When did powdered metal liners really go away?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering about that myself, when JonB posted it, I thought he meant 10/26/99, not 10/26/00, else all the 2000s would have proceeded it. So what's the relevance of those liners and what else would be there?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will give you my semi-educated answer, having one of the "original" powdered cylinder sleeve cars. JonB did a typo - if he said 10/26/00 he meant <u>10/26/99</u>. I was told it was the first +/- 200 Vipers for the 2000 model year. As I recall they started down the line September 14th or so of 1999, so that gives you about a month of production.

Now, I would add that even if you have one of these early cars, you may not have a problem! If you have not experienced excessive oil burn (mine was a quart every 350 miles), you are probably just fine. It is my understanding that these sleeves were SO hard that the rings sometimes wouldn't seat properly. They were made of powdered metal compressed at something like 600,000 lbs per square inch. Hard! Bottom line: If you have an early 2000 (model year) Viper, you may have these sleeves. If you haven't burned much oil at this point, your rings probably seated just fine and you shouldn't have any trouble. Indeed, the early 2000's seemed to dyno pretty strong because of the tighter tolerances offered by these sleeves.

Enjoy your car and just be sure to check your oil. Powdered sleeves or not, you shouldn't go through much oil outside of the track (the track is a different story). I had Arrow resleeve my motor (complete rebuild) and it is AWESOME!

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456