What temp range should a 97 GTS run at?

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS and I have been together for 1 week now. Only thing that removes the smile from my face is watching the temp gauge move around. What is a safe operating temp range? Minumum I see is 190 degrees. Is the gauge accurate? And how does the summer heat affect it?

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I drive my 97' in traffic I'll run the a/c or defrost, it keeps the radiator fan running and the temps down.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think running your AC would get it hotter by getting the compressor going?
Runing your heat would cool it off.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the compressor is on it causes the fan to run. That is what cools it down.

For Viper temps note that the temp gauge on a Viper is more linear than a typical car. Typical cars decrease the sensitivity (or needle movement) in the normal operating range to minimize gauge movement. The Viper does not do so, and you are seeing the normal temperature change. Most cars oscillate between tstat open temp and fan on temp when at low speed or idle. Same for the Viper. You just get to see it on the gauge with the Viper. So temps in the 190 to 225 range should be considered normal.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. As long as I know that the 190 - 225 range is normal, I'm OK. Chris, thanks for explaining the needle movement.

When I picked the car up and drove it home, I was stuck in traffic for 50 of the 65 miles. Of coarse it was another 85 degree day here in So Cal. I wasn't used to seeing such hot temps on a car and thought I was overheating. I tried the heater but it blew cold air. Do I need to burp the radiator?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 225 is on the high side unless you are in stop and go traffic or under 25mph. Mine is usually in 190-200 at cruisingspeeds and 180-190 in winter. Check the level in your coolant overflow bottle. Try purging the air in your system. Here's a link: http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/purging.html. Also you might want to flush and replace the coolant.