What's Up With Dodge? - Why Are SRT-10 Prices Tanking So Fast?

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge *****!! - Why Is Dodge Releasing 2005 SRT-10\'s So Fast?

Most automobile manufacturers are now releasing their 05 models. Porsche has the new 05 997 already on the lots, Chevy has the new 05 C6 Vette on the lots, etc.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go by any Ferrrari dealer and show me one new 03' 360 modena on their lot.

That car has been out since 1999 and they are still difficult to get ahold of and are still marked up over MSRP at some places.

The Ferrari is a 5 year old design costs more and performs less than the Viper, and they have no problems with their sales.

the H2 is not a sports/GT. And also the factory had to ramp up production and made/sold at least 20% more than expected in 2002 it's first model year out. So the current fallout in H2 sales is it's market saturation.

The SRT did not sell like that in it's first year. After the initial dealer markups/rapes there where plenty of 03's sitting on showroom floors at a discount as the 2004s rolled in.

The Vipers need a more aggresive design like the previous Gen cars.

I agree. The competition for the Viper is NOT having ANY problem selling their cars. Ferrari with the 360, the new 430, Ford with the GT, Porsche with the GT3, they are all not sitting on showroom floors and selling for 20K under sticker. The new Viper just did not have what the old one had and now prices are reflecting that.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if the hummer h2 is having bad sales it is because it is butt ugly and does not perform offroad near well enough when compared the hummer h1. also it is very unreliable compared to the hummer h1.

as far as the new viper srt-10. sales are down for several reasons. #1 i think the majority of people feel that the gen II viper looks better. personally i don't care much for ******* cars but i do think the srt-10 looks better than rt-10. i also think that the gen II viper coupe will look better than a new viper srt-10 coupe will whenever it comes out. dodge needs to release a coupe version of the srt-10 ASAP to encourage more sales of the viper. alot of people like myself want a coupe and won't settle for anything less.

another problem that i see is that for a lot less money you can buy a Z06 and get 90% of the vipers capabilty for way less cash. i think one of the reasons dodge is lowering the price on the srt-10 is because the new C6 corvette looks alot like the srt-10 and has very comparable performance for alot less money. the other reason that they could be lowering the price is because the new viper coupe is coming out and they wanna make sure that they have sold plenty of srt-10's before the coupe hits the showroom floor further exacerbating the srt-10's lagging sales problem.

if dodge does not win the sports car wars than they are idiots in my opinion. they have by far and away the most powerful emmisions legal - low grade gasoline guzzling engine on the market with the 500 cubic inch V-10. if they throw the same technology at there engine that chevy has put into the new ls2 engine than they would be making close to 600 smog legal horsepower on 91 octane. ford and chevy can put all the turbos and superchargers they want on there engines in a attempt to make up for there lack of dispalcement. at the end of the day dodge could do the same and still blow there doors off. why? because the viper engine has cubic inches baby! there simply is just no replacement for displacement. if i was dodge i would milk it for all its worth and screw the competition. imagine a 500 cubic inch hemi headed low compression V-10 engine with a supercharger like fords new GT has on it. a engine like this would make 750 crank horsepower and pass emissions. this would just bury the competition.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. I believe it is a distribution problem. I talked to one dealer who complained about other dealers getting cars who never sold Vipers before. The northern states will sell out early because of the short season for top down driving. Here's a perfect example. I just bought a 2004 Chevy SSR as my daily driver. When I talked to dealers 6 months ago, they all had a "market adjusted" price of either 5-8k on the msrp. So I waited and bought mine for below sticker. Because dealers do not want to be stuck with a convertible during the winter months. I also heard from a delaer that they may be phasing the Viper out within a few years.

This is what I am saying. Dodge is not taking the full responsibility to distribute these cars correctly so that the values do not tank. I know of one dealer in particular that got 6 black Mamba's but three others in the area that sell a viper or two a year did not get any. Dodge should make distribution somewhat even, minus the few HUGE Viper dealers like Buhler, Fitz Motors, and Roanoke.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The distribution is different and production is up, but even if they show the coupe soon it will be 1-2 years before you can actually buy one. Prices do seem to be easy to deal on, but that has been the case since we got past the 1992-1993 period.

All I know if the last Vett I purchased lost $12,000 in just one year, and at this point I don't think the Viper Prices have dropped that much in a year, at least I have not heard of any drastic drop like that.

Just checked for two 2005s and they are asking $79,000 and $81,000 and they are still brand new on MSO. That is without any haggling yet. Might be heading that way in a year. The Mamba I spoke about and the other black one did fall so over $12K.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Corvettes where at the end of an eight year design cycle with a new generation imminent for almost two years. The first two years resale value of the C5 did not drop off as drastically as the SRT 10s are.

The C5, when introduced, was a signifigant improvement in both Perfomance and DESIGN over the C4. That is not the case with the SRT 10.

The C6 has been greeted with alot of Lukewarm responses and constant references to evoultion instead of a revoultion in the new model. I beleive there is a parellel between the situation with the new Generation of Corvettes and Viper.

But, GM is set to strike with the new 2006 Z06 set to debut at the NAIAS in four months (more radical design close to 3000lbs and approx 500HP). Where is our higher performing Viper Coupe? The Viper simply trounced the C4s - yes even the ZR1 when it was introduced. That will not be the case in one year when the new Z'***** the showroom.

I feel DC is letting the Viper become second bannana - it is not even the most powerful engine they make - AMG 65 in both the SL and CL is rated @ 605HP and & 735lbs/Trq. - and similar #s with the SLR engine.

I just yearn for the days when the Viper was breathtaking in every way. I still get thumbs up every time I drive my 11 year old RT/10.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fast Freddy, you could not put it better. I spoke with Buhler about the coupe and supposedly they are trying to make a 650HP engine. Hum....

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regarding prices, its the same old story: the law of supply and demand. Here in so cal, I have seen (last week) new 04 SRT10's going for either 5 or 10k over sticker at almost every dealer that I spoke to. I guess I was lucky to get mine at 7k under sticker 2 nights ago!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Corvettes where at the end of an eight year design cycle with a new generation imminent for almost two years. The first two years resale value of the C5 did not drop off as drastically as the SRT 10s are.

The C5, when introduced, was a signifigant improvement in both Perfomance and DESIGN over the C4. That is not the case with the SRT 10.

The C6 has been greeted with alot of Lukewarm responses and constant references to evoultion instead of a revoultion in the new model. I beleive there is a parellel between the situation with the new Generation of Corvettes and Viper.

But, GM is set to strike with the new 2006 Z06 set to debut at the NAIAS in four months (more radical design close to 3000lbs and approx 500HP). Where is our higher performing Viper Coupe? The Viper simply trounced the C4s - yes even the ZR1 when it was introduced. That will not be the case in one year when the new Z'***** the showroom.

I feel DC is letting the Viper become second bannana - it is not even the most powerful engine they make - AMG 65 in both the SL and CL is rated @ 605HP and & 735lbs/Trq. - and similar #s with the SLR engine.

I just yearn for the days when the Viper was breathtaking in every way. I still get thumbs up every time I drive my 11 year old RT/10.

wow, just think save all the dollars buy a c6 z06, then every day you drive it
you can see another of the colors you didn't buy plus as a added bonus you'll
be able to see you exact same car if front of ya, behind ya and beside ya, neat
no need to ever take pictures. i just cant believe you all haven't sold your
vipers yet. sooooooooooo if you really need the cash and can't afford the #1
sports car in the world and you fell prices are dropping oh so fast, i'll give
ya a low ball offer and pay you cash. that being said, rush on over to your local chevy dealer, get in line with all the others and buy yourself a brand new corvette, good luck and enjoy it.

tom a true viper owner, all gen's I, II AND III :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sooooooooooo if you really need the cash and can't afford the #1
sports car in the world and you fell prices are dropping oh so fast, i'll give
ya a low ball offer and pay you cash.

You are missing the point. Yes, prices falling is part of the problem, but we are also talking about the Viper no longer being number one. I mean once the C6 Z06 new Shelby Cobra arrive,they are all going to whoop the Viper. There is also the matter of the Ford GT. Yes, you might say that the GT is more expensive but Dodge always said that the Viper would be number one regardless. This is where I am trying to go with this.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What makes you think that there won't be a Viper coupe with over 600HP shown at NAIAS that steals the vette's thunder?

MILES42

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe its a distribution problem, i am seeing Vipers on Dealership lots that i havent seen before. Maybe its the design, the SRT-10 has kinda lost some of its Viperness, the C6 to me doesnt look like a Viper, its more the other way around the rear fender and door handle of the SRT-10 seems like it was lifted straight off a 68 Corvette. The C6 looks like an update of the C5 with 63 Vette thrown in, dont get me wrong i like the Viper :cool: , i just wish it looked more like a Viper, i love the rear end on the RT-10, it looks mean and lethal, the whole design say poised and ready to strike, kinda like a ...... Viper. Its intresting to sit and read all the comments here and other boards regarding what Dodge should do to the viper to stay on top...What is the definition of Viper ?

2. A dangerous, treacherous, or malignant person.
Who committed
To such a viper his most sacred trust
Of secrecy .
How many pictures of SRT-10 prototypes mules have you ever seen?
How many people didnt know the SRT-10 was going to be unveiled at the 2001 Detroit Auto Show ?

The C6 Zo6 will come out swinging in January in Detroit, but i Dodge think has its Poker face on now, waiting to play that Trump Card in Detroit 1/2005 ?

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TO F355, i see your post a number of times in the forms and have always enjoyed reading them. BUT! i think your way over blowing this price drop and what others are really paying, however, if they get a great deal well hey good for them. remember there were over 1800 vipers made in 03, more then most years. it really takes a certain person to buy one. now lets count the super deals that people bought the car for and the price others paid and have a average price, medien price, high price, low price. what i paid for my new 03 is of no business to anyone but me. i need not brag or complain about what i paid. i paid what i was willing to pay for the car and what the seller was willing to sell it for. i now have my dealers licence and from what i hear from you i should make a killing in the very near future but really i dont see that happening. i am going to start offering a service to all vca members in connecting buyers and sellers for their cars. if you feel the need to sell or really need the money email me or call me and i will help in any way for those who really need to sell your car. bottom line is there might be some deals to be had but few and far between. it is best time of year to buy, summer over winter coming, new models coming into showroom. like any other car dealers are making room for the new ones. commen sence as i see it. also i think a post like this in the form is so negative for all of us and comes with nothing positive. i know free speech but as i tell my kids think before you speak. very sorry to say but my opinion of you has changed just from what your saying in hear, sorry but thats my free speech.

tom

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know a great deal about what is going on with Corvette, and I can tell you that the C6 Z06 that will be at both the Detroit and LA shows in January will have 475HP tops, will weigh in at about 3100 pounds, and will cost around 60K. the big plans for Corvette is the Blue Devil, which will be a very limited production car, coming out in 07 or 08, and will have well over 700hp and will cost around 100k. I also know that the SRT10 is the fastest production convertible made, as well as being just a stunning car, top up or down. And here in So Cal, a convertible is King! I have had my silver SRT10 for 2 days, and everyone who has seen it just loves it. It may not be as radical looking as Gen I or Gen II, but the lines are so clean and sculpted! And, the top goes down!!!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know a great deal about what is going on with Corvette, and I can tell you that the C6 Z06 that will be at both the Detroit and LA shows in January will have 475HP tops, will weigh in at about 3100 pounds, and will cost around 60K. the big plans for Corvette is the Blue Devil, which will be a very limited production car, coming out in 07 or 08, and will have well over 700hp and will cost around 100k. I also know that the SRT10 is the fastest production convertible made, as well as being just a stunning car, top up or down. And here in So Cal, a convertible is King! I have had my silver SRT10 for 2 days, and everyone who has seen it just loves it. It may not be as radical looking as Gen I or Gen II, but the lines are so clean and sculpted! And, the top goes down!!!

WHO LOVES YA BABY ? I DO LMFAO :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

WELL SAID :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if the hummer h2 is having bad sales it is because it is butt ugly

That is as true as it gets!

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TO F355, i see your post a number of times in the forms and have always enjoyed reading them. BUT! i think your way over blowing this price drop and what others are really paying, however, if they get a great deal well hey good for them. remember there were over 1800 vipers made in 03, more then most years. it really takes a certain person to buy one. now lets count the super deals that people bought the car for and the price others paid and have a average price, medien price, high price, low price. what i paid for my new 03 is of no business to anyone but me. i need not brag or complain about what i paid. i paid what i was willing to pay for the car and what the seller was willing to sell it for. i now have my dealers licence and from what i hear from you i should make a killing in the very near future but really i dont see that happening. i am going to start offering a service to all vca members in connecting buyers and sellers for their cars. if you feel the need to sell or really need the money email me or call me and i will help in any way for those who really need to sell your car. bottom line is there might be some deals to be had but few and far between. it is best time of year to buy, summer over winter coming, new models coming into showroom. like any other car dealers are making room for the new ones. commen sence as i see it. also i think a post like this in the form is so negative for all of us and comes with nothing positive. i know free speech but as i tell my kids think before you speak. very sorry to say but my opinion of you has changed just from what your saying in hear, sorry but thats my free speech.

tom

I am sorry that your views have changed but I am just stating the facts. Some people just can not handle it.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I spoke with Buhler about the coupe and supposedly they are trying to make a 650HP engine. Hum....

Keith,
I'm curious if Buhler was telling you the truth. ;) 650hp wow! only 200hp and $365,000 less than a ME-412! I don't see what the probablem is! :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh and by the way, I do not need to sell my car. I am not in a financial situation where I need to and I hope that is not the impression you are getting from this.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I spoke with Buhler about the coupe and supposedly they are trying to make a 650HP engine. Hum....

Keith,
I'm curious if Buhler was telling you the truth. ;) 650hp wow! only 200hp and $365,000 less than a ME-412! I don't see what the probablem is! :2tu:

I would hope they are. It would be pretty sad if they weren't.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm seeing the GTS and the charger in a couple months.It be cool if the SRT version of the charger would have a viper motor in it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I agree with Kai,

WHO EVEN CARES!

It is a bit early to call the SRT-10 a failure, and clearly, specialty vehicle prices can vary by market forces / geography, economic conditions, dealer behavior, rumors of loose bolts, "coupe nuts" whining, etc.

If a "coupe" is in the works and the convertible is phased out, as some of the "coupe nuts" would like, the SRT-10 may do better long term than you think.

Have fun with your SRT-10's. I love mine.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ferrari's attitude is to make one LESS than you think you can sell, therefore there is always a demand for the car. As soon as the new 430 Modena(or whatever it ends up named) the 360 prices will drop 25-30k quickly as they become yesterdays fashion(like most cars). Dodge makes a business plan based on makeing 1800+/- and will make them all and doesnt care what the dealers can sell them for they feel that eventually they will all sell(we all know what a tremendous value the SRT is for your sports car dollar!!). Also when/if an upgraded/uprated powerplant is available our early model SRTs will also take another hit. Remember these are just cars and when you drive them off the lot they are just USED cars(abiet very fast and beautiful used cars)!!!!!!!!

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score

""I just spoke to two different dealers about 2004s and as a result I was able to take the cars for $68,000 each.""

""A steal. I will just wait a bit longer and get them at a better deal.""

So which is it? The first sentence implies that you purchased the two cars. The second statement that you will wait a bit longer to get a better deal. In either case you will benefit from the low prices.

Scott

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the comment about the SRT being the fastest convertible out there. I have no need for a cocoon. The only way I would ever buy a coupe is if they offered it with T-tops or open cockpit like the C6.

BTW, for all of the other sports cars a convertible version costs more than the coupe, and holds its value better.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh yeah, you wish you were right. Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2487134608&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2488643396&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488634407 The 1st one was already posted in another thread low feedback score and that was not selling price! :D The other two have not sold yet have they? :shocked: Do you think they start the bid off low for a reason? :rolleyes: Of course not,you don't want anyone interested do you? :D I think someone was bored and wanted to get a rise out of people and that is why this was started. :rolleyes: Also why don't they post about there own values up@down or does this only happen with srt10. :( This is like pi$$ing in the wind all but a waste of time.BOTTOM LINE I DON'T CARE IF THE BOTTOM FELL OUT AND I JUST PAID STICKER ON MY SRT/10 AND IT WAS ONLY WORTH 50000. :2tu: These cars a"greeeeeat"as tony the tiger would say.And worth every penny! :2tu:

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think you don't buy cars for an investment, you buy the cars to drive, and who care's whether they hold their value or not. They are just cars. You drive them, you have fun doing it and it's either worth the money or it isn't. If it not worth it then buy a Neon or something. I wanted a Viper since I first heard about them in '92. I've never made money on a car because I'm not in the car business. I am kind of jealous that I had to work at getting a Viper as long as I did, and you were given one. I think you recommended to a young perspective owner that you would not of bought one if you had the choice. You either want one or you don't. If the kid want's to work to buy a Viper, let him do so. That's the motivation that just might make him successful. If the car losses value it was worth it for the experience. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you don't buy cars for an investment, you buy the cars to drive, and who care's whether they hold their value or not. They are just cars. You drive them, you have fun doing it and it's either worth the money or it isn't. If it not worth it then buy a Neon or something. I wanted a Viper since I first heard about them in '92. I've never made money on a car because I'm not in the car business. I am kind of jealous that I had to work at getting a Viper as long as I did, and you were given one. I think you recommended to a young perspective owner that you would not of bought one if you had the choice. You either want one or you don't. If the kid want's to work to buy a Viper, let him do so. That's the motivation that just might make him successful. If the car losses value it was worth it for the experience. Just my 2 cents worth.

Just because I was given a Viper and did not buy one myself has nothing to do with anything. I am not some rich spoiled brat that gets anything he wants! I said I personally would not have bought one at the same time (High School) if I was able to afford it because I would put the money in real estate and THEN buy a Viper after I turned profits on the properties. I was lucky to get a Viper and I am VERY much grateful.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh yeah, you wish you were right. Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2487134608&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2488643396&category=6209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2488634407 The 1st one was already posted in another thread low feedback score and that was not selling price! :D The other two have not sold yet have they? :shocked: Do you think they start the bid off low for a reason? :rolleyes: Of course not,you don't want anyone interested do you? :D I think someone was bored and wanted to get a rise out of people and that is why this was started. :rolleyes: Also why don't they post about there own values up@down or does this only happen with srt10. :( This is like pi$$ing in the wind all but a waste of time.BOTTOM LINE I DON'T CARE IF THE BOTTOM FELL OUT AND I JUST PAID STICKER ON MY SRT/10 AND IT WAS ONLY WORTH 50000. :2tu: These cars a"greeeeeat"as tony the tiger would say.And worth every penny! :2tu:

Hey, check again. The third was HAS sold!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey, check again. The third was HAS sold! -F355

Hey ya F355 ... The pending Ebay 'sale' that you point to may very well be bogus and in fact proves nothing. Ebay auto sales, especially the one's that appear to auction off at prices “too good to be true” such as this, in many instances are not completed and for a variety of reasons: sellers refuse to sell, cars aren’t as described, deadbeat bidders, etc. And when does one maybe sale by an apparent desperate seller determine market value for a car anyhow—it doesn’t. Stirring the *** with bs and grasping at straws to substantiate some ill conceived theory on how the market is saturated with Gen3's and their owners are doomed to lose is just plain asinine. Collectively, us SRT-10 owners are smart and savvy bunch and we own a great American supercar, we've not lost anything, we've won big buy making a great buying decision and enjoy an unreal driving experience every time we step into our Vipers! In case you haven't figured it out, for most of us our SRT-10 owner’s our car is a toy not some do or die investment. Fact is, enthusiasm for the Viper lives on and it’s contagious...the Viper is doing just fine and should continue to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960