What is the 'heavyweight' engine?

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the \'heavyweight\' engine?

I received my Mopar Performance Race Rocker Arm Assembly P/N P5007049 today and verified that they really are from T&D Machine Products in Carson City, Nevada. The Mopar installation instructions state the following:

"This kit will not fit 1996 and earlier Viper RT/10s with the 'heavyweight' engine."

Does anyone know what is meant by this "heavyweight" reference and how one tells if they have the "heavyweight"? From this reference, I might infer that all 1996 RT/10's use the "heavyweight" engine. Insight anyone?

OP
OP
F

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What is the \'heavyweight\' engine?

Thanks for the link. I ran across that data prior to my purchase and asked about it on this board. These should work for my car based upon info from Doug Levin in the following thread:

Link to 1.7 Roller Rockers Thread

According to the T&D website, T&D makes two different assemblies for Viper engines; P/N 8030 for aluminum V-10 heads and P/N 8035 for iron V-10 heads. I was thinking that maybe the cast iron heads were on the 'heavyweight' engine...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought there was a thread a little while back that said these rockers would fit the earlier engines? This came from a tuner who did the installs. Anybody know for sure?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Phil,
did you put them on yet? If so, did they add power? If you don't mind saying, what did you get them for?

Mike

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Phil...If they won't work for you, sell them to me!
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
F

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I inquired directly to T&D and was confirmed by their tech that these roller rockers will indeed work for my '96 RT/10. I got these off of Ebay for $730 plus shipping (Another identical set went for $810 last night). They are new and arrived in an unopened Mopar box. I am in the process of gathering all parts to be installed during the long New Hampster winter, so I won't have any numbers until the spring.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would think the heavyweight engine is the pick up truck cast iron engine. I thought all the Viper engines (at lteast the heads)were AL from the begining in'92.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flyin Phil:

Does anyone know what is meant by this "heavyweight" reference and how one tells if they have the "heavyweight"? From this reference, I might infer that all 1996 RT/10's use the "heavyweight" engine. Insight anyone?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GEN1 motors are the "Heavyweights". When they came out with the GEN2 motors, they are 98 lbs lighter. Your 96 RT has a "Heavyweight" motor in it. 96 GTS's have the lightweights in them.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Got a book that says new engines are 80lbs lighter. Heads had thinner water jackets, head bolts shortened to trim 4.5lbs, new thin wall casting cylinder block -20lbs, new main bearing caps saved 2lbs each. Lots of changes, but no side pipes. Do you guys with GenI engines care? I am still shopping and read a lot about the newer cars being better, but don't know if that stuff means anything to me. Do you guys with the 96 RT/10s have the adjustable petals? Thanks..KW

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy07:
Got a book that says new engines are 80lbs lighter. Heads had thinner water jackets, head bolts shortened to trim 4.5lbs, new thin wall casting cylinder block -20lbs, new main bearing caps saved 2lbs each. Lots of changes, but no side pipes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flyin Phil,
Everything above and also less fluids [anti-freeze,oil]. The plant told me 98lbs?

Tiepilot,
15HP. A driver can make up 15HP.
supergrin.gif

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy07:
Do you guys with the 96 RT/10s have the adjustable petals? Thanks..KW <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No adjustable pedals.
frown.gif

You are correct in assuming that this stuff will make no difference to you. I absolutely love my '96 RT because it is a unique model compared to earlier RT cars. You should make your choice of Vipers based on what you want to use the car for. If you are going to be a track rat get a GTS, if you want a car that you can go ******* in and enjoy drives/cruising with an occasional track event get an RT/10. The ability to go semi-convertable was important to me and a requirement I enjoy for sportscar ownership. Two different cars for two different driver persona.

You may also want to consider that there are no roll up windows, the car rides hard and is considered primitive by some. The RT captures more of the spirit of what a nostalgic racecar is and did I mention there are NO cupholders.
laugh.gif