What's a fair price for this 1999 GTS?

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on another Viper (I had a Steel Grey GTS back in 2000, and I've always missed that car!) I've been following the market for quite a while now, and I feel like I have a fair idea of what these cars are actually selling for, but I could always use some other people's input.

There are a couple cars I'm seriously considering, but I like this particular one because it's local to me. I've met the seller and gone over the car, and it's very clean overall and well maintained. I haven't seen all of the receipts yet, but the mods are high dollar and should total around $25-30k with labor. Miles are comparatively average to high at 21,000.

Here's the ad on Viperclub (the car has been for sale for quite a while). He's been fairly firm on the price.

1999 Viper GTS, $30K professional mods - ViperClub Classifieds

It's tough to consider a high price for this car when I see great cars like this one that's having a bit of trouble moving at what I consider a fair price of $35k (less mods, however):

Viper GTS - Silver / Blue - 15K Miles - MINT! - ViperClub Classifieds

Thanks alot,
Ben.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on another Viper (I had a Steel Grey GTS back in 2000, and I've always missed that car!) I've been following the market for quite a while now, and I feel like I have a fair idea of what these cars are actually selling for, but I could always use some other people's input.

There are a couple cars I'm seriously considering, but I like this particular one because it's local to me. I've met the seller and gone over the car, and it's very clean overall and well maintained. I haven't seen all of the receipts yet, but the mods are high dollar and should total around $25-30k with labor. Miles are comparatively average to high at 21,000.

Here's the ad on Viperclub (the car has been for sale for quite a while). He's been fairly firm on the price.

1999 Viper GTS, $30K professional mods - ViperClub Classifieds

It's tough to consider a high price for this car when I see great cars like this one that's having a bit of trouble moving at what I consider a fair price of $35k (less mods, however):

Viper GTS - Silver / Blue - 15K Miles - MINT! - ViperClub Classifieds

Thanks alot,
Ben.

Guess your dilemma is IF you got a stock one, would YOU then want to mod it likened to the red car? If 'yes' then the red car is a fabulous 'done' version of what you'd ultimately want. If 'no' then the silver car.

Interestingly, I have a 2000 Steel gray car, one of I think 52. Did your car go to Florida? Mine came from there, VIN ends in 4904. Best wishes, a fun dilemma to have!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You won't see another silver/blue running around, but you may run into a red one :D The silver/blue seems like a better deal to me. He's a motivated seller and I've seen his posts; he guarantees you'll like the car because he's that confident in its condition. But if you plan on modding the hell out of your car and spending at least $30k in mods, then the other deal would suit you. Or just buy the silver/blue, pick up a used Roe for $4500 and call it a day.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't see another silver/blue running around, but you may run into a red one :D The silver/blue seems like a better deal to me. He's a motivated seller and I've seen his posts; he guarantees you'll like the car because he's that confident in its condition. But if you plan on modding the hell out of your car and spending at least $30k in mods, then the other deal would suit you. Or just buy the silver/blue, pick up a used Roe for $4500 and call it a day.

yup...what he said.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheels/tires, lowering, Rotors and Brake kit REALLY set the Red car off. Those 3 things alone, are an EASY $10k right there.. Not even getting into the other Mods.. Plus, youve seen this car, and like it.

I would buy the Red car, and do White/Silver Vinyl stripes.

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Pretty much what I figured. I'm still facing the tough decision on whether or not all of the mods are worth the extra cash (knowing myself, I'd probably do most of them and then some anyway!)

AHudson777,

I can't remember where my Steel Grey car went, but that's not the last 4 digits of my VIN. Steel Grey cars are beautiful and certainly rare, though (not to mention an easy color to keep looking clean and swirl free).

Taximan1,

Thanks for your insight. The wheels, brakes, and suspension are all premium mods that I love. Those kind of mods tend to hold their value a lot better too, since who doesn't love a badass set of 19/20's? :D

Ben.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't see that you were in Dallas, so nevermind on getting the silver/blue. That's too close for comfort! GET RED!

In all seriousness, if you plan on doing the mods on the red car then that's the best bang for your buck. If you were planning on keeping it mostly stock then that would be money wasted on stuff that you wouldn't want/need anyway.

RED FTW!

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see that you were in Dallas, so nevermind on getting the silver/blue. That's too close for comfort! GET RED!

In all seriousness, if you plan on doing the mods on the red car then that's the best bang for your buck. If you were planning on keeping it mostly stock then that would be money wasted on stuff that you wouldn't want/need anyway.

RED FTW!

Thanks! :D I think my decision is getting a bit easier...and now that you mention it, a nice roe supercharger sounds like a good idea too...hmmm..

Ben.

V

Venomiss

Plus you won't have arrange any shipping if you buy the red one either.
Is this purchase going to happen soon?

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus you won't have arrange any shipping if you buy the red one either.
Is this purchase going to happen soon?

Yeah, I'm still trying to come to a final deal with the seller, but we're getting closer. Hopefully soon, although I'm getting married in November so my schedule is a bit full right now!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red car is worth maybe 30k plus the mods (maybe another 8-10K) total = $40K on the high side if you like red, i wouldn't pay more than 35k for it personally.

silver car is worth just about what its listed for. $33-34K

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard decision to make seeing BOTH cars are very unique in their own right. However, I'd have to purchase the Silver/Blue GTS which is priced right!

V

Venomiss

Yeah, I'm still trying to come to a final deal with the seller, but we're getting closer. Hopefully soon, although I'm getting married in November so my schedule is a bit full right now!

So in other words you need it for the wedding pictures.

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the silver one! :) I will PAY your way here and back IF you do not like it!

Tax does not want you to get my silver car because he wants it! lol

Good luck with your choice!!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say go with the silver car. Beautiful color combo. If however you really like the mods and plan on doing them anyway then go with the red. The price seems a little hight to me though even witht the mods.

OP
OP
B

Ben Gratt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I've got my eye on a car or two right now, and I'm actively working on deals. We'll see what happens -- hopefully I'll have some shiny new pictures to post sometime soon.

Ben.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with the silver one. Top quality car from what I have read. 35k for that car is very much worth it...even in this depressed market. Drive for a few years and sell at a minimum 33k (still assuming depressed market).

FallenAngelHIM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The red one looks good. I agree with everyone else, it depends on if you want to modding done already or if you want to do it yourself or if you want to leave it stock-ish.

If it was my money, I'd hope on the Red one. I'm a HPDE guy so I would jump on that red one since it's pretty much race ready. StopTech brakes and KW Coilovers won me over.

True, the silver/blue one might be more rare, but again that's up to you. Would you rather a collector's item or just a street car? Of course, no Viper is JUST a street car anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960