H-Beam good up to 1300 flywheel) that have the same journal and length (6.220)as well as bushed for a .927 piston pin, Valves, Springs, Camshafts,Main Caps,Main Studs, Head studs, etc. So if anyone needs the parts to build an efficent system we do offer them.

Jason
Racing Solutions
[email protected]
281-752-9600

It is good to know you offer all of these components, I will be in need of some V10 flanges, pistons, rods, CAM, studs, mains, valve springs....

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the rsi tt 1500 package that there was a post on has a price of $90,000 usd I think I would just get another viper instead lol :eek:

I think that they are the best bang for the buck. (for turbo tuners)

vd..

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hugh Hoard gets over 1000 hp from his twin supercharged/NOS system put together by Dan Cragin at DC Performance.

He set the fastest time at VOI @ 10.4 first time out. Car and Driver both have lots of potential, but it was a very hot day with a poorly prepared track.
Most stock Vipers were running 13's.

If you are looking at Value, I would agree with others that the standard Paxton system gives incredible power for under $10k. Going for more power that that costs big bucks.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hugh Hoard gets over 1000 hp from his twin supercharged/NOS system put together by Dan Cragin at DC Performance.

He set the fastest time at VOI @ 10.4 first time out. Car and Driver both have lots of potential, but it was a very hot day with a poorly prepared track.
Most stock Vipers were running 13's.

If you are looking at Value, I would agree with others that the standard Paxton system gives incredible power for under $10k. Going for more power that that costs big bucks.

I think that I read somewhere it takes about 90 hp to run a hi-hp blower. I can't imagine the extra load or psi needed to run 2 of those bad boys and still make 1000 rwhp.

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ViperGMC is right on.

You can get to 1000 hp with a Paxton and a whole bunch of money, but the stock Paxton kit is very hard to beat for money. Most of us should just stay there.

After you've had your engine rebuilt with forged pistons and rods and bigger heads and cam and exhaust, etc., you get to add things like a custom fuel system with 3 pumps, return lines, fuel regulators and modded fuel modules, tons of extra heat to deal with, tuning, trans rebuild, stronger 1/2 shafts, quaife diff, larger injectors and an AEM or other computer to run it all. You should upgrade your oil cooler and your intercooler. Then throw in the new tires and wheels to get it to the ground. Lots of dough. I'd guess 55-65 K to do it right.

And as ViperGMC says, you loose a bunch of "dependability". So why did ViperGMC and I do this? Not sure, but when she runs right, hang on, the rush is huge!

Hugh has likely got over 100k in his car. Features like an auto (drag) trans, 500 shot of nitrous with 2 stages plumbed to each cylinder, quaife diff, 1000 hp half shafts, slicks, skinnines, roll bar, etc. etc. It was fun to watch him run that 10.02 at VOI on a poorly prepared track.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperGMC is right on.

You can get to 1000 hp with a Paxton and a whole bunch of money, but the stock Paxton kit is very hard to beat for money. Most of us should just stay there.

Agree.

If you want to control the Viper and enjoy some more power, stick with the stock Paxton setup. Only thing I would add to stock Paxton setup would be a nice dyno tune and exhaust system (no headers). The stock cats can’t handle the Paxton.

If you want Viper to control and dictate your life (seriously) and acknowledge the big HP mod addiction, join the dark side.

The list of stock parts on my car now would be 7 pages less than the aftermarket mod parts list. :D