What does NACA in NACA Duct stand for???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot about Vipers but do not know what that abbreviation stands for...Im sure there will be a few wise asses on this one...AL... :D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The NACA duct or NACA scoop is a common form of low-drag intake design, orginally developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics in 1945. When properly implemented, it allows fluid to be drawn into an internal duct, often for cooling purposes, with a minimal disturbance to the flow. The design was originally called a "submerged inlet," since it consists of a shallow ramp with curved walls recessed into the exposed surface of a streamlined body, such as an airplane or race car.

The design is believed to work because the combination of the gentle ramp angle and the curvature profile of the walls creates counter-rotating vortices which **** in the boundary layer while avoiding the form drag and flow separation that can occur with protruding inlet designs. However, this type of flush inlet generally cannot achieve the larger ram pressures and flow volumes of an external design, and so is rarely used for the jet engine intake application for which it was originally designed.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now youre ready for when they come out with Trival Pursuit Viper Edition. Im still dying to know how the term "Sneaky Pete" came into existence.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figured out some acronyms around here but I'm still wondering if "ASP" is an acronym or just a way of saying "a s s" on a license plate ;)

Santo

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:eek: I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Unfortunately for me... I was serious. I'm in the computer field and I've become pretty good at deciphering acronyms that are thrown around during normal conversation at work. It just looked like an acronym (never heard of an asp) and I was pretty much stumped :) I thought NACA was North American Car Assoociation :eek:

Santo

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Y'all got it wrong- "NACA" started out as a typo, what was meant was "NADA", because thats how much advantage it provides!

yuk-yuk.....

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ASP = Active Server Pages.

Or...yeah, it's a type of snake (pit viper).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek: I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Unfortunately for me... I was serious. I'm in the computer field and I've become pretty good at deciphering acronyms that are thrown around during normal conversation at work. It just looked like an acronym (never heard of an asp) and I was pretty much stumped :) I thought NACA was North American Car Assoociation :eek:

Santo

...I don't ever want to hear from canadians how their educational system is better than ours! :D

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asp is the modern/anglicized form of aspis. In antiquity the name refers to a venomous snake of Egypt from the Nile delta region and generally assumed to refer to the Egyptian cobra.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte