Where is the Idle Air Control Motor Located, Spark Plug help.

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I need to clean my Idle Air Control Motor as my idle is hanging every now and again, however I can't seem to locate it. If anyone can lead me in the right direction of where it is located I would appreciate it. Also I went to change my spark plugs the other day and I am scared to death on how tight they are in the head. I had a
breaker bar on the socket before I finally said enough was enough as I DO NOT want to break one off in the head. Does having the engine warm help, or has anyone
had this issue and have a solution for me. I believe they are the original plugs in there and I have new ones and a new set of wires I want to put on. Thanks again for any and all help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II? The IAC should be on the front right side of the intake manifold.

The spark plug should not be that tight. if you get it off with no damage, make sure to use anti-seize on the threads.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just removed a spark plug seized in an aluminum Miata head. Not a good feeling at all. I used penetrant for a few days but that didn't help at all since it was essentially cold welded. It took effort on every turn of unscrewing it. A new plug did torque back in, but for how long. Oh well, it's just a 20 year old Miata.

This is good reason for us to recommend to new (and old) owners to change plugs and make sure there is anti-seize, so that we don't wait so long that metal transferrence happens.

Good Luck ! This might be the time where you get a professional, experienced mechanic (Viper tech if there's a good one near you) to change plugs !

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spark plugs come out easier when the motor is warm. If you have a stubborn one, warm the motor up, then pull the wire and carefully shoot some water from a hand spray bottle on the plug. Try to cool and shrink the plug, while the head is still warm. Next, tighten the plug *just a touch* before loosening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang