Where to go to test Top Speed?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
219 mph on a open road, with rough surface, other cars around, no safety equipment, a hand held camera waving around in the cab, in experienced driver, clueless passenger.

"Hay y'all...watch this"

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One mile is not near enough to get the car to top speed. A stock SRT-10 will only get to about 160+ in a mile.

Not sure about that. I have a 96 issue of Motor Trend where a bone stock GTS did a standing mile at over 170.

Do agree though that one mile is no where near enough space. Need at least 3-5 miles and lots of runoff room to be "safe" if that word can even apply here.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I have a 96 issue of Motor Trend where a bone stock GTS did a standing mile at over 170.

Do agree though that one mile is no where near enough space. Need at least 3-5 miles and lots of runoff room to be "safe" if that word can even apply here.

I've run the standing mile a bunch of times at the Sandhills Open Road Challenge in Nebraska.

158-162 is the range for stock Vipers (Gen II or Gen III)

Maybe a difference in altitude accounts for the extra speed in the Motor Trend test.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Kai,

It's likely that elevation cut the top speed at Sandhills. I have not run Sand hills, but I have run the Silver State.

Most Gen III stock Vipers got to 150 - 155 mph in the mile at the Silver State (6500 feet above sea level).

Some of the magazine tests are run at or very close to sea level.

Dan:usa:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The MT test was done at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Dan, I bet your 04 SRT could make the standing mile close to 200. Id love to see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187