Which radar detector?

Dave_F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the Valentine 1 mentioned here several times. Is it the best, or is the ****** 8500 competitive? Any suggestions of which one I should get, including other models that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The V1 with its directional arrows, front & rearward-facing radar antennas, and superior sensitivity really sets itself heads and tales above the rest in my book—a must have item in the cockpit.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got both. The V-1's arrows make it the best.

I also like my 8500 as it has better selectivity (fewer false alarms) though I believe it might be at the expense of some range vs the Valentine.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

I have the 8500 and it has never let me down. Never had a Valentine, so can't compare. Don't think you'd go wrong with either.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine is the BEST, others pale in comparison. BTW, on all Infiniti FX45, and others I am assuming, they have a lasar guided cruise control. YOUR V1 will go off like crazy and you'll think you just got busted by some State Trooper with laser. Don't fret, just look around for one of those vehicles.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a good question. What happens when you are driving one of these laser cruise cars? Do the cops get a funky signal? Does their readout DOUBLE the MPH? Can't be the same wavelength the cops use...they wouldn't allow it.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine is the BEST, others pale in comparison. BTW, on all Infiniti FX45, and others I am assuming, they have a lasar guided cruise control. YOUR V1 will go off like crazy and you'll think you just got busted by some State Trooper with laser. Don't fret, just look around for one of those vehicles.
Also Chevy Trailblazers, my V1 goes nutz if I'm behind one and they start to brake. Something in the way the rear lights are on the Trailblazers, it sets off any detector. There was a big article on it somewhere, on how people with detectors had them go crazy if near a Trailblazer braking.

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LOVE my V1. Wouldn't trade it for anything. When my truck got broke into, the theives stole my indash screen, but bypassed the V1 (thank god for that one!)

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as which laser is used by troopers and which one is used by Infiniti, it has to be the same. I don't think there are different laser bands like there are in radar technology. Your question might be directed to Valentine directly though; they really make the best radar out there, period.