WHICH ONE IS FOR THE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT....9005 OR 9006??

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, i have noticed some vipers has the 9005 in the low beam (projector) housing, and some has the 9006 in there....what's going on?? i do NOT think there is any difference, but i just wanna know what year to what year uses 9005 or 9006...so please post whatever one you got in ur car(what year)...it should says on the bulb itself...thanks

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's weird is that 9005 is usually hi beam for most cars, and 9006 is low beam for most cars. On most cars, only one bulb is on at a time.

However, on the Viper, when you have it set to "low beam", it powers on a bright "normally hi beam on regular cars" bulb. When you set the viper to "hi beam", it powers on BOTH the hibeam and lowbeam bulbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, my personal car takes 9005, but a customer told me his car takes 9006....anyone else wanna jump in this and tell what you have on what year car?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Service Manual for 1996 RT/10 and GTS says:
9005 LOW Beam
9006 HIGH Beam
Later,

To be clear, the 9005 is the brighter bulb (usually 85W). The 9006 is lower (usually about 80W). What I said and what Ruck said is both correct, I believe... low beam on the Viper turns on the 85W bulb, and high beam on the Viper turns on both the 85W and 80W bulbs at the same time.

In most cars, hi beam is 9005 and low beam is 9006 because only one bulb is on at a time. On the Viper, "normal" low beam driving is with a bright bulb (say, with a factor of 1x), whereas hi beam driving is more like a factor of 1.5x (ie, second bulb which comes on isn't as bright as the first one, when compared separately).

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS, Low Beam OEM Halogen Bulb: Sylvania 9005, 60W

2827Dsc00128.jpg

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
alright, now what's 9011 like most viper has in their high beam? i compared it to 9006, they are the same?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting - found this on a web site:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulb_help.htm

"The 9005 and 9006 are single element bulbs and are high and low beam respectively. You will have two bulbs per side - one 9005 and one 9006. The difference here is aparent. The 9005 has no cap and is used as a high beam bulb. The 9006 has a painted cap to block the light from leaving the bulb straight ahead and is used as a low beam. Other than that, there are slight differences in the keyways for assembly with the lamp and the keyways for the plugs."
There is a picture at the site showing the 9005 and 9006.
Like I said above, the Viper Service Manual says 9005 for LOW beam, and 9006 for HIGH beam.
Are we now totally confused?????
Oh well.
Later,

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That totally makes sense Ruckdr... like I said in my post above, the viper uses a "9005 hi beam" bulb in its lowbeam switch setting, and then uses both a "9005 hi beam and 9006 low beam" combination when you switch it to hibeam on the control switch.

Most cars use one or the other... the Viper uses one or both :) The lowbeam bulb is never on by itself on the Viper...

So, when talking bulbs, you have to be specific with the Viper... ie, do you mean the bulb, or the switch settings when referring to low or hi beam.

There, did I confuse everyone even more :) ?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Achilles99,
"There, did I confuse everyone even more?"
YES; so I gave up and went out, took the forward inner fender liner our, removed the light bucket cover and LOOKED. :rolleyes: :eek:
BOTH sockets (HIGH and LOW beam) have 9005 bulbs in them; independent of what the Service Manual says (see above). With the lights on low, the outer light is on; with the lights on high (including blue high indicator on the dash), BOTH bulbs are on, and again BOTH are 9005 bulbs.
So, are all Vipers the same ? To find out what you all have, open the light bucket and LOOK, independent of the Service Manual ( :( :( ).
Now I am happy, relative to my Viper :) :) :2tu: :2tu:
1996 RT/10
Later,

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, that makes things more complicated. My 98 GTS had both 9005's and 9006's as described above (although I don't know if it was originally that way). Now, I'm going to have to check the 01 GTS :)

My guess... the factory put in 9005's in both sockets for ease (or perhaps someone thought they were the same :) . If a dealership had to replace a bulb, they probably consulted the factory manual.

This thread is hilarious. I'm sticking with 9005's and 9006's like the manual says. Having two 9005's MAY draw too much wattage for the system :)

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is indeed becoming hilarious :confused: :) :confused: :) ; I didn't mention that all 4 9005 bulbs are 60Watt; so if the factory turns on all 4 (high and low beam) then the draw should not be too great. Do all 4 bulbs come on with your high beam indicator on? I also know that mine have not been changed.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look at this site to learn about 9011 and 9012 bulbs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=7918892355&sspagename=rvi:1:1
I purchased the 65 watt 9011 bulb for my Audi high beam and replaced a 60 watt 9005. The 9011 was much brighter and without the possible damage that can be caused by high wattage (100 watt) bulbs. I also bought a set for the Viper, but haven't put them in yet. I can say that, in the Audi, the 9011s are much brighter than the stock 9005s. I believe that the Viper started using the 9011 in late 1998 for the high beam and still uses them today. I'm not sure if they used the 9012 in the low beams. You will need to do a little grinding on one of the 9011 tabs to get it to match the 9005, but this is very easy with a Dremel grinder. Make sure that you do not touch the envelope with your fingers as this will burn your finger prints into the glass. If you do touch it, just clean it with rubbing alcohol before installing it. If you have the HIDs in the low beam, this bulb makes a nice addition to upgrade the high beams, although it will still look slightly yellow compared to the color of the HIDS.
Jerry Scott
Denver

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GG,
I will take a picture of the bulbs, and try to get a picture of how they look with lights on as installed. Don't know how that will turn out. Give me a little time to get posted.
Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GG,
The easiest way to see the pictures you requested is to click on the "21 Photos" under my Avatar and look at the 3 pictures posted of the lights. Hope this is good for you.
Later,

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the URL handy, but the light output of the various 9005 halogens varys by at least 50%. Something like "somebodies" Super Whites are the brightest at something like 1500 lumens (others are as low as 900) and these are between 55-60 watt bults - none of that high power stuff.

HIRs in that reference are about 2500, and HIDs are over 3000.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer the part about the 9005 highbeams being used as low beams.

ruckdr's info said the 9005 bulbs have no cap and therefore it seems they should be high beams, yet they are used as low beams. If you look in the headlight housing, you will see a metal plate hanging halfway down the opening of the low beam light projection, creating the hood effect (i.e. the projected light hits the road and not the oncoming driver's eyes.) The metal plate even has a cut-out so that it projects light to the left and right side aiming low and also allows the light to shine a little higher to the right (curb) side. I would assume this plate eliminates the need for the painted cap on the bulb.

The high beam opening has no plate. The headlight I've got apart has 9005 bulbs in both high and low, and that makes sense now; high beam bulb for high beam and high beam bulb with shadow effect for low beam.

Makes me thing those with 9006 bulbs for high beams :cool: are a little dim... :crazy:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456