What's Up With Dodge? - Why Are SRT-10 Prices Tanking So Fast?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s Up With Dodge? - Why Are SRT-10 Prices Tanking So Fast?

I would imagine SRT-10 owners would be pretty pissed at this fact. Why is Dodge releasing 2005 SRT-10s so fast? MANY and I mean MANY dealers still have 2004 SRT-10's still sitting on their showroom floor and some even have 2003's. Dodge is flooding the market and as a result the prices are dropping drastically. I just spoke to two different dealers about 2004s and as a result I was able to take the cars for $68,000 each. THEY ARE BRAND NEW!!! One is a Mamba in Black and the other is a plain black one. What is going on???? You know there is a problem when a $85,000 MSRP plus taxes car is going for $68,000. Tell me this is not only me. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge *****!! - Why Is Dodge Releasing 2005 SRT-10\'s So Fast?

No one is responding? Come on guys. Dodge is not going to kill you.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe its a function of locality/demand; Black Mamba's on the show room of two dealers near me are over 90 thousand. One just sold. Demand in many of the Northern States fade when buyers feel "top down weather" is fading due to the fall season approaching. Here in Sunny Southern Florida you do not see any "excesses" of 04/05 Vipers among the dealers. I had to travel upstate to buy my White Mamba. Prices were too high in this area.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, have you not noticed that its almost '05? And secondly, why do you even care?

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

August is the traditional month to release the next year's model of American cars.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Because in two weeks, they're releasing the Coupe and they know the 05's are going to sit on showroom floors for a long time when the Coupe is announced.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It took Dodge many years to get the Viper model year in line with all their other models. In '92.... they made '92 all the way into December of '92 while their other '93 models where in the show rooms in August of '92.

The distribution system now in use for Vipers in no way resembles the one used for many years. In the past they only made a Viper when it had a buyer; a "Sold Order". This no longer appears to be the case and cars are showing up in the most bazaar places in dealers that have never sold a Viper. It's strange.

Sounds like you need to carry those '04's to Florida to sell.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'll give you 70 for the Mamba... :D

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like that is what needs to be done. Sad to see that people are loosing so much money on their new cars before they even leave the showroom floor. Sorry but I will never buy a new Viper again. Next year it is not far fetched to pick up a low mileage 2003 for mid to high 50's.

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Why are you complaining? You got the two 04s for a steal as a result.

Scott

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think you were low balled(sp) by the dealer since they knew you were not a buyer. Go back and be serious, they will add gas guzzler, dest. charges, etc. well you get my point.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These cars are through serious people. I did not get low balled. Looks like the dealer sold them and then bought them back so no gas guzzler tax. One has 100 and one has 400 miles.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott

A steal. I will just wait a bit longer and get them at a better deal.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Scott

A steal. I will just wait a bit longer and get them at a better deal.

I call BS on this thread. :usa:
Maybe F355 is just another one of those (few)
disgruntled pre-Gen3 cooks who gets a rise out
of stirring the ***...hard to spot 'em, isn't it. :smirk:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You drive a Dodge! So I guess the car you are driving *****! We have a Mamba that the dealer is selling for 90+. By the way it is almost '05.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Less demand for the SRT-10's than any other viper. That's why the prices are coming down so fast. The new coupe will not help either.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who even cares?

I don't.

I plan on driving my new 04 SRT-10 hard, and when the warranty is over, I'm not going to sell it, I'm going to mod the heck out of it. Nice supercharger, or maybe a twin turbo system.
Resale value isn't even on my radar screen.
My Viper is a toy, not an investment.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s Up With Dodge? - Why Are SRT-10 Prices Tanking So Fast?

I call BS on this thread. :usa:
Maybe F355 is just another one of those
disgruntled pre-Gen3 cooks who gets a rise
out of stirring the ***...hard to spot 'em, isn't it. :smirk:

Oh yeah, you wish you were right. Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2487134608&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2488643396&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488634407

Now there are many people that are out there that say they did not buy their cars for an investment but many do not expect their "money pit" to just tank. This is my point. I am not a hater of any sorts, just bringing something that I thought was interesting, to the attention of the VCA.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

F355.......You've been drinking tonight,fess-up.......

