What would you do?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a nice Burago Dodge Viper metal kit #70301. All parts are still in sealed plastic bags, decals and instruction are there and the box is in decent shape. It has been discontinued in america and europe however I found a online site in europe selling the discontinued kit for $30 euro, I figure that is about $50 american before shipping, after shipping I figure it would cost a total of $80 and thats if the online site even ship to america. My question is should I build it or should I keep it as is? What would you do?

Attachments

• burago 1.jpg
    burago 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 40
  • burago 2.jpg
    burago 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 28

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you plan on some day selling it for a profit - keep it as is.

If you plan on enjoying it and just having it as part of your collection - start building.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats kind of the dilemma I am having......i want to have fun building it however I'm new to die cast models and dont know how much money it could be worth in the future and if it is a no no to build a model kit.....i figure they didnt make that many of them and the ones that they did make most were built

If you plan on some day selling it for a profit - keep it as is.

If you plan on enjoying it and just having it as part of your collection - start building.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to die cast models and dont know how much money it could be worth in the future

I'd say enjoy your new found hobby, and a box of parts doesn't sound like much fun to me :dunno: As far as future value, I imagine there are better investments to make (how much are Beanie Babies bringing these days?)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some years back Jon B of Parts Rack got some of these, and issued a challenge to the SRT Engineers to put them together in a limited period of time.

The results were documented, and hilarious.

Believe these models were then auctioned off for charity.

These models became a part of Viper lore.

Not sure what happened to them.

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive always wanted a huge scale model car of the viper. i have assembled 10+ ertl viper models growing up. theres just something about snapping parts out of a tree, shaving off the flashing and the smell of that testors glue

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of those not long ago and I opened it and built it. I paid similar to you, around $20-$30 with shipping. It looks pretty cool built and done up, but the fit of some of the decals left much to be desired!! Beware!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought that kit a while back but the decals would not take the curves of the front bumper so I would not buy it again. Did anyone else have more luck than me?

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought some special decal liquid stuff from the hobby shop that is suppose to help with adhesion....was told its a must if you are doing decals on models

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know i know I should be playing with the big viper.......i'm just dreading all the work in the hot and humid weather, I think my tank in the bumper is cracked I plan of finding the problem of the antifreeze leak today

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I only paid $12 but if I had to have one I possible could order one from europe and after shipping I thing I would be around $80 bucks. I'm torn because its just a model and would be entertaining for a few hours to build it but its also cool to see the complete model in plastic and feel they will become rarer and rarer as the years go one because most people would build it, but for that to happen I would need to put it in a closet and forget. I think either way has advantages and disadvantages....i think I will just have to leave it up to my impulse vs willpower to determine the fate of the mini viper :)

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically it's the exact same car you would get in a already pre-built package you'd find. Is it worth that much? Absolutely NOT. For $80 you could buy yourself a much nicer AutoArt version. This kit, at best is worth $35-40 in my opinion. I don't remember where or how much I got mine for but it couldn't have been more than $30. Like Dan said the decals aren't exactly the best, probably more like temporary tattoos than actual decals (If you notice some letters and a fingerprint on mine, the decals became 'alive' again in humid hot air stored in a box) but when it's done you'll enjoy it. I went the extra mile and spray painted the wheels black. Chrome 5 spokes on whats supposed to be a race car doesn't quite look fast to me.:)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

--RS

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, despite the decals issues, take it out, build it, decal it up and enjoy it. There's no enjoyment to a boxed up car, and it does look cool once done, decal fitment issues be damned!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala