Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
185 F.

Just replaced mine with a 170 F.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I just replaced my therm on my 04 and it was marked 185 although it ran at about 200 so I installed a 170 from Parts rack andit runs about 180 is this normal or ???? From what I am told the tach is slow to respond also to the true RPM so I am wondering it thats the case with the other gauges. Any thoughts???

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stock T-stat is a 187.

We do not recomend installing any thermostat lower than a 180, and the T-stat OEM in the SRT is perfectly fine (and works very well in Gen-2 as well) The adaptive fuel system in the factory PCM will "freeze" its tables and fail to update the cells below 175-178 coolant temp. This can pose a problem under changing conditions, especially long highway runs where the T-stat will allow coolant temp to fall below those levels. These temps also pose a problem for boiling off water in the oil.

Remember, changing a T-stat does NOTHING to your coolant temps if the car is not moving or if the fan cycle is changed, the fan ultimately dictates running temps on all but the highway.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I usually agree with Daniel, but not this time. If I could post pics, I'd take one of the T-stat I removed from my 06, 185 is stamped into the side as stated above, not 187.

Ultimately, t-stat choice depends somewhat on how you use your car and the air temps that you use it in.

If you have access to an interface with your factory computer, you can get a digital read out of the coolant temps being relayed to the computer. I have found on my two SRT-s, the temp gage reads low by about 10 degrees, i.e. when the in car temp gage reads 200 F, the actual temp relayed to the computer is usually 210 F. As you all know, most of our cars run a bit warm in summer, specially in heavy traffic.

Here in So Cal, unlike many other parts of the counrtry, air temps go from warm to warmer and sitting in stop and go traffic is no fun. A cooler running car is desired. Another reason to want a lower T-stat is if you track you car. Lower T-stats can help keep you car a bit cooler on the track.

Another reason to switch to a lower thermostat is that your oil temps will also drop as engine oil is cooled by engine coolant. This can make a difference on the track, on a hot day.

Finally, as Daniel mentions, I had the fan cycle revised to keep the engine cooler as well (DC can do this).

All things considered, a revised fan cycle and lower T-stat made both of my SRT's more pleasant to drive in hot weather and at the track.

Canyon 707, yes, your situation matches my experince.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Comments in Red...

I usually agree with Daniel, but not this time. If I could post pics, I'd take one of the T-stat I removed from my 06, 185 is stamped into the side as stated above, not 187.

We are splitting hairs, and are both correct- I just double checked. The T-Stat is stamped on the side as a 185, but the expansion bulb is stamped as a 187.

Ultimately, t-stat choice depends somewhat on how you use your car and the air temps that you use it in.

True. If this is mainly a track car w/frequent oil changes or a car that will mostly see scorching temps, a T-stat below 180 could be used- but I would not personally drive this car into the colder months with a T-stat that low.

If you have access to an interface with your factory computer, you can get a digital read out of the coolant temps being relayed to the computer. I have found on my two SRT-s, the temp gage reads low by about 10 degrees, i.e. when the in car temp gage reads 200 F, the actual temp relayed to the computer is usually 210 F. As you all know, most of our cars run a bit warm in summer, specially in heavy traffic.

This is true of some cars, depends how well the gauges were constructed. The gauge sweeps themselves are pretty accurate, but the pointer may be off. You can run the gauge test setup on any car to test and see first hand if the needles are in the correct place. On a side note, be aware there are MANY engine parameters that are based on coolant temp. These include spark maps, fuel maps, and an abundance of other smaller side tables and programs. You have to be careful about not being below 180 during changing conditions, as most of these tables are either frozen or incorrect as the computer does not think the engine is fully warmed up.

Here in So Cal, unlike many other parts of the counrtry, air temps go from warm to warmer and sitting in stop and go traffic is no fun. A cooler running car is desired. Another reason to want a lower T-stat is if you track you car. Lower T-stats can help keep you car a bit cooler on the track.

True, they can keep you cooler on the track as long as you keep moving- but in such situations, the gains are going to be very little. A ~5% temp change wont change much. On the street stop and go, ~13-15 degrees will only buy you maybe 30-60 seconds of gain on the temp gage before it heat soaks over the T-stat anyway.

Another reason to switch to a lower thermostat is that your oil temps will also drop as engine oil is cooled by engine coolant. This can make a difference on the track, on a hot day.

This is true, but you can always just bump it to 15W-50 on a hot day instead.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info I just installed a 170 and had DC Performance set the fan and a bunch of other computer mods My factory ran 200 degrees and the therm was stamped 185 so I must assume that the 170 will be running 185 on the gauge Right??? DC remapped my computer timming, Air /fuel, and some other things going to get it to the Dyno maybe today and see. Feels quicker

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Canyon707,

The 170 F thermostat and computer mod has been a very good change for me. The engine in my 06 coupe runs cooler, about 180 to 185 F as you stated, down from 200 - 205 F and the oil temps are cooler too.

Also, I have noticed more power even on warmer days. I think that the 2005-06 computer cuts timing based upon engine coolant temps more so than the 03-04 did, so the stock car makes less power on warmer days, specially at the track. The new 170 F thermostat helps with this.

As Daniel states above, your engine may run a bit too cool on cold days up north, but I doubt it. These engines are big and generally run very warm..... and if it's a bit cold, drop down a gear and play for a while, it'll warm up, always does.....

Dan

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Canyon707,

The 170 F thermostat and computer mod has been a very good change for me. The engine in my 06 coupe runs cooler, about 180 to 185 F as you stated, down from 200 - 205 F and the oil temps are cooler too.

Also, I have noticed more power even on warmer days. I think that the 2005-06 computer cuts timing based upon engine coolant temps more so than the 03-04 did, so the stock car makes less power on warmer days, specially at the track. The new 170 F thermostat helps with this.

As Daniel states above, your engine may run a bit too cool on cold days up north, but I doubt it. These engines are big and generally run very warm..... and if it's a bit cold, drop down a gear and play for a while, it'll warm up, always does.....

Dan
I live in N. Calif so the Temp here is always pretty mild to way to hot so I think it was a good move. cooler in the cab as well. I took this advice from DC Performance and I think those guys have some extensive knowledge on the Vipers. DC did several modes to the computer to optomize performance across the rpm range. I have yet to get it back on the dyno but will let you know the difference.
Chris

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant