What oil are you using in your Gen 4?

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the manual says Mobil 1 0-40. Anybody using any other viscosity or brand oil?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As above. Interestingly, on a brand new ACR-X that I saw a couple of weeks ago, the oil cap was different...large, red...and with big letters that said "Mobil 1 15W-50".

Reaction score
The 15-50 should only be used in track cars for higher temp protection. A street car needs more flow for startup to protect at normal temps. I would stick with the 0-40 unless you are a track rat. I always use Mobil and have never had a oiling related problem so I trust it, others may disagree for personal reasons, but I change oil so much it probably wouldn't matter anyway. :rolaugh:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-40 went in at my first oil change at 500 miles. I'll continue using that even though it gets hard to find at times.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
kcobean, you may wish to consider attempting to arrange a discount on Mobil 1 0W-40 for your fellow VCA Regional Members with your LOCAL Mobil distributor...as we have successfully done...just a suggestion.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 15-50 should only be used in track cars for higher temp protection. A street car needs more flow for startup to protect at normal temps. I would stick with the 0-40 unless you are a track rat. I always use Mobil and have never had a oiling related problem so I trust it, others may disagree for personal reasons, but I change oil so much it probably wouldn't matter anyway. :rolaugh:
Could not of said it better and I respect this guys opinion.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subscribe to the Advance Auto Parts spam list, and they often send out really good deals. They had a deal a while back where you would get five quarts of Mobil One and a Mobil One filter for (I think) $24.99 with free delivery on orders that met a certain dollar amount. On top of that, they constantly send out coupons for $30 off a $100 order. I ended up stocking up on 0w-40 for the ACR for about $3.50 a quart (coupon was re-usable, so I just put in a bunch of separate $101 orders :) ), and got a bunch of filters for my other cars for free in the process.

EDIT: Just checked my spam folder and they have an OK promo going on right now. $29.99 for 5 quarts Mobil One and an Extended Performance filter. $20 off if you spend $100, $30 off if you spend $150. Free shipping for orders higher than $75. Not as good as the previous deal, but still dirt cheap.

July 2010 Flyer Specials - Advance Auto Parts

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subscribe to the Advance Auto Parts spam list, and they often send out really good deals. They had a deal a while back where you would get five quarts of Mobil One and a Mobil One filter for (I think) $24.99 with free delivery on orders that met a certain dollar amount. On top of that, they constantly send out coupons for $30 off a $100 order. I ended up stocking up on 0w-40 for the ACR for about $3.50 a quart (coupon was re-usable, so I just put in a bunch of separate $101 orders :) ), and got a bunch of filters for my other cars for free in the process.

Is there a Mobil 1 filter for the gen 4 engine? I thought Dodge had a special filter different from the gen 3 variant.

Reaction score
Use ONLY the Dodge filters, the so called premium filters do not flow enough to supply the engine with good oil especially at cold start. If the filter has restriction like this the bypass valve opens and you get dirty oil for startups, not desirable.

Is there a Mobil 1 filter for the gen 4 engine? I thought Dodge had a special filter different from the gen 3 variant.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use ONLY the Dodge filters, the so called premium filters do not flow enough to supply the engine with good oil especially at cold start. If the filter has restriction like this the bypass valve opens and you get dirty oil for startups, not desirable.

Thanks. Do you recommend oil changes after track events? I am doing Viper Days at VIR this weekend and will have approx.1500 miles on the oil after the weekend

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 0w-40 .I bought 2 a 5 qt.jug for 42.00 at Walmart the other day.They have it.Use only Dodge filters.If you buy a new Viper from Woodhouse they will give you a couple of filters if you ask.Ay lease they did for me.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1
2010 Ford Raptor SVT (6.2)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does this apply to the Gen II cars also? :dunno:

I've used the Mobil 1 from the parts store since I got my car.

:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery