Where To Mount Temp Sender?

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed a 2004 Viper engine in a 1959 Plymouth and after 3 years almost have the project drivable. :rolaugh: I now am installing aftermarket gauges (Stewart Warner Maximum Performance) and can't figure out where to mount the sender for the water temp gauge. It says not to wire it into the temp sender that goes to the computer because it will mess up the computer signal. Is there a threaded plug anywhere that I could remove and mount the sender, or will I have to drill and tap new one? Has anyone else mounted an after market water temp gauge? Thanks for your help!
Jim

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have installed a 2004 Viper engine in a 1959 Plymouth and after 3 years almost have the project drivable. :rolaugh: I now am installing aftermarket gauges (Stewart Warner Maximum Performance) and can't figure out where to mount the sender for the water temp gauge. It says not to wire it into the temp sender that goes to the computer because it will mess up the computer signal. Is there a threaded plug anywhere that I could remove and mount the sender, or will I have to drill and tap new one? Has anyone else mounted an after market water temp gauge? Thanks for your help!
Jim

Depending on the sensor style, I would drill and tap a new mounting hole right into the thermostat housing right along side the computer's temp sensor.

OP
OP
B

Big Jimbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. The sender looks similar to the stock sender with the same threads. I was hoping there was a removable plug somewhere, but it sounds like drilling and tapping will be necessary.