What does this broken red wire do?

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a photo of the wire harness that runs from forward-most part of the driver's side door into the body of the car. As I hope you can see, the harness cover has broken, exposing the wires, and one (red) wire is broken.

Nothing that would be controlled by the door latch is malfunctioning -- all fine.

This could be a speaker wire -- right now my stereo is not connected so I cannot tell if this wire controls the speaker in the driver's-side door.

Does anybody know?

Thanks,
Jay Riddle
'94 R/T 10, Red
98,300 miles

P.S. First time posting a photo -- had to shrink it considerably to meet the published size limitations. I hope the wires are visible.

OP
OP
J

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, the photo didn't make it....trying again...

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 141

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jay,
Hard to tell from the picture, but it sounds like you're on the money with the speaker wire if the door popper is working.

Your jpg file can be upto 97K, almost 4 times larger byte-wise than the one you attached. You might try again, or put the full size picture up on a photo hosting site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and then link to it here.

See this thread for helpful info on managing pictures in the forums:

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/601041-new-forum-posting-pics-threads.html

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my 94 ripped apart many times and just can't think of anything inside the door that would be anything to worry about. So there's a tweeter in there and I maybe the alarm wires, to detect when a door is opened (but even those would not be "inside" the door... but more than likely in the cabin area).... Hmmmm... can't think of anything else. If you can post a larger picture, that would be good. Otherwise, if your car is running fine and your door opens, then you are good to go! I'll try and think of anything that can be effected, but try and get some better pics posted up. I don't have a 94' anymore to go by.

*edit*... actually, I guess there is a mid range speaker in there too, along with the tweeter, so it should only be a speaker wire busted. Nothing else is in the door that has a need for a wire. It should be ok, until it comes time to get a radio installed. Then it needs to be looked at.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked in the '94 service manual. The electrical section shows one bundle of wires going through the accordian rubber. They all terminate to a 6-wire blue plastic plug just inside the cabin (above driver left knee.) None of the wires are listed as red :( and if I zoom, the broken wire doesn't look red, either?

X85 18LG/DG* {18 gauge wire Light Green with Dark Green stripe} speaker ground to right rear amp in trunk
Z1 18BK {18 ga black} ground
M10 18 PK/BK {18 ga pink with black stripe} to passive restraint relay
X87 18LG/VT* {18 ga light green wire with violet stripe} speaker feed to right rear amp in trunk
G16 20BK/LB* {20 ga black with light blue stripe} ground to headlight switch
M2 18YL (18 ga yellow} ground to headlight switch

Reference: 1994 manual page 8W-58 and 8W-64

I think the connection to the headlight switch is for the dome light (under the mirror) and the headlight on reminder ding-****. The passive restraint relay is likely the red seatbelt reminder light in the dash.

Don't take this as gospel; often the '94 manual describes things like rear exhaust or door latch switches as if they were always there.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I know is, this very same red wire broke on one of previous GTS's, and the door popper did NOT work... When I pulled the rubber cover off, the red wire was broke, along with the speaker wires.. Very common GenI/II problem.

The red wire gave power to the door popper.. My next guess would be the mirror, but Gen1's have no power. hmmm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi