what year gts?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think they made red GTSs 1997 through 2002, but those are aftermarket stripes. The silver would be 1998+...I'm not sure what years they made them but I know 1992-1997 they didn't.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
what body style changes if any happened from 1996 to 2002---so many of the pics I see of them look so different--could just be the angles of the shots--some of the rear quarter panels on some of the pics I see look so wide in comparison to others.

what year are these 2 gts in this pic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any year preferable on the gts in regards to reliability?---also is there a breakdown chart for year and number of colors produced?----no body changes at all on the gen 2 coupes from 96-02? what years was the frame recall issue ?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any year preferable on the gts in regards to reliability?---also is there a breakdown chart for year and number of colors produced?----no body changes at all on the gen 2 coupes from 96-02? what years was the frame recall issue ?

There is a color chart on the International Viper Registry website, along with lots of other good info. There are a few errors here and there, but it's pretty comprehensive. There were no body changes on the GTS from 96-02 as Lee stated.

Frame recall:

Recall 998 -- 1996-1999 1/2 Steering Rack Mounts and Differential Mounts

Recall 999 -- 1999 1/2 (post March 1 build date) through 2000 JUST the STEERING RACK MOUNTS

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for preferrable year, the basic breakdown is this:

96-99: forged pistons, no ABS
2000: cast pistons, no ABS
2001-2002: cast pistons, ABS
1999-2002: ACR available

Color plays a huge role in personal preference in these cars.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am noticing on a few that I am looking at such as this 02 that they have some pretty unsightly gaps in the front hood?--is the just misaligned or has the car been wrecked?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am noticing on a few that I am looking at such as this 02 that they have some pretty unsightly gaps in the front hood?--is the just misaligned or has the car been wrecked?

It could be either, but hood alignment on these cars is a bit of an art, so it's not uncommon to see one that needs some tuning but is an otherwise clean car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood alignment is not indicative of anything, I've seen perfect ones and terrible ones on the same year cars. Hand built don't forget.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
can incorrectly alligned hoods be adjusted?---

Yup...but like they said, it's an art. Unless you have some experience or a lot of patience (or money for a $14k hood), I'd try and hunt down a high-end body shop with Viper experience or a Viper tech.