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I'm gonna go look at this red SRT I see everytime I pass by a local dealership, and check the sticker. Maybe its a "new" 2003? <shudder>

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT 10s are just not as popular as the Gen I & II cars. Ford has presold all of their allotment of 2005 GT's at almost double the price of the Viper and with only 50 more HP.

There are about a dozen sports cars/GTs on the market selling for over six figures and Lambhorghini, Ferarri, Porsche, Mercedes etc. are having no problem selling out their model year - so the economy is not really to blame.

The new SRT 10 has not been embraced by the masses no matter what opinions are of the it's design.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT 10s are just not as popular as the Gen I & II cars. Ford has presold all of their allotment of 2005 GT's at almost double the price of the Viper and with only 50 more HP.

There are about a dozen sports cars/GTs on the market selling for over six figures and Lambhorghini, Ferarri, Porsche, Mercedes etc. are having no problem selling out their model year - so the economy is not really to blame.

The new SRT 10 has not been embraced by the masses no matter what opinions are of the it's design.

NO - that's a bunch of hooey! Many high dollar brands are suffering right now. The Hummer dealers, after balls-on intial success with the H2 (because they were new, I'm assuming) are now suffering severly lagging sales, according to the automotive press. The Ford GT is brand new, of course it will do well. It's a great deal compared to the cars that it is targeted against (Ferrari 360, high end 911's, etc). The SRT has sold fine coming out of the gate. The dealer that I got mine from (in a sleepy little Oklahoma town) sold 5 of 6 '04's that came off a trailer together, in just two weeks, during the summer! I think that many of the dealers that get stuck with these cars are in that situation because they tack on outrageous amounts of $, above and beyond the sticker. The economy just won't support that right now. And if you think that the state of the economy does not effect the American consumer's appetite for $80k "toys", like the Viper, you need wake up.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go by any Ferrrari dealer and show me one new 03' 360 modena on their lot.

That car has been out since 1999 and they are still difficult to get ahold of and are still marked up over MSRP at some places.

The Ferrari is a 5 year old design costs more and performs less than the Viper, and they have no problems with their sales.

the H2 is not a sports/GT. And also the factory had to ramp up production and made/sold at least 20% more than expected in 2002 it's first model year out. So the current fallout in H2 sales is it's market saturation.

The SRT did not sell like that in it's first year. After the initial dealer markups/rapes there where plenty of 03's sitting on showroom floors at a discount as the 2004s rolled in.

The Vipers need a more aggresive design like the previous Gen cars.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The distribution is different and production is up, but even if they show the coupe soon it will be 1-2 years before you can actually buy one. Prices do seem to be easy to deal on, but that has been the case since we got past the 1992-1993 period.

All I know if the last Vett I purchased lost $12,000 in just one year, and at this point I don't think the Viper Prices have dropped that much in a year, at least I have not heard of any drastic drop like that.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

'92 around 200 vipers made and ramped up slowly from there, now they make 1800 per/yr rain or shine. they make the money selling to the dealers and on warranty service and parts. DC probably does not care what the dealers can sell for they will make money on the the car(dealers) even at dealer invoice!

GeneEllis2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its not helpful to the value and reputation of a new car to have so many problems. All new cars have problems, but lets face it, the SRT-10 has had many more than most of us would have expected. My wife and I enjoy our 2003 SRT-10 for relatively short Sunday drives, but don't truly trust its reliability (we are taking our 2000 GTS to V0I - - - a 750 mile one way drive). In terms of resale value, what informed buyer would be willing to pay a premium price for a used 2004 given the countless threads on "loose engine bolts"? If you did buy one, you would doubtless demand an incredibly thorough inspection by a well seasoned, up-to-date viper tech. All of this would logically seem to be reflected in resale values.

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. I believe it is a distribution problem. I talked to one dealer who complained about other dealers getting cars who never sold Vipers before. The northern states will sell out early because of the short season for top down driving. Here's a perfect example. I just bought a 2004 Chevy SSR as my daily driver. When I talked to dealers 6 months ago, they all had a "market adjusted" price of either 5-8k on the msrp. So I waited and bought mine for below sticker. Because dealers do not want to be stuck with a convertible during the winter months. I also heard from a delaer that they may be phasing the Viper out within a few years